• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
More of a personal question, how do you guys prepare mentally for a flight? Is it anything like listening to your affirmations? (kidding)

These days my pre-flights go like this:
1. Remind wife where my Last Will & Testament is located.
2. Stuff lucky charm in boot leg.
3. Look longingly at pictures of my sons when they were young...and good boys.
4. Tell my 18 year old to get out of bed before 2pm and "do something."
5. Drive to airfield.
6. Liberally apply Holy Water to the prop.
7. Push airframe a bit to hear if there is a swishing sound in the fuel tank.
8. Take off...enjoy the flight.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
I'm curious from reading the election thread; how often do people talk about politics in the ready room and similar environments? Is it a taboo subject, and about how often does it come up?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'm curious from reading the election thread; how often do people talk about politics in the ready room and similar environments? Is it a taboo subject, and about how often does it come up?
In my day, never. Today, who knows?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It depends on each individual wardroom but for the units I have been in politics comes up relatively often in election season but is almost always civil and respectful, even when folks disagree pretty vehemently. I have seen a few guys who have crossed the line into open and inappropriate partisanship but that is much less common and is often quieted quickly.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Not really. In general terms and how it impacts the military, sure. Specific partisanship not so much.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

My time in the Navy has spanned the Clinton, G.W.B., and Obama years. Generally speaking I remember a lot more over grumbling about Clinton than about either of his successors; but then, the grumbling was mostly about the defense cuts his admin made. Me and the rest of the young'uns wondering if there'd still be a Navy by the time we were up for O-3.

There's usually one or two Blue guys, one or two dudes who always seem to be on Infowars, the rest are somewhere in the middle. I won't say politics, sex, and religion are taboo, as I hear they used to be, and the vast majority of discussions I've been in and among have been intelligent and civil even when disagreements are strong. Usually the XO or some other adult supervision will tamp things down ("Take it somewhere else, gents") if they get overly animated.