• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

jackjack

The Aussies are going to use the G-550, fitted out by L3 for some stuff. If the P-8 was going SIGINT like the EP-3. I would have thought, we would have followed.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SIGINT? Nope.
Well it wont be a direct one-for-one replacement. P-8 + Triton = ~EP-3. At least from my understanding, it'll be like the F/A-18 replacing the A-6E....good enough for government work.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Triton, yes (perhaps?). P-8 EW capes are nowhere near what would be required to consider that a credible replacement. Anecdotally, VP doesn't even train to adequately employ the EW capes they currently have and there's very little community expertise to facilitate that.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Admittedly knowing nothing about the EP-3, I wouldn't be surprised if Congress found its deprecation unacceptable long term. The Air Force got the Global Express E-11 BACN on quick notice.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Triton, yes (perhaps?). P-8 EW capes are nowhere near what would be required to consider that a credible replacement. Anecdotally, VP doesn't even train to adequately employ the EW capes they currently have and there's very little community expertise to facilitate that.

I'd be curious to see if the resident P-8 bubbas still think EW training is an issue. It certainly was when I was where you're at (based on my conversations with the MPRWS folks), but it was an acknowledged deficiency that they were working to correct. Based on flying with several crews in the FRTC, the biggest issue I saw was a willingness to take everything at face value and a lack of understanding of system limitations.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that even the Triton P-8 combination can truly replace the EP-3. Regardless of the system specifics, you still end up trading a ton of community ESM expertise for an automated ESM suite.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's going to be more of a tactical capability than national collection.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I'll be curious to see where Triton is at when I get back to the fleet, because there were so many unknowns when I was last briefed on it. I get the tactical capability piece versus national, my point was more towards the loss of the SIGINT knowledge base inherent to the VQ community.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well it wont be a direct one-for-one replacement. P-8 + Triton = ~EP-3. At least from my understanding, it'll be like the F/A-18 replacing the A-6E....good enough for government work.

Nope, not even close, even for government work.

Based on flying with several crews in the FRTC, the biggest issue I saw was a willingness to take everything at face value and a lack of understanding of system limitations.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that even the Triton P-8 combination can truly replace the EP-3. Regardless of the system specifics, you still end up trading a ton of community ESM expertise for an automated ESM suite.

The EW experience will likely quickly whither away after the EP-3 goes away and the experienced VQ folks disperse and move on, the O's and E's. I think training, mainly taking at face value what the box tells you without a background in whether or not it makes sense, will be the biggest issue with the Triton and its crews. If you have experienced crews along with knowledgable and dedicated support folks to maintain the magic boxes and make them work, like the ES-3 guys, they could work well. I just don't see that happening in the real world with the Triton, no matter the sales pitch.

It can be both if they want to do both.

Admittedly knowing nothing about the EP-3, I wouldn't be surprised if Congress found its deprecation unacceptable long term. The Air Force got the Global Express E-11 BACN on quick notice.

I think it is too low a hanging fruit for Congress to care enough, they've got bigger alligators closer to the boat. The E-11 is a bit of a different animal, fulfilling a unique need that needed to be filled rapidly.

I think it is just the latest in a long line of poor decisions made by folks when it comes to airborne EW in the US military. The EP-3 was always a bit of a stepchild in the Navy but long had a big patron outside the Navy always helping out, but a lot of that support has withered to a degree over the past few years much to the chagrin of some folks who still have some fucks left to give. So even though it is still hanging on I doubt the current reprieve will last more than a few years.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have no idea what capes Triton will bring to that end. I suspect NTM and RJ will pick up a lot of the slack.

Not really if there is nothing to replace the EP-3. It is all about 'acceptable risk', similar to the U-2 are we willing to accept a diminished capacity if we retire a certain asset. With the U-2 the answer was very nearly yes, but in addition to its capability it has considerable political pull and even a good amount of cachet going for it so the answer has become no, for now. For the ES-3 the answer was a flat no and the capability went away without anything to replace it. Now it is the same with the EP-3, the Navy doesn't want to spend the money to replace it so it'll almost certainly go away without a good replacement. Just don't expect something else to take up the slack.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not really if there is nothing to replace the EP-3. It is all about 'acceptable risk', similar to the U-2 are we willing to accept a diminished capacity if we retire a certain asset. With the U-2 the answer was very nearly yes, but in addition to its capability it has considerable political pull and even a good amount of cachet going for it so the answer has become no, for now. For the ES-3 the answer was a flat no and the capability went away without anything to replace it. Now it is the same with the EP-3, the Navy doesn't want to spend the money to replace it so it'll almost certainly go away without a good replacement. Just don't expect something else to take up the slack.
Yep, it may take years before someone recognizes the true inpact of getting rid of this Special Mission aircraft without replacement.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
So many different directions you could take that question.
But you being the PC senior officer you are, you would never put your career in jeopardy making one. I mean, why waste the pucker ability and gag reflex you spent years developing saying something funny or even.... gasp....slightly inappropriate in public?