• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Strategies for Stashing

Hammer10k

pilot
Hi all,

Thanks for reading. I'm slated to start OCS on March 27 for SNA. I am also a 3L in law school with a semester remaining before graduation.

After OCS's target graduation date in June, the plan is to return to Atlanta (my hometown) and stash at the NRD office while I complete my last law semester in the fall. The recruiting office can't provide a written guarantee and have only advised that around two weeks before OCS graduation I will need to make a request.

I'm hoping someone can offer advice on how to approach this request and strategies for success. Also, in the event that I lose out on SNA or NFO for any reason (such as that I will turn 27 in July), is stashing possible for other designations outside of waiting for a flight school spot?

Thanks!

Sonog

pilot
Holy shit, going to OCS with a (almost) law degree... stand by for legal o when you get to the fleet.

Larick

None
Contributor
It's scary true. CJ degree and I'm basically the ALegalO. It sucks!

Sonog

pilot
Is it an actual requirement to go to NJS to be a legal o? I can picture this dude getting to his first squadron and the current junior JO legal o getting fired when they find out Hammer10k has a law degree

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Have your graduation plan endorsed by the law school Dean on letterhead, have a cover letter too from your law advisor, present it to your chain, stating no-shit you will be done after finals in early December and ready to train in January.
Be humble, state you understand the needs of the Navy come first, but being so close to your J.D., how it will make you a better officer, better for the Navy, etc.
Also, mention the ramifications of not completing your J.D. and missing your Bar window. But don't whine.

Any community should/will recognize the value in letting you complete your J.D. so close to fruition.
However, you must be very proactive and come with a definitive plan for success. The more detailed and supported by school staff, the better.

good luck.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it an actual requirement to go to NJS to be a legal o? I can picture this dude getting to his first squadron and the current junior JO legal o getting fired when they find out Hammer10k has a law degree
Highly recommended, but not an absolute pre-requisite.
Side story: I attended NJS in March of 99 in San Diego at 32nd Street. The instructors were so adamant that students were forbidden from cheating on homework that during the previous class they booted a P-3 NFO for "cheating." End result, the dude was still the legal O and he got the callsign Cheater from the incident.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Highly recommended, but not an absolute pre-requisite.
Side story: I attended NJS in March of 99 in San Diego at 32nd Street. The instructors were so adamant that students were forbidden from cheating on homework that during the previous class they booted a P-3 NFO for "cheating." End result, the dude was still the legal O and he got the callsign Cheater from the incident.
One of my first DH's was pretty much the exact same story right down to the call sign when he was a JO.

Hammer10k

pilot
Thanks for the help ya'll!

My hand-shake arrangement with my recruiting office is that I will head to OCS in two weeks and return in June to complete my last law semester. Everything seems lined up for me to make the request while at OCS. Other than that, I haven't been given much guidance about how the process works.

Here's the official language: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...an/1000/1300Assignment/Documents/1301-201.pdf

It seems like anything more than a 120-day stash will require a "duty permanent change of station." I'll need at least 180 days to complete my fall semester.

Any thoughts on how this will affect my request?

Thank you!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It seems like anything more than a 120-day stash will require a "duty permanent change of station." I'll need at least 180 days to complete my fall semester.

Any thoughts on how this will affect my request?

I don't know about this particular policy, but as a general rule with the Navy: if there's not a specified instruction or mechanism to do something, the path of least resistance is probably what will happen. Sounds like what you're asking for requires paperwork and effort from a lot of people to do something unique. Smart money is, when the Too Hard light comes on, somebody will say, 'tough shit, he should've finished before OCS,' and that'll be that. Being an extra-smart LegalO isn't all that valuable.

Hammer10k

pilot
I don't know about this particular policy, but as a general rule with the Navy: if there's not a specified instruction or mechanism to do something, the path of least resistance is probably what will happen. Sounds like what you're asking for requires paperwork and effort from a lot of people to do something unique. Smart money is, when the Too Hard light comes on, somebody will say, 'tough shit, he should've finished before OCS,' and that'll be that. Being an extra-smart LegalO isn't all that valuable.

This is the unfortunate expectation I have for making the request. My recruiting office says "no problem" but it doesn't seem to be their call. Without trying to sound like a selfish brat, I'll have to walk from OCS if the answer is no. The law degree is 90% done and has cost a lot of time and money. Increasing the odds of making it happen through Dean's letters and an outlined plan seems like all I can do to help my cause.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Spit balling here: go to the JAG office when you're a candy-o (latter stages of OCS) and ask to have a cup of coffee with him/her.

Tell them your situation. They understand the significant investment you have in law school and the severe ramifications of not finishing and missing your Bar window to boot. They may have an idea of who to reach out to, and maybe get a letter from them at least speaking to PERS in their own gibberish on why the Navy should let you finish law school.

A lot of why you are getting non-commitance from the Navy is there are an awful lot of things that can go wrong with your plan right now. I'd wager that once you are in the latter stages of OCS, you will get a sympathetic ear as long as you are diligent and tactful.

Hammer10k

pilot
Spit balling here: go to the JAG office when you're a candy-o (latter stages of OCS) and ask to have a cup of coffee with him/her.

Tell them your situation. They understand the significant investment you have in law school and the severe ramifications of not finishing and missing your Bar window to boot. They may have an idea of who to reach out to, and maybe get a letter from them at least speaking to PERS in their own gibberish on why the Navy should let you finish law school.

A lot of why you are getting non-commitance from the Navy is there are an awful lot of things that can go wrong with your plan right now. I'd wager that once you are in the latter stages of OCS, you will get a sympathetic ear as long as you are diligent and tactful.

Hozer, thanks man. I appreciate the advice. Same with Uncle Fester.

I had my Dean write a LOR about the situation like you suggested. The JAG sit down sounds like a good approach and one I will plan for. My NRD office's JAG attorney sat in the meeting when I outlined my situation with my recruiter, his boss, and some others and she was a big help in support and knowing that the law credits expire within a short window.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hozer's strategy is sound. Getting a more senior advocate before you go swimming upstream is good technique. At the very least, see if they'll make a phone call on your behalf to whomever in order to prep the battlespace. "Hey, I got this kid who's going to call you asking for this and here's why," etc.

Try asking for what you're asking for as a random-ass Candy-O/Ensign out of the blue, and you'll most likely get "get the fuck out of my office, Harm."

Difficulty: finding an advocate who actually knows who to talk to in order to be of any use. My bet would be talk to the AOIC or whatever they're called of the local NLSO there in Newport.