• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Straight to Reserves from Flight School - Status?

26Retro

Recovering COD pilot
BigIron said:
I don't think there is much shore duty for FTS types.............anyone?

As a VR type, I can't necessarily vouch for every FTS community, but FTS aviation careers don't follow the typical sea/shore rotation.

It is completely possible to roll from squadron tour to squadron tour up until about the senior O-4/O-5 level. At the same time, there are definite possibilities of picking up non-flying billets such as Naval Air Reserve Center duty, Wing staff, TYCOM staff, etc.

Honestly, a normal VR or VT FTS career is essentially full-time shore duty. I have plenty of friends in other FTS communities (VP, VAW) that spend a whole lot more time away from home or on det than I do. You work plenty and stay busy, but I wouldn't dare call my current tour "sea duty" by any means.

crimson

you are an idiot

Considering some people- get Primary grades that deserve jet selection and they "GET" P-3's, (a.k.a We HAVE NO MISSION- Community),they chose to do something different with their time. You are a stupid child to think they don't deserve the same wings. Their committment is still the same 8 year. Oh! wait, you were probably one of those college OCS guys who did not lose their college years to the Academy. So, wait he put in 12 years. Shut the hell up about stuff you don't know about! Additionally, the (edit, it's VR) community in (edited) rocks and they fly an amazing amount of hours! :icon_rage

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nashmodeler said:
Considering some people- get Primary grades that deserve jet selection and they "GET" P-3's, (a.k.a We HAVE NO MISSION- Community),they chose to do something different with their time. You are a stupid child to think they don't deserve the same wings. Their committment is still the same 8 year. Oh! wait, you were probably one of those college OCS guys who did not lose their college years to the Academy. So, wait he put in 12 years. Shut the hell up about stuff you don't know about! Additionally, the C-130 community in NOLA rocks and they fly an amazing amount of hours! :icon_rage
Easy there little lady. There's alot that I find misinformed about your post (P-3s, academy, etc), but I won't go there right now. I think you'll get better results around here with a more "cordial" tone. Try it, you'll like it. :D

Brett

crimson

deserving...

Deserving is an interesting topic-
I realized there is a very interesting concept about "deserving" that goes in any humanitarian aid group, military company, non-profit organization. Should someone think they "deserve" something? Well, yes! That is just common sense. Things should not be so complicated. If you deserve something out of merit, you should get it...unfortunately that is not the real world. People are told there are "P-3 grades" "Helo Grades" etc. But that is not real either. However, I chose to use the word "deserve" in its original, call it Socratic meaning. If you chose to interpret it differently, by all means- you "deserve" to.

Now I am 10 hours away from my PhD in Neuropsych, sorry I had not updated my profile in awhile- thanks for looking though

Cheers!

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
<Moderator_Hat>

Let's get this thread back on topic, and take the bickering elsewhere. UINavy admittedly made an error vocalizing a misconception he had which actually added value to the discussion. nashmodeler, I don't really see what you're adding other than getting overly defensive about your husband's decision.

</Moderator_Hat>

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nashmodeler said:
...Oh! wait, you were probably one of those college OCS guys who did not lose their college years to the Academy.

Right. One of those guys who didn't CHOOSE to get a FREE top notch, 4 year degree...cry me a river.

nashmodeler said:
...and they "GET" P-3's, (a.k.a We HAVE NO MISSION- Community)

nashmodeler said:
...Shut the hell up about stuff you don't know about!

Right. Who are you again? Guess I didn't do anything for the last 5 years...

For the record, I was the first one on this thread to clarify and defend the folks who went directly to VR. UI also posted a dignified apology for his mistake. Good on him.

Nash, I've editied you posts to remove any and all info about your husband's location and squadron. The Navy is a much smaller world than you may think, and on the Reserve side, everyone knows everyone. Hopefully very few people have read this thread.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Nash, I've editied you posts to remove any and all info about your husband's location and squadron. The Navy is a much smaller world than you may think, and on the Reserve side, everyone knows everyone. Hopefully very few people have read this thread.
Good call Zab... whether you acknowledge it or not Nash, Zab is covering your husband's "six"...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, trying to get back on track...

I can't remember who it was, but we had a regular poster on here a few months ago who was slated for Maritime and went the C-130 route...anyone recall who it was? I'd be interested to hear first hand how it's going.

edit: I figured out who it is and PM'ed him. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nashmodeler said:
Considering some people- get Primary grades that deserve jet selection and they "GET" P-3's, (a.k.a We HAVE NO MISSION- Community)
This post reeks of igorance of the P-3's capabilities. I for one, sitting at the TAO console in my DDG, would rather have a P-3 under my control any day of the week before taking an S-3 or even :eek: the EA-6B. Note: for reference purposes, those last two platforms are "jets".

Ok, I've said my piece. Now get this thread back on topic people.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
On the reserve note, does anyone in the helo world know much about flying helos in the reserve? I'm probably going to select helos and just curious what kind of reserve opportunities there might be later on. Thanks.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you can go FTS if your community has a reserve side. Both (FTS & Selres) HCS 4 & 5 fly HH-60s and they have a mixed bag of former helo aviators. You can fly 53Es with HM-14 or HM-15. There used to be HC-85 out of San Diego (are they still there?) and HS-75 out of JAX. THe first step would be to put a FTS package in. They do a board and select you for FTS aviation. I don't think you get to chose what platform.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
<puts on grammar hat>
from m-w.com:

reek:
1 : to emit smoke or vapor
2 a : to give off or become permeated with a strong or offensive odor b : to give a strong impression of some constituent quality or feature <a neighborhood that reeks of poverty>

wreak:
1 a archaic : AVENGE b : to cause the infliction of (vengeance or punishment)
2 : to give free play or course to (malevolent feeling)
3 : BRING ABOUT, CAUSE <wreak havoc>

<takes off grammar hat>

Flame on!

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
nashmodeler said:
Deserving is an interesting topic-
I realized there is a very interesting concept about "deserving" that goes in any humanitarian aid group, military company, non-profit organization. Should someone think they "deserve" something? Well, yes! That is just common sense. Things should not be so complicated. If you deserve something out of merit, you should get it...unfortunately that is not the real world. People are told there are "P-3 grades" "Helo Grades" etc. But that is not real either. However, I chose to use the word "deserve" in its original, call it Socratic meaning. If you chose to interpret it differently, by all means- you "deserve" to.

Now I am 10 hours away from my PhD in Neuropsych, sorry I had not updated my profile in awhile- thanks for looking though

Cheers!

I seriously can't see how ignorant you are about the P-3 community especially if your SO went to advanced in Corpus. There's probably several reasons why someone would go the VR route... thought 2 years of active duty/6 years reserve would be enough for them vice the 8 active for VP/VQ... only wanted to fly jets.... saw how competetive the p-3 community would be getting and didn't want to bust his butt for the next 8 years... couldn't get excited about an aging platform... But I sincerely hope he didn't tell you it was because the p-3 "HAS NO MISSION". The p-3 is one of the most versatile platforms in the Navy and flies many important missions especially these days. For me there were more reasons to stay VP than go VR so I decided not to go that route.