• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I liked that VICE article. Seemed accurate enough, and had great pictures.

It's not written for anyone on this board.

Pags

N/A
pilot

I found nothing surprising about the article. Seemed to be a decent capture of the life of the average young Sailor.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
not the content per se, but the quality. it reads like something out of a high school newspaper. "the boat" went through quite a bit of work to get these "journalists" out there, and that's what they come up with?

Well, it is Vice. I would hope the PAO knew what kind of publication it was so the result shouldn't be too big of a surprise.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Well, it is Vice. I would hope the PAO knew what kind of publication it was so the result shouldn't be too big of a surprise.
Vice does some really good stuff. I thought that piece was pretty good for what it was minus the spelling errors and typos.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

It's not written for anyone with a comprehension of the English language. Three days on Das Boot and that's the best you can come up with? I don't care if you call us all a bunch of incipient proto-fascists; I'd at least give you credit for exceeding that writer's vocabulary by about 7 grade levels. "F/18s?" I could dash off better copy in less than an hour, 2 days late, and massively hung over.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Vice does some really good stuff. I thought that piece was pretty good for what it was minus the spelling errors and typos.

They do but that article isn't exactly high quality, I am not even sure that article went through any editing process whatsoever.

squorch2

pilot
This is gonna come as a shock, but Vice's core demographic doesn't give a shit if they got the designator of an aircraft right, or if they misspelled something.

They want to know about life, and sex, and going out and what doing shit on an aircraft carrier is like.

The article conveyed that quite well.

ETA: their core demographic is the prime recruiting demographic too.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is gonna come as a shock, but Vice's core demographic doesn't give a shit if they got the designator of an aircraft right, or if they misspelled something.

ETA: their core demographic is the prime recruiting demographic too.
And isn't that sad? This is where we are as an educated society. I sure am glad I interviewed a fine young lady for the Naval Academy today, or I'd be even more bummed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And isn't that sad? This is where we are as an educated society. I sure am glad I interviewed a fine young lady for the Naval Academy today, or I'd be even more bummed.

You wouldn't be talking about the folks that make up our current military, which happens to be the best educated in our nation's history? Good thing too since 'rum, sodomy and the lash' don't have quite the pull they used to.

squorch2

pilot

No, this is where we are as the armed forces trying to recruit.

We serve the nation, not the other way around.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You wouldn't be talking about the folks that make up our current military, which happens to be the best educated in our nation's history? Good thing too since 'rum, sodomy and the lash' don't have quite the pull they used to.
NO, I am not!!! I volunteer a lot of hours helping source and motivate young people who desire to be in the best educated military in the world, and most are turned down. And earlier in my career I spent years at it. What is sad, is that it is assumed that the Vice demographic, who I am told here don't care about grammar or technical accuracy, are the very people we want to recruit. I know you Flash. You have never tolerated technical inaccuracies and corrected many a poster for grammar, structure, etc. Not long ago, you took a swipe at me, deservedly, for not breaking up into paragraphs. Don't tell me you would happily enlist someone who can not compose a sentence or did not possess high standards for written communication. I was once in that position, and I never did. What has changed that we have to now?

squorch2

pilot
(real quick point of order - the demo we recruit for enlisted and that we recruit for officers are quite different.)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, this is where we are as the armed forces trying to recruit.

We serve the nation, not the other way around.
True. How are we serving the nation if we recruit people like that? I was a recruiter. WORK FUCKING HARDER! Oh, and maybe do a better job or educating our youth and setting high standards. But that isn't the Navy's job. Well unless you are going to recruit people who can read or write worth a damn. Then you make it their job and you just divert limited resources from operational training and readiness.