• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Ugh. Every time something like this happens, I think it's the IWAGR guys trolling these parts.

But then I realize that they have better stuff to do, and indeed this is life.

Last edited:

Huffs09

None
I went to the VT-4/VT-86 Winging last Friday and one of the new NFOs from that class was selected to go EP-3Es. I was under the impression that that platform was slated to retire in 2019, so this was surprising. When I asked one of my instructors, he said that they were in fact still allowing VT-4 grads to select the EP-3E but it was very rare. Does this mean the retirement of the program has been put on hold/delayed? I doesn't seem like the Navy would still be sending people to the FRS essentially in the same year as the planned retirement of the platform.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I went to the VT-4/VT-86 Winging last Friday and one of the new NFOs from that class was selected to go EP-3Es. I was under the impression that that platform was slated to retire in 2019, so this was surprising. When I asked one of my instructors, he said that they were in fact still allowing VT-4 grads to select the EP-3E but it was very rare. Does this mean the retirement of the program has been put on hold/delayed? I doesn't seem like the Navy would still be sending people to the FRS essentially in the same year as the planned retirement of the platform.
Replacement not ready yet. Still need the platform. I’d bet a case of beer she’s still flying in 2029...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the plan still to replace it with the MQ-4? Or did they decide that they still need a manned platform for the mission?

From Wikipedia:

The Triton is equipped with a modular electronic support measures (ESM) suite, similar to the one used on the Lockheed EP-3, to passively detect and classify faint radar signals. It is able to triangulate and geo-locate these signals, allowing mission planners to create an enemy "electronic order of battle" profile, or keep the aircraft and others outside the range of enemy radars and air defenses. Detecting and locating the source of radar signals would also be useful for locating military vessels at sea for potential targeting. Low- and high-band signals receivers to give it a multi-INT (SIGINT) capability will be fielded in 2021 as part of an integrated functional capability (IFC) 4 configuration; further changes are planned for IFC 5 upgrade in 2024.

And an article with more info.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
This is more of a general question and I realized I haven't even stepped aboard on a Naval aircraft yet but I feel a bit concerned about how hard it is to manage everything on an aircraft, say for an example a jet, not only do you have to fly but you have to manage all the systems and I am wondering how of y'all do that.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is more of a general question and I realized I haven't even stepped aboard on a Naval aircraft yet but I feel a bit concerned about how hard it is to manage everything on an aircraft, say for an example a jet, not only do you have to fly but you have to manage all the systems and I am wondering how of y'all do that.
Do you know how you get to Carnegie Hall?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
One button at a time. That is what flight school is for.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
You should be concerned. It's literally not possible and no one has ever done it.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

As a new guy in the helo community, you're typically only responsible for the lights and ashtrays, so it's not that big of a deal. ?