• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Straight to Reserves from Flight School - Status?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
I was just wondering how the people who went directly into the reserve squadrons from flight school are doing these days. Are they giving you adequate flight time and training? Are you glad you did it?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Maybe we email the head aviation detailer and ask?

I KEED, I KEED!!!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
Maybe we email the head aviation detailer and ask?
You should follow that with a disclaimer, else others may think you're serious. Then before you know it VADM Hoewing is calling up the AW bubbas asking WTF? For the uninitiated, VADM Hoewing is the Chief of Naval Personnel.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Friend of mine got picked up for that. He's in Tampa learning to fly the C-130 before chillining at NAS New Orleans for a few years. Seems to think it was the way to go for him.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UI, I generally agree with your posts, but that's bvll****. You understand those guys are AD with the reserve squadrons right? They're working/training/flying everyday. It isn't a "one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year" thing. They put in their time...every day, just like you or me.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
By...flying?

AD folks in Reserve squadrons are there everyday. Whether they're these new guys who went straight to VR units or FTS (aka TAR) guys who transitioned from the Fleet. Those guys are flying as much as possible.

Reservists have their required drill periods. Usually monthly, and they maintain currency and NATOPS quals by utilizing drills for flight ops. Reservists also go on dets to various locations.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
BOMBSonHAWKEYES said:
how do you stay current in the reserves?
Don't let the "reserve" name fool you. Reserve squadrons fly every day, and if you ever end up on a Navy airlift hop anywhere, it's a reserve aircraft and crew. There's plenty of NALO and AMC business to keep them gainfully employed. For that matter, nearly every platform in any reserve outfit sees plenty of hours. I should know - as a VP SELRES, they'd fly me anytime I could spare the time to come in.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think there is much shore duty for FTS types.............anyone?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Reserves .... Regulars ..... currency ???

I flew for 9 years in the Regular Navy .... got @ 1500 hours total even though it was during the Vietnam years .....

I flew for 11 years in the Reserves (*edit* I flew 9 1/2 year out of 11 ) ... all peacetime :) (?) .... and got 2200 hours ... and most of that was .8 and .9 and 1.0 hops ..... did beaucoup AD and always max'ed drills and many, many additional drills --- while at the same time holding down a full-time job with the airlines and being gone 1/2 of every month as a result. Works wonders on a marriage .....

Reserves pull their weight ......

Grant

Reservists get plenty of flight time. A friend of mine, her dad was an F-14 NFO, and was CO of VF-201 in the late 90's, right before they transitioned to F/A-18's. He told me that his guys could basically fly as much as they wanted, and they had no problem at all with guys staying current. He claims that they averaged more hours per year than active duty squadrons.

And apparently a Reservist gig is a pretty good deal. After he made 0-6, he went on to serve as CO of NAS Fort Worth from summer '02 to summer '04. Now he's retired, and works for Lockheed.

I winged about 7 months ago and the guys in my class that went straight C-9, C-130, etc. after winging are doing awesome. Making me jealous as a matter of fact with some of their stories. Qualling quickly, flying all over the world all of the time. Pretty cool lifestyle IMO if you aren't excited about really getting into the mix with a operational squadron...

Physicx

Banned
Thats why the ANG and AF reserves are so popular. But they are using them even more with the war.If your flying its never going to be part time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
UInavy said:
Just want to make clear,......in no way whatsoever did I mean to imply that reservists don't pull their weight. Sorry if I offended anyone. Except for physicx,...... I really meant to offend you, buddy. Just kidding. Have a fine Navy week.
You can't offend me .... I'm too old and crumudgeonly .... experts have tried and experts have died ....... and 35 years ago we would have been squadron mates --- so you don't have a chance. Besides, UInavy --- you and Zab are the ones who brought me to Air Warriors .... oooops, sorry, now everyone else is offended ..... :)