• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Too many years of pussies who spent careers burning flight hours over the boat doing "DCA" and "CAP" are telling guys who've been to war they aren't needed anymore.
I'd love to hear an expansion on this.

sickboy

pilot
I've always heard it called "the weather pole" Or the thing that fooling the system into thinking the CVN is a sub.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
How often do you take the flight physical once you're active duty?
Once a year, usually in your birth month or the month right before that.

There are a couple circumstances when you might do more than one in a year-

If it's going to be due while you're deployed and you won't be able to get it done on deployment, then they'll work around that (might mean you see the flight doc right before you deploy and then again right after you get back).

When you first join, everybody going to flight school gets one when they first get to Pensacola. After that, you always do it in your regular month, even if the flight school flight physical was a few months before your birthday (unless the flight school one was the month prior to your birth month, then it also counts as your regular annual flight physical).

The EKG and the moon river surprise aren't every year, they work a little different.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
I’m blanking on this. On the Carrier, what’s the tower on the forward quarter starboard side called? Usually had the wind measurement on it?

"Belknap Pole" thats interesting, haven't heard that one. The rest of the world just calls it a forward mast since it's literally just there to mount the forward mast head light ICW The Rules. Also useful for having the Cadet/Midshipman climb it and wave a metal yard stick back and forth to help you "calibrate" the X/S band radars... :rolleyes:

've always heard it called "the weather pole"

You were always a hard in the briefs when it came to technical terms ;)