• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've heard that the RAST isn't completely 100% safe for traversing the helo into the hangar, as the helo can still tilt while hooked up in rough seas, and this tolerance that allows the tilt is enough for the helo to hit the hangar edge as it's moving.

That is correct. The beams aren't meant to hold the helo on deck and even if they do, the wheel struts still compress as the ship rolls so it can cause the tail pylon to impact the door/hangar face. There's also a tail probe that can pop out which will stop guiding the tailwheel down the track.

As we always said...RAST to land:squat to pee.

I think it would be "RA to land..." since the we still have to get it in the trap for the "ST" part.

Seriously, though, I think it's one of the more unsafe evolutions (the RA part). You have guys out there on a wet, rolling flight deck, at night, trying to connect a cable to a 10 ton pig while also trying not to have their legs get wrapped up in the cable. Meanwhile the LSO is trying see what he can and keep the cable from getting caught up on the trap so it won't part (which has happened to me).

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
... all this chopper talk makes me nauseous
iconpuke.gif

SF

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's one: getting ready for workups last cruise, a couple of our Paddles discovered a Nomex cold-weather coverall in the supply system. They looked like and were made from the same stuff as the heavy Nomex jackets but were cut like flight suits. The other LSO's snickered at them at first, but after one trip to the platform off Virginia in February, it was "so where'd you guys get those?"

Anyone else ever seen these things? I've searched the supply catalog in vain, but I know they exist.

magnetfreezer

Here's one: getting ready for workups last cruise, a couple of our Paddles discovered a Nomex cold-weather coverall in the supply system. They looked like and were made from the same stuff as the heavy Nomex jackets but were cut like flight suits. The other LSO's snickered at them at first, but after one trip to the platform off Virginia in February, it was "so where'd you guys get those?"

Anyone else ever seen these things? I've searched the supply catalog in vain, but I know they exist.

CWU-64/P http://www.tpub.com/content/logistics/84/15/13/01-225-4742.htm

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I asked a P2 pilot I met at the airshow that very question and he looked at me like I was retarded and said "for the same reason we put jets on everything else...to make them go faster."

Flugelman

Contributor
Why did the Neptune have props and jets?

The jets (J-34s, IIRC) were used for takeoff and emergencies only. They were shutdown inflight and only started for landing or in the event of an engine failure of one of the recips. (R-3350's) On approach the jets were idled but were available in case of a missed approach or waveoff. They ran on the same 115/145 avgas as the recips.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The jets (J-34s, IIRC) were used for takeoff and emergencies only. They were shutdown inflight and only started for landing or in the event of an engine failure of one of the recips. (R-3350's) On approach the jets were idled but were available in case of a missed approach or waveoff. They ran on the same 115/145 avgas as the recips.

My old man (from his P-2 days) always told me how you all reported an increase in cruise speed after losing a recip (normally to be met with confusion from ATC)

Flugelman

Contributor
My old man (from his P-2 days) always told me how you all reported an increase in cruise speed after losing a recip (normally to be met with confusion from ATC)

Was probably a result of altitude loss...:confused:

Kidding aside, one of my roomates at NUW was the Julie operator on a P2 that lost an engine on a transpac home from deploymant. They were only able to maintain altitude on the one recip after jettisoning every thing except essential radios and navaids, and only a couple of hundred feet at that. They had the jets idled and were heading for nearest land, (Guam) when the other recip backfired and quit. They were in the water before the jets had time to spool up.

They were all safely picked up by the SS Cleveland.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently saw one of these somewhere and was wondering if I could get supply to get me one for the coming winter. with the way our supply works i'd be better off just finding one online, though.

I just bought one off eBay for $45. Kinda limited selection, though I managed to find one in my size from an Army-Navy-type retailer. It's for personal use and I don't really have access to the Supply system around here, anyway.

Mostly I wanted one for riding the Harley into work during the winter months. The moderate chill of the Pensacola winter doesn't really warrant serious bundling up, plus it looks more uniform than civvie riding gear.

highside7r

None
USMC Hornet question. I noticed on the photo site Fencecheck.com that some VMFA(AW) squadrons had a few single seat Bugs in squadron colors during a recent Nellis event? Other than FCF's or transfering the jet, why would a "D" have an empty backseat?

Status
Not open for further replies.