• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
So, Kris, (what are they naming kids these days?) here is what I would do in your shoes:
1: Find the Officer recruiter, and MAKE time to see him. Take whichever of your parents was the AD service member with you to filter the bullshit.
2: Decide if you really want to join the Navy/Marine Corps.
3: If the answer to #2 is "yes" then find your route
-Route 1- Enlisted (aka the fucking hard way) you can enlist, before or after your degree is complete, and apply for a number of entry points to a commission...I'd try route two through four before route one, because route one is a pain in the ass.
-Route 2- The USNA- You are still young enough to get in, but judging by your questioning of GPA and grasp of the English language, this may be a hard road for you.
-Route 3- ROTC- This may be your best option. Find a ROTC unit, apply, join, get college paid for, get a commission, enjoy college
-Route 4- OCS- Pay for and finish your degree in basket-weaving. Make sure you take the right electives to qualify for OCS (the USN has a great website for info) avoid getting arrested, doing drugs, ruining your credit...use said degree in basket-weaving to apply to OCS...go to RI for thirteen weeks...get a commission
4: take the ASTB and OAR. Will determine if Navy will let you fly.
5: Lots of paperwork-start your route
6: get Commissioned
7: API, Primary, NSS above 50, T-45's, Jets, G's, Hot Bitches, Retire
Pickle

I have made sure to BOLD what is important. Everything else is fluff.

kris142

My gpa was not bad. I had a hiccup sophomore year that threw me off but for the most part I had 3.5 all through high school, took Chem and phys scored advanced on both and I also took anatomy got As on my finals so couldn't be that bad. Last semester in college I got 3 As and a B, and I almost tested out if English. You will probably hate me for this but I actually had a slot in the naval academy but I wasn't mature enough for that kind of commitment and I wasn't even sure I wanted to be in the navy. Now I'm completely sold on it and I know I'm going to do everything in my power to make my dreams come true. Once again thanks for all the tips everyone!
Kris

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My gpa was not bad. --"Words"--got 3 As and a B, and I almost tested out if English. You will probably hate me for this but I actually had a slot in the naval academy but I wasn't mature enough for that kind of commitment and I wasn't even sure I wanted to be in the navy. Now I'm completely sold on it and I know I'm going to do everything in my power to make my dreams come true. Once again thanks for all the tips everyone!
Kris
I'm confused,
How did you go through all the effort to apply to the USNA, get a recommendation from someone who would carry weight with the selection board (Senator?), and get a very competitive slot, only to refuse it, and then the process is now suddenly a mystery to you? And to top that off you wrote that you "Drove 50 miles to MCAS "Mira Mar" just to watch planes bounce, but the trip to see the OR is hard to find time for." WTF?!
I call shenanigans...
Pickle

kris142

Well I think I was accepted I'm not sure. Idk how the process works but sometime half way through senior year my mother and I sat down for a few days and applied to a bunch of colleges. I'm not sure if she did anything to naval academy but a few months later I had received a letter via mail telling me I was accepted to the academy and from here on out to start preparing physically. I may be wrong but idk why I would get a letter from the academy telling me to run several miles and swim several times a week if I hadn't been accepted. My mom WAS pretty avid with me going to acad. but I personally don't believe I ever sent anything in. I also went to meetings and got all of these letters stating that they wanted me and to immediately begin the process if I wanted to be a part of the alumni, but I'm not interested in the army route. Honestly i don't know how any of it happened and I may be wrong but I'm not wasting my time posting this to bullshit anybody. It all could have been due to my fathers naval history. He served ~25 years retired 3rd in command on the USS Ogden as chief of engineering. For all I know they were interested due to his background. If I still had the letter I would read it again but I have no idea where it went. I'm sorry in no way am I here bull shitting. Maybe I'm wrong. Ill look for my letter.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Well I think I was accepted I'm not sure. Idk how the process works but sometime half way through senior year my mother and I sat down for a few days and applied to a bunch of colleges. I'm not sure if she did anything to naval academy but a few months later I had received a letter via mail telling me I was accepted to the academy and from here on out to start preparing physically. I may be wrong but idk why I would get a letter from the academy telling me to run several miles and swim several times a week if I hadn't been accepted. My mom WAS pretty avid with me going to acad. but I personally don't believe I ever sent anything in. I also went to meetings and got all of these letters stating that they wanted me and to immediately begin the process if I wanted to be a part of the alumni, but I'm not interested in the army route. Honestly i don't know how any of it happened and I may be wrong but I'm not wasting my time posting this to bullshit anybody. It all could have been due to my fathers naval history. He served ~25 years retired 3rd in command on the USS Ogden as chief of engineering. For all I know they were interested due to his background. If I still had the letter I would read it again but I have no idea where it went. I'm sorry in no way am I here bull shitting. Maybe I'm wrong. Ill look for my letter.

bullshit-meter-2.jpg

kris142

I'm sorry I shall hold my questions to myself. I will continue to read because I am obviously not completely educated on these topics,99.9999% of this stuff is still very new to me. In no way did I mean to waste anyones time, I just haven't had enough of my own time invested in research. I will continue to read on, I've scheduled a meeting with my local Officer recruiter upon the completion of finals week so I guess I'll get all my info from there.

And that post never edited I guess. It was supposed to say west point when I was talking about the Army, and I did more reading. The letter I got was a response to my preliminary application, which afterwards I was to seek a nomination via senator, congress, or VP. Anyway, thanks for the tips you have given me, sorry for wasting your time.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I'm sorry I shall hold my questions to myself. I will continue to read because I am obviously not completely educated on these topics,99.9999% of this stuff is still very new to me. In no way did I mean to waste anyones time, I just haven't had enough of my own time invested in research. I will continue to read on, I've scheduled a meeting with my local Officer recruiter upon the completion of finals week so I guess I'll get all my info from there.

And that post never edited I guess. It was supposed to say west point when I was talking about the Army, and I did more reading. The letter I got was a response to my preliminary application, which afterwards I was to seek a nomination via senator, congress, or VP. Anyway, thanks for the tips you have given me, sorry for wasting your time.
Makes way more sense...once you get done with your meeting, and do some research/make a decision,come back for more info...we are always here to help/throw spears...
Pickle

jmcquate

Contributor
What's the purpose of that Darth Vader looking thing below the visor on the flight helmet that I've some helo crew wearing?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Popular with AWs and dudes who fly with doors off. Lets you be understood with winds moving around and you being exposed to the elements (head sticking out of cabin or landing in an LZ). People who I've asked are 50/50 on them.

jtmedli

pilot
Popular with AWs and dudes who fly with doors off. Lets you be understood with winds moving around and you being exposed to the elements (head sticking out of cabin or landing in an LZ). People who I've asked are 50/50 on them.

...and Darth Vader. :D