• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
In an HS squadron do some pilos fly only H and some only F, or do you fly both? All HS guys regardless of platform will go sierras either way right?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In an HS squadron do some pilos fly only H and some only F, or do you fly both? All HS guys regardless of platform will go sierras either way right?

Info from my HS/HSM officemate: All HS guys fly both the Foxtrots & Hotels. If an HS guy goes HSC, then he would fly the Sierras. Some HS guys may go HSM and fly Romeos.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Pags

N/A
pilot
HS squadrons will all become HSC squadrons and transition to the MH-60S. I think the transition is roughly half complete if not a bit more.

A few HS guys have left HS and transitioned to HSM to bring their dipping experience to HSM, but that's more of an exception thana rule.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
Not going to start a new thread, so I figured this best belonged here.

Found this while browsing the App store (iOS) and figured I would give it a try ($2.99). Its pretty fun, seems realistic (for an ipod game).

Just wondering if anybody here has seen and or played it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A few HS guys have left HS and transitioned to HSM to bring their dipping experience to HSM, but that's more of an exception thana rule.

Apparently the exception is partly due to PERS. They're not letting the HS guys stay HSM, even if they've been flying the Romeo lately. Probably has something to do with the HSC bonus and HSM bonus (or lack there of).

Coota0

None
How long are rotary wing classes on your side of the house? (i.e. AH-1, UH-1, CH-46, V-22, CH-53 and SH-60)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
How long are rotary wing classes on your side of the house? (i.e. AH-1, UH-1, CH-46, V-22, CH-53 and SH-60)

The -60R CAT 1 syllabus is about 10 months. A HSC guy can chime in to correct me, but I think the -60S syllabus is around 5 months-ish (?).

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
6ish is what they're quoting for 60S these days, at least for CAT Is. Friends in the -R say its more like 12.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
6ish is what they're quoting for 60S these days, at least for CAT Is. Friends in the -R say its more like 12.

That seems to be a myth perpetrated in the HTs. It's not that long, at least on the left coast. Maybe it just seems that way.

phrogpilot73

There is no more CH-46 training syllabus for new pilots. Transition/conversion/refresh, yes. New guys? No.

With that being said, It was ~4 months for new pilots, all others was ~1.5-2 months.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Finishing the HSM Jax RAG on 15 July. Checked in at the end of last September. Keep in mind we had leave over Christmas/New Year's, and we only had one operating sim for the first few months. Now they've got us at the Mayport sim, and driving to NAS Jax to use their sim as well. So all in all, took me 10 months, but I foresee that number getting at least a little lower in the near future.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
You're most likely not going to get a week off at all through API, Primary, or Advanced unless it's a holiday like Christmas where everybody gets a week off. Once API starts the schedule is very structured and rapid. The general rule in the flying squadrons is you need to get one training X completed each work day. They will work with you on a case by case basis, but don't expect anything more than a long weekend, especially for a "vacation".

YMMV in your fleet squadron depending on where you are in your training cycle, but it is possible to get a week off if the right conditions exist.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Ymmv, but 4 years ago, you could only do it in flight school for a wedding, Christmas break, or maybe a funeral. In between Primar/Api, or Pri/Adv, or Adv/FRS was fair game, though.

Fleet squadron on homecycle? Depends on when in the cycle and how vindictive your front office is. I've been told multiple times I can't take a 4 day weekend because "we may need you to fly that weekend." Generally though, you can work something out.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

4-6 Months for skid dudes. Some guys sit for a period of time waiting for HLL and other things during the syllabus. Whiskeys typically faster than Yankee guys, and Zulus somewhere in between.