• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Straight to Reserves from Flight School - Status?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
BigIron said:
I think you can go FTS if your community has a reserve side. Both (FTS & Selres) HCS 4 & 5 fly HH-60s and they have a mixed bag of former helo aviators. You can fly 53Es with HM-14 or HM-15. There used to be HC-85 out of San Diego (are they still there?) and HS-75 out of JAX. THe first step would be to put a FTS package in. They do a board and select you for FTS aviation. I don't think you get to chose what platform.

There's also HSL-60 out of Mayport and I think they are starting up another one in Sandog, but I can't remember for sure (HSL-61, I think).

And I know the storm has passed, but I just can't resist...

Aircraft systems I've used on the P-3:
APS-137 (or whatever the ISAR is)
84 Sonobouys
Accoustics processor
UHF Secure SatCom
VHF/UHF radios
FLIR/DTV

All while performing several different kinds of missions. And I don't even fly in the damn things!

I can understand not wanting them though, as they are ALWAYS in the way in the pattern.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober, I jacked up your post. I hit the edit button instead of quote, so I deleted it in its entirety. I swear I haven't been drinking.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Steve Wilkins said:
Goober, I jacked up your post. I hit the edit button instead of quote, so I deleted it in its entirety. I swear I haven't been drinking.
You rat b*stard...now I gotta do it all over again (and try to keep it more or less the same). ;)

Goober

None
virtu050 said:
But I sincerely hope he didn't tell you it was because the p-3 "HAS NO MISSION". The p-3 is one of the most versatile platforms in the Navy and flies many important missions especially these days.
Agreed. Spoken like someone who's not yet part of the community, spouse or otherwise. Guess my campaign medal from VP-land means I didn't do anything. Until you're qualified and read-in, you're just another stud.

Side note: They call someone with 10 hours to go for a PhD "someone with a master's degree." Until you've got it, you ain't got it. I should think it's a lot like naval aviation: until you're qualified, shut your piehole and learn. This goes for spouses too. It's a smaller navy than you think, and people have long memories.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Goober said:
Agreed. Spoken like someone who's not yet part of the community, spouse or otherwise. Guess my campaign medal from VP-land means I didn't do anything. Until you're qualified and read-in, you're just another stud.

Side note: They call someone with 10 hours to go for a PhD "someone with a master's degree." Until you've got it, you ain't got it. I should think it's a lot like naval aviation: until you're qualified, shut your piehole and learn. This goes for spouses too. It's a smaller navy than you think, and people have long memories.
And now what my response was when I messed your post up...

I think this person is an SNA's spouse (most likely a wife because husbands don't refer to their wives as SO) and is unlikely to be hitting the books and learning about naval aviation anytime soon. I didn't know this when I wrote my response (up above somewhere).

Goober

None
Steve Wilkins said:
And now what my response was when I messed your post up...

I think this person is an SNA's spouse (most likely a wife because husbands don't refer to their wives as SO) and is unlikely to be hitting the books and learning about naval aviation anytime soon. I didn't know this when I wrote my response (up above somewhere).

Oh, I'd read the rant(s) and knew she was a spouse/SO, but my point is that I don't show up on neuropsychology boards and spout off about sh*t I know nothing about simply because I've watched Sidney the head-shrinker on M*A*S*H or any other medical show/program in the past or seen a really cool program on the Discovery Channel once or twice. If you're going to offer up mere opinion as fact, you had damned well better have some some legit experience to back it up (read: the VT "pipeline" does not count).

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Wow, I leave for a month or two and everybody goes crazy. Zab PM'd me so here I am to throw in my two cents.

Right now I'm in Tampa (as Gaijin mentioned - how's it going dude) getting my initial sim instruction in the C-130. I've been on one "mission" so far with 54, and that was to bring back an F-5 that the Swiss are selling back to us. Got my first taste of making HF position reports over the Atlantic. Other than that, I've just been doing the maintenance div-o thing until they sent me to Tampa.

It's a terrific squadron; I don't think I could have asked for a better place to be (although the city itself leaves much to be desired!) Most of the other full-time guys are former helo drivers, and we also have several ex-VP pilots. Everybody loves their job, but they all assume I want to fly for the airlines or FedEx when I'm done with my active commitment. <<makes vomiting sound>> That's the last thing I want to do. I'm going to stay active as long as I can, and I don't really care whether that means I stay in the aviation community or even the Navy. I actually enjoy being way off the "beaten path" as far as careers go and I'm having fun considering my options for the future. If I stay here I guess I'll try for an additional 3-yr FTS tour, which will give me more time to make TAC and possibly instructor.

I can't say when I'll be a 2P, as it will depend on the availability of training flights. With just a few aircraft and a lot of NALO missions, trainers can be hard to come by. It looks like once I'm qualified I can fly as much as I want, especially since I'm willing to go on the holiday dets and whatnot.

Anyway, I'll try to check back more frequently in case anyone has additional questions.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
McNamara said:
I'm going to stay active as long as I can, and I don't really care whether that means I stay in the aviation community or even the Navy. I actually enjoy being way off the "beaten path" as far as careers go and I'm having fun considering my options for the future.
Well, you could lateral over to SWO. Would makes for an interesting off the beaten path carrer....for an aviator anyway.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Well, you could lateral over to SWO. Would makes for an interesting off the beaten path carrer....for an aviator anyway.
That would be like taking Imodium everyday for a year just to see what it's like to be constipated for that long....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
That would be like taking Imodium everyday for a year just to see what it's like to be constipated for that long....

anim_lol.gif

Oh my god, that was funny.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HAL Pilot said:
Your observation .... it just doesn't get any better than that .... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...........the airlines ..... (makes vomiting sound).... That's the last thing I want to do......
Ironic ... ??? Funny how it's the "last thing" many people want to do when the "real" (?) airlines AREN'T hiring --- but yet, it's the first thing those same people do when the airlines ARE hiring. :)

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:

I know you were being serious so I will resist the temptation to poke fun...but that Immodium comment was pretty funny. If I redesignated or did an interservice transfer it would be to a community that I actually have an expectation of enjoying. Knowing several former and current SWOs has convinced me that I never, ever want anything to do with that warfare specialty.

Anyway, the C-130 community seems like a good place to be if you like flying, which I do. I'm just going to keep my options open for the future, but these VR guys have already spoiled me rotten. The relative lack of politics and B.S. within the squadron is quite refreshing.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
A4sForever said:
Ironic ... ??? Funny how it's the "last thing" many people want to do when the "real" (?) airlines AREN'T hiring --- but yet, it's the first thing those same people do when the airlines ARE hiring. :)

Just so we're clear, I don't think I've ever seriously considered an airline career, and I doubt I would even if we were back in the "good ol' days." No disrespect towards you intended, but it doesn't sound like my cup 'o tea.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
McNamara said:
Just so we're clear, I don't think I've ever seriously considered an airline career, and I doubt I would even if we were back in the "good ol' days." No disrespect towards you intended, but it doesn't sound like my cup 'o tea.
Absolutely none taken, either .... it's NOT for everyone. Hell, it's not for me --- I just do it. Just a general comment based on Navy squadrons, Navy pilots, the airlines, hiring, and 38 years experience seeing what really happens with Naval Aviators when the airline seats appear ..... :)