• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Straight to Reserves from Flight School - Status?

ip568

None
...Considering some people- get Primary grades that deserve jet selection and they "GET" P-3's, (a.k.a We HAVE NO MISSION- Community),they chose to do something different with their time...

That's perhaps the dumbest thing I've heard on this forum, and that's saying something. I'd be fascinated to learn of your in-depth background in ASW.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just one AIP fourth generation SAM-armed SSK can ruin your entire Sierra Hotel F-18, CV recovery day..."

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
McNamara said:
If I redesignated or did an interservice transfer it would be to a community that I actually have an expectation of enjoying. Knowing several former and current SWOs has convinced me that I never, ever want anything to do with that warfare specialty.
Ok, I was partly kidding around. But you opened yourself up for it with the "off the beaten path" comment. I figured it would be hard to get any further from the path than that. But I do know what you mean. However....there is no "that" warfare specialty in surface warfare. We do it all (ah yes, with the help of the aviator bubbas no doubt)...AW, SUW, ASW, EW, MIO, CD OPS. It is definitely tough, I'll give you that.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
By "that warfare specialty" I meant SWO as opposed to pilot, SPECWAR, subs, etc. Not that there is only one thing that SWOs do. I respect them for doing a tough job and not getting enough sleep, but I was never really interested in it.

As for the airlines, my boss told some interesting stories about pilots who were gung-ho for that job until 9/11 happened, then they were like "Oh, please let me stay in the Navy!" They hadn't really been doing their Navy job to the fullest because they expected to get out soon. I undertstand that many people's career aspirations can fluctuate with the job market, but I don't base my future plans on the airlines' hiring policies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
McNamara said:
By "that warfare specialty" I meant SWO as opposed to pilot, SPECWAR, subs, etc. Not that there is only one thing that SWOs do.
I know....just bustin your balls.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
McNamara said:
As for the airlines, my boss told some interesting stories about pilots who were gung-ho for that job until 9/11 happened, then they were like "Oh, please let me stay in the Navy!" They hadn't really been doing their Navy job to the fullest because they expected to get out soon. I undertstand that many people's career aspirations can fluctuate with the job market, but I don't base my future plans on the airlines' hiring policies.

First off, good on you for the C-130 job. Two fellow COD drivers fly C-130's out of Maine; TAR types. Our former OPS O got out of the navy when hired by AA back in 01. He had the job up unitl 9/11 and then wanted back in. He got in, did well as a DH, earned a number 1 EP but didn't screen. That getting out cost him. Had great FITREPS throughout his career but that little glitch demonstrated a lack of committment. Nothing wrong with that IMO but the Navy sees it differently I suppose.

McNamara

Copilot, actually.
pilot
Yeah, unfortunately the Navy seems big on following a pretty set path. I know dozens of people who consider themselves "terminal O-4s" because they put aside advancement potential for assignments that they really wanted. I totally support their decisions.

There's also a big difference between slacking off because you expect to get out soon and get hired, as in the examples cited by my DH, versus getting hired and then coming back in per your former OPS O's example. He doesn't sound like the type that would have ignored his job before he got out.

Thanks for the encouragement, too. I think the C-130 is a great airplane and I feel privileged to be flying it.