• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid mistake - Will it deeply affect my chance of getting into the Navy?

ELM0927

Hi!

I am a college student and two years ago I made the dumbest mistake I could have ever done. I got charged for petty theft. I did get a diversion and never did anything like that ever since.

Now I am completing my NASIS and see that it is asking if I had ever been fired from a job before, and if so, why. Should I still say not write this incident down even though I got a diversion?

The only thing I am SUPER scared for is that I won't be accepted into the Navy because of this dumb mistake I did. Do you think this will seriously affect my chances? I want to be a SWO or Intelligence officer, but I am just so freaking scared that this incident will completely blow up my chances at me wanting to do anything in the Navy.

Can anyone please help me!!! :(

exNavyOffRec

you will have to disclose, a diversion will be treated like a conviction, and it will pop on a background check.

I am guessing the theft was from an employer?

exNavyOffRec

@NavyOffRec Yes it was. Do you think this will be a big problem?

It is an integrity issue, you will need to write a statement, you would probably have a better shot with SWO or aviation, others with very low selection rates look for things to ditch people and stealing from an employer is a red flag.

ELM0927

@n
It is an integrity issue, you will need to write a statement, you would probably have a better shot with SWO or aviation, others with very low selection rates look for things to ditch people and stealing from an employer is a red flag.
Should I tell my recruiter about this so that way he knows I am upfront and honest about it? Because right now he knows nothing. Or do you not think that this will matter?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
@n

Should I tell my recruiter about this so that way he knows I am upfront and honest about it? Because right now he knows nothing. Or do you not think that this will matter?

Holy shit. Yes, yes you need to tell him. You're not helping your cause showing that you're officer material hiding information from him.

ELM0927

@RUFiO181 Ahh! You are scaring me! Ok, I am meeting with him Tuesday so I will be sure to tell him then. I honestly just did not know if I should bring it up or not being that I got a diversion for it. But thank you so much for the help and the advice everyone!! I'm so glad I could talk to you guys about this because I had no clue what to do.

exNavyOffRec

@RUFiO181 Ahh! You are scaring me! Ok, I am meeting with him Tuesday so I will be sure to tell him then. I honestly just did not know if I should bring it up or not being that I got a diversion for it. But thank you so much for the help and the advice everyone!! I'm so glad I could talk to you guys about this because I had no clue what to do.

just remember that a diversion only prevents civilian employers from seeing it, any federal job that requires a clearance will have it pop up, it is there forever.

MGoBrew11

pilot
And yes, I think a history of stealing from an employer would definitely matter as an Intel O...

A7Dave

pilot
Sorry Buddy. Some screw ups hurt more than others. In this day and age of the internet you need to be honest. Honesty may sink you, but dishonesty WILL sink you. Nonetheless, only answer questions asked of you and don't fill in blanks that aren't there. But if you are asked a question, answer it.

Oh, and you are talking about it here. You've just flagged yourself. It will come up again if you try to hide it. If the rest of your record is clean, you may survive. Don't screw up again.

KORhc

A man of character would not resort to posting on a public forum on what or what he shouldn't do in terms of integrity. Also, in terms of the theft, are you sorry that you got caught in the action, or are you sorry that you f*cked up and will accept accountability. You will have to make that clear with your OR.

ELM0927

@KORhc Am I sorry?? Oh my god... I am so freaking disgusted at what I did! I can honestly tell you that I don know who that person was 2 years ago. I have seriously been so freaking scared that I might not be accepted into the Navy because of this. I don't know what I will do with my life if I don't get accepted. I have no plan B. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life. I want to serve my country!