• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Nailed it. Out in Japanland, things are done a little differently. All aircraft are listed by time of departure on the air wing schedule, and each individual aircraft is its own 'event' of sorts, even if flying in section/division/etc. Your squadron radio callsign gets put in front of the event number, and that's your ATC callsign. For example...

LIBERTY 1 0900
CHIPPY 2 0915 (section lead)
CHIPPY 3 0915 (dash two)
WARLORD 4 0915
DBACK 5 0930
etc etc

The only thing is the Japanland thing isn't really an ATO.

On a regular OEF ATO, Radical Dude pretty much nailed it. The only thing is that sometimes you'll see a mixed section go in country from two different squadrons if one of them filled as a spare. They both will use the planned callsign, even if that one doesn't necessarily belong to their squadron.

WEGL12

VT-28
Got a quick question that I couldn't find after searching around. Is there any drawback on the military side of things if one joins the Freemasons? Been thinking about joining for a while but heard some rumors that many look down on it in the military. If it will have a good chance of hurting my career I would just pass on joining. Just wondering anyone's opinion on this is. Thanks!

KBayDog

I've known quite a few Masons in the military. Never been an issue for them.

Now these guys, on the other hand...

stonecutters-tshirt.jpg

kris142

Hey everybody, this is my first post and I have a few questions. I figured I would first give some background info about me instead of starting a whole new thread for an intro. Well my name is kris, I've been into aviation since I could walk. As a young kid growing up on military bases from Ca, to Va, to Japan, etc I was always obsessed with planes. My mom used to take me to the flight line growing up on a weekly basis to fuel my fire. Even today I drive 50 miles to MCAS Mira Mar to watch the planes and help me relax. It's my peace zone. I always said as a little kid that when I grew up I wanted to fly jets, but i never really knew that this was truly my dream until I matured, my eyes opened and I've decided this is truly how I want to live my life. I graduated high school class of 2012, and I'm about to complete year 1 in community college. I'm not sure how I want to approach doing this yet. I plan on talking to a recruiter soon, the only reason I havn't is due to a bad rep of our Navy Rec. for ripping people off more than usual, it's just a matter of getting my dad to come along and inform me of what is true and what is not. I've purchased books and other information to help me reach my goals, I want as much info as possible Now with that over with.. questions.

1. I've read that major does not matter, as long as you have a 4 year degree. But I've heard (don't remember where) that they prefer those with engineering degrees and such. I plan on getting a degree in sociology. Will I have any less of an opportunity of making a dream become a reality?

2. Is there any benefit to getting a civilian pilots license before starting this. Is it a good headstart? I am fully aware they teach you all that you need to know. My parents are talking about me taking classes and getting my license.

3. This one might be kind of weird, but what kind of classes did you take in high school, and what grades/gpa was earned. Just curious where I stand.

I have more, I'll ask later.

Thank you for your replies, sorry if my questions seem redundant to others.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
1. I've read that major does not matter, as long as you have a 4 year degree. But I've heard (don't remember where) that they prefer those with engineering degrees and such. I plan on getting a degree in sociology. Will I have any less of an opportunity of making a dream become a reality?

Major does not matter. Fact. You will have to take two semesters of calc and physics though. Might as well choose a major that you can fall back on. My mom was a sociology major...unless you are very interested in working with others to solve their difficult problems for little pay and no thanks, it isn't a very marketable major.

2. Is there any benefit to getting a civilian pilots license before starting this. Is it a good headstart? I am fully aware they teach you all that you need to know. My parents are talking about me taking classes and getting my license.

No benefit other than the obvious intrinsic benefit of getting to fly and see if it is really your life's dream. It will get you pretty much no extra edge in the recruiting and service selection process and a very small leg up for the first part of primary.

3. This one might be kind of weird, but what kind of classes did you take in high school, and what grades/gpa was earned. Just curious where I stand.

The easy kind, 2.0 to 2.5 gpa. See below about the enlisted route.

First off, make sure you are talking to an officer recruiter. They are much less prone to schenanigans and blowing smoke. If you want to fly aircraft in the Navy, going enlisted is a long, difficult road to get there. In today's economy, the Navy has zero problems making their recruiting goals, so he is going to give it to you straight. If that doesn't work, to talk to a local NROTC unit.

You need to eat this elephant one bite at a time. First step is to go talk to someone and get the ball rolling. You could be disqualified for any number of things. There are a lot of options available to you to get started. You could do the NROTC college program somewhere, straight NROTC, OCS, etc etc.

Best of luck.

kris142

Major does not matter...Best of luck.

Thank you so much for your reply sir! I appreciate the info. I need to see the officer recruiter but the nearest one is about an hour and a half away in the middle of down town San Diego, so it will be harder to find that time. Yeah Sociology is my second option, it was more of just a thought I had going last night and began to consider it. I did some research today and didn't see a good profitability out of it or a broad career field for that matter. It seemed as though the best Sociology jobs are teaching others about it lol. I think I'm going to go ahead and start kinesiology classes this summer since I've been into weight lifting for the last few years. This leads me to a new question..

I have watched many videos of pilots, ride-alongs, NFOs and trainees going though G force training. One pilot said bigger stalkier guys handle G's like its nothing. I'm curious if thats true for you guys? I'm a stalkier person, at least compared to most people around here. I'm 5'9" 170lb at 8% BF.

Thanks again for the replies!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a stalkier person, at least compared to most people around here. I'm 5'9" 170lb at 8% BF.
Hmm, interesting. Stalky: "A creepy stalker who has no friends except those who this person stalks. Everyone wants to kill this person"! :eek: (Urban Dictionary).

Could you mean... like 'reedy', 'tall & slim', 'willowy', or 'brick s##thouse'?;)
BzB

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Thank you so much for your reply sir! I appreciate the info. I need to see the officer recruiter but the nearest one is about an hour and a half away in the middle of down town San Diego, so it will be harder to find that time. Yeah Sociology is my second option, it was more of just a thought I had going last night and began to consider it. I did some research today and didn't see a good profitability out of it or a broad career field for that matter. It seemed as though the best Sociology jobs are teaching others about it lol. I think I'm going to go ahead and start kinesiology classes this summer since I've been into weight lifting for the last few years. This leads me to a new question..

I have watched many videos of pilots, ride-alongs, NFOs and trainees going though G force training. One pilot said bigger stalkier guys handle G's like its nothing. I'm curious if thats true for you guys? I'm a stalkier person, at least compared to most people around here. I'm 5'9" 170lb at 8% BF.

Thanks again for the replies!

I am pretty sure we have whole threads devoted to this if you want to search around. Long story short: yes, that is what the physiologists say, but it really isn't going to matter since you will build a g tolerance based on the flying that you do. You have about 63,000 things to worry about before you get to g tolerance in the checklist of things to prepare for. There are tall jet guys, there are short jet guys, there are fat jet guys, there are skinny jet guys. Being stocky (or stalky as you young kids like to call it) may be great, but it may anthro you out of something too.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So, Kris, (what are they naming kids these days?) here is what I would do in your shoes:
1: Find the Officer recruiter, and MAKE time to see him. Take whichever of your parents was the AD service member with you to filter the bullshit.
2: Decide if you really want to join the Navy/Marine Corps.
3: If the answer to #2 is "yes" then find your route
-Route 1- Enlisted (aka the fucking hard way) you can enlist, before or after your degree is complete, and apply for a number of entry points to a commission...I'd try route two through four before route one, because route one is a pain in the ass.
-Route 2- The USNA- You are still young enough to get in, but judging by your questioning of GPA and grasp of the English language, this may be a hard road for you.
-Route 3- ROTC- This may be your best option. Find a ROTC unit, apply, join, get college paid for, get a commission, enjoy college
-Route 4- OCS- Pay for and finish your degree in basket-weaving. Make sure you take the right electives to qualify for OCS (the USN has a great website for info) avoid getting arrested, doing drugs, ruining your credit...use said degree in basket-weaving to apply to OCS...go to RI for thirteen weeks...get a commission
4: take the ASTB and OAR. Will determine if Navy will let you fly.
5: Lots of paperwork-start your route
6: get Commissioned
7: API, Primary, NSS above 50, T-45's, Jets, G's, Hot Bitches, Retire
Pickle