• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Even more specific, what do you pack to eat? Can I just pack Mcdonald's and be like "Okay we tracked that Akula Class, time for a Oreo McFlurry!
@picklesuit ? @webmaster ?

I've always been limited to sandwiches or whatever else fit in a helmet bag. Though I did once cook an MRE in the cockpit... BTW, some of those give off some kind of gas when you "cook" them; be prepared to dump cabin pressure - just saying...

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
@picklesuit ? @webmaster ?

I've always been limited to sandwiches or whatever else fit in a helmet bag. Though I did once cook an MRE in the cockpit... BTW, some of those give off some kind of gas when you "cook" them; be prepared to dump cabin pressure - just saying...

I feel like a child but is that a reference to your gas? Also how did you cook an MRE in the cockpit without making a mess? Reminds me of this video

What's your favorite sandwich to bring? :D

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even more specific, what do you pack to eat? Can I just pack Mcdonald's and be like "Okay we tracked that Akula Class, time for a Oreo McFlurry!

You could. I've brought fast food, leftovers in glass containers that can go in the oven, cans of soup, etc, for myself. Depending on how your squadron/crew operates you might bring extra appliances (griddle, crock pot) and people pool their money and someone cooks a hot meal on a transit. I've eaten pretty well on some flights. The P-8 oven is pretty good for making cookies/cinnamon rolls as well.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also how did you cook an MRE in the cockpit without making a mess?
rock-or-something-840x420.png

Probably also the source of said gas. That said, if you and your crew could come up with a mutually acceptable MRE heater gas management plan, that's an effing brilliant idea. Put the entree in the heater, add some water from the CamelBak on your survival vest, and Bob's yer uncle. Beats sneaking snacks out of the wardroom like I did.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I'd literally rather not eat on a long sortie than eat an MRE. Even the infantry officers I worked with didn't eat many MRE's in the field.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
On long days of pax / mail / cargo or Plane Guard interspersed with pax / mail / cargo to the small boys, our squadron made a pretty good habit of getting food from all the small boys... Sometimes it was great like dry-rub ribs or chicken nuggets that were actually good, and sometimes you'd get a plate of peas, or a plate of spaghetti and sauce.

Yes, all those meals are ones I've gotten.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Question: What if your communication systems fail while flying a pattern onto the aircraft carrier, is there light gun signals?

For helos, there are lights and signals to use between the tower and the helicopter to communicate how urgent you need to land or not. This is also why it's mega important to teach our nuggets to count how many jets they expect to recover, because a) in case 1, if you're not paying attention then you don't know when you yourself should land or b) in the case of down comms, but still SAR capable.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I flew nothing but PMC for 11mo; aussies and the sings had the best box lunches. Brits were weird. USN was the worst. Some ships were better than others but I've had plenty of plates of peas and a few bread sandwiches.