• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess what I'm really asking is: compared to your SWO counterparts, how much more sleep do you get on average?
Getting enough sleep isn't a problem in aviation. There are also rules that dictate how long your crew day can be and how much rest you must be afforded prior to flying, etc.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
Getting enough sleep isn't a problem in aviation. There are also rules that dictate how long your crew day can be and how much rest you must be afforded prior to flying, etc.
Thanks, that's good to hear.

So I'm a little confused about the difference between crew day and crew rest. Let me know where I'm wrong:
Crew rest is a 12 hour period where you aren't allowed to fly or do squadron related stuff (briefing, debrief, etc). It occurs right after you leave the squadron for the day. It's only usually broken when necessary (i.e. not for normal training).

Crew day is the part of the day where you are either flying or doing that squadron-related stuff?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks, that's good to hear.

So I'm a little confused about the difference between crew day and crew rest. Let me know where I'm wrong:
Crew rest is a 12 hour period where you aren't allowed to fly or do squadron related stuff (briefing, debrief, etc). It occurs right after you leave the squadron for the day. It's only usually broken when necessary (i.e. not for normal training).

Crew day is the part of the day where you are either flying or doing that squadron-related stuff?

To keep it really basic, Crew Day is whatever the local policy has been set to, not to exceed 18 hours. If you go over 18 hours, there's even more caveats about Crew Rest. Crew Rest is whatever the local policy has been set to, but kept to at least a minimum of 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

Yes, my answer sounds like a lawyer's answer, but it matters, depending on where you are and what you're doing. Deployment standards are different than homeguard standards which are different from training command standards.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Crew rest is defined as the non-duty time before a flight duty period begins. It includes free time for meals, transportation and rest and must include an opportunity for 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every 24 hour period. Crew day is defined as flights or work duties. As Gatordev said above, if you go over 18 hours of crew day (for flight/alert duty) , crew rest increases to 15 hours of continuous off-duty time. Most squadrons have a 10 or 12 hour crew rest rule in their SOP as well, to help honor the 8 hours' sleep rule. I've only been scheduled over 18 hours a few times (probably less than 10 in my career), usually due to double-pump flights followed by mission planning during workups, or super-long watchstanding on the Boat during workups or cruise.

BigRed389

None
Not an aviation question, but I assume non qual'd SWO JOs tend to sleep less than those that already got the pin?

Generally, yes.

But it's more a matter of having more stuff on your plate (more to study/learn) at that point.
And still working up the learning curve to be more efficient about getting your work done.

But not a hard and fast rule. Some commands try to light load non quals so they can focus on quals. Others do the reverse. It really depends on a lot of factors.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Question: What if your communication systems fail while flying a pattern onto the aircraft carrier, is there light gun signals?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Question: What if your communication systems fail while flying a pattern onto the aircraft carrier, is there light gun signals?

Oh man...at that point you just log off and go play Mine Craft or Madden Football.

But really, there are a lot of backup systems that would have to fail to get to that situation.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Oh man...at that point you just log off and go play Mine Craft or Madden Football.

But really, there are a lot of backup systems that would have to fail to get to that situation.

What's the timeout button? (I love Madden Football on Xbox)...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Everything during the day is zip lip. No comm required.

At night, you squawk 7600 and hope your lead gets you to a good start.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
^^For 3 cruises I slept under the #3 wire, after a while you get use to the rhythmic pattern. Now I can sleep through a 7.0+ earth quake and not wake till I'm ready.