• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

robav8r

None
Contributor
That's the whole point of showing the weight board, so aircrew can confirm its accuracy. There's absolutely no reason to be concerned, because you correct the deck crew's error before you're launched. So, yes, I managed to be launched and recovered safely in spite of the incompetent deck crew's 50% crap shoot on getting the details right. Don't take it personally. That's precisely why that procedure exists.
Typical fun sponge . . . .

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
What used to blow my mind as a Hornet guy was seeing Rhino assym weight boards as I was being aligned on the cat. WTF does 53,100 mean? ?

All Rhino (E/F/G) airwing now, the weight boards have "settled out" somewhat- they're usually within an adjustment or two of my actual aircraft weight. Interestingly, since we ditched the A-D, there is generally less wind over the deck now too.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
5 wet Rhino is 66k. Typical Rhino is 54k before you starting hanging a lot of stuff on it. I think the Growler is typically 58-60k on a normal day.

66K can't be a comfortable cat shot. Clown jet was fun, single centerline Hornet was noticeably less comfortable but still a lot of fun. But 60k+ has got to hurt a little bit.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
That's the whole point of showing the weight board, so aircrew can confirm its accuracy. There's absolutely no reason to be concerned, because you correct the deck crew's error before you're launched. So, yes, I managed to be launched and recovered safely in spite of the incompetent deck crew's 50% crap shoot on getting the details right. Don't take it personally. That's precisely why that procedure exists.
By “incompetent” I think you meant your lazy ass SDO sent the same canned weights down (when they bothered to get them in on time) that was nowhere near accurate and our procedure to verify the weight YOU told us matched YOUR plane worked to save you from your own laziness and ineptitude.

My crew never had a soft shot, and worked 16-20 hour days to make sure you could get launched on your sortie.

You are talking out your ass Brett, maybe you should spend a few hours outside your office and work with my ABE’s instead of slamming them in public.

Smilies and shit, with all due respect, whatever...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My crew never had a soft shot
Not talking about soft shots, so not sure how this is relevant. You're welcome to speak to your experiences as a Shooter on one ship. I, in turn, am speaking of mine. It's not a contest.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Only the tanker flies five wet right?

Correct. I don't off the top of my head know if you could theoretically substitute the centerline ARS for another tank, but I know "4 wet" (i.e. no ARS but the other 4 wing tanks) is illegal. In terms of takeoff weight, you are pushing max TO weight for the E/F in 5 wet, basically no extra weight available to carry anything else on the outboards or wingtips assuming you are fully bagged out, so no practical use in flying 5 wet for anything other than tanker. That and it flies like a dump truck.