• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Wow. I'm legit pissed at myself for missing this thread. That being said its easy to make fun of the fat kids because we don't drop bombs/land on the boat etc... Believe me I'll be the first in line to make fun of TACAMO, but it's a big deal to sign for an aircraft that has 22 folks in it besides you. It's an entirely different realm of responsibility altogether than any TACAIR guy will ever have. Not any more or less, just different.

Besides, if shit went down my airplane can bring more ordnance to bear than every bomb on every carrier ever launched. Not that it matters, because I can't even enter the break, much less look cool doing it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps the TACAMO guys can do something about the parking ordinances in DC. That shit is criminal. :D

jtmedli

pilot
If you were a helo crewman, then for the sake of your tacair integration, you have forgotten everything you ever learned about flying in that job.........shockingly, it only takes one call for the rest of us to taxi/takeoff/get cleared for an approach/etc, not 48 minutes of trucker comm and confusion :) (donning flamesuit from helo bubbas)

Yeah it only takes one call for us to do that too: "Hey Tower: Present Position Takeoff Please." :D

Treetop Flyer

pilot
VT doesn't equal stupid. I've been in the Navy as long as most junior O-4s and have operated with several different communities...broad generalizations about responsibility levels across communities are always going to be wrong no matter what rank you are.

VT does not equal stupid. However, talking trash about flying CAS at night, on goggles, in the weather, when you have never flown CAS or on goggles (congrats on being in an aircraft wearing goggles) is pretty stupid.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I have 2 or so hours of nvg time, too! Granted, it was fucking around in the back because we had to take them with us, even though we never trained with them and they hardly ever worked and were only for the observers. I even made a panini in the dark without waking up the FE. War is hell.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Perhaps the TACAMO guys can do something about the parking ordinances in DC. That shit is criminal. :D

You are the former ordie, I thought you would be all over that.

P.S. This is the same city that reelected a crack addict as mayor and now the city council, how do you expect anything to work right in that city?

phrogpilot73

shockingly, it only takes one call for the rest of us to taxi/takeoff/get cleared for an approach/etc, not 48 minutes of trucker comm and confusion
That's fine. We'll stop requesting present position to shorten things up for you. Then you can taxi/takeoff behind us instead of us getting out of your way. Oh wait. We'll probably still be flying before you - you'll still be sitting there waiting for your "IFR Release". :)

And I also know your lying your nuts off too... No self-respecting helo guy gets a clearance for an approach, unless it's our instrument check.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And I also know your lying your nuts off too... No self-respecting helo guy gets a clearance for an approach, unless it's our instrument check.

Ok ok that was a bit of an exaggeration. Still the amount of comm is unusual to me. Perhaps that is just the nature of the beast

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok ok that was a bit of an exaggeration. Still the amount of comm is unusual to me. Perhaps that is just the nature of the beast

It's a symptom of Wingfiveitus. It's an inexplicable need to add comms even though there is no instruction mandating it, all because that's how it was done in the HTs. I've spent at least two tours fighting the syndrome, but I fear we're losing the battle. But with your help and additional funding...

phrogpilot73

It's a symptom of Wingfiveitus. It's an inexplicable need to add comms even though there is no instruction mandating it, all because that's how it was done in the HTs. I've spent at least two tours fighting the syndrome, but I fear we're losing the battle. But with your help and additional funding...
Pretty sure MIDNJAC is out of Oceana, so he's probably also seeing Norfolk-isms. Instead of a simple "Ground, Goose 11 taxi VFR with information foxtrot", the call we're required to make is "Ground, Goose 11 single CH-46E taxi for a Lima Departure with information foxtrot. We have 4 souls, 3+00 and will be outbound for 2+30". And then we repeat it because the heliport controllers aren't so bright and ask us for state, souls, and time enroute. There's other heliport-isms as well...

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot

Don't forget the "AND" Syndrome.. aaaaannnnnd tower, 8ball zero one ready for takeoff. Aaannnd 8ball zero one cleared for takeoff, etc... I started to get it very early when I was told to STFU by a primary sim instructor. If he would have told everyone else to STFU, the syndrome wouldn't be so common.