• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Python

pilot
Contributor
Dumb question, but why do people choose to go to Vance for primary? Is there any benefit to it?

I'm pretty far removed from the primary conversation...but I'm pretty sure people haven't been going to Vance for years.

Those people usually were voluntold (but not all)....

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Dumb question, but why do people choose to go to Vance for primary? Is there any benefit to it?
Back in 2007-2008ish, some people were dumb enough to pick Vance because they could start primary sooner, and their time to train was lower. At the time we were waiting about six months to start API. Mostly people were voluntold, either through bad luck or for pissing off the MOC officer.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in the days of the Tweet, getting to "fly a jet right away" was an allure for the easily impressed. As @croakerfish mentioned, Ensign Wisdom held that its helped you get selected for jets (it didn't). On the less-gullible side, the more regimented program and predictable schedule (you knew on the day you checked in what day you'd complete) was attractive for some, especially when the Navy program was suffering fits and starts and frequent delays in training. And I was friends with one guy who volunteered because he was from Oklahoma and just wanted to go back to Oklahoma.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Might have to explain that one to the young-ens Fester. Tweet means something different to them.

The mighty Tweet, and butch half-brother, the A-37:
220px-T-37_020925-F-9999s-0014.jpg
300px-OA-37B-1.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Why are regular working uniforms digitally camouflaged? That's the far more perplexing question.
Despite the fact that Big Navy will tell you that it's there to hide paint stains I'm convinced the true reason is that the Navy started exploring he concept of a Cammie uniform by asking the troops what they wanted and about that same time urban camo was super cool and the Sailors they asked wanted to look cool. And then the narrative was changed to make it seem like there was so.e thought that went into all of this (as anyone who has ever worn NWUs could tell you it's pretty apparent that no thought went in to the uniform at all).

I believe the Army and AF have multicam flightsuits for use in country. There just never been enough of a need for the average USN squadron to justify spending that kind of scratch on.