• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stash Jobs in A-pool

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
If you don't know what to do, just call the CDO. Even if its the middle of the night, its his or her job. If someone gets arrested, most def call the CDO, (had a happen a few times).

I had started a new QD basics document, but never finished it. Maybe ill try and finish that up before I leave Pcola, put my 5 months of QD watch to some purpose maybe...

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I never held it against the anthro guys, though. Well, most of them anyways... There was a certain member of the anthro staff who told me I was unfit to be an officer, and was a waste of his taxpayer dollars.

...and that person would be reason number one not to work in anthro...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
MIDNJAC, did you know flight management was going to start, "Everyone in A-Pool stands a quarter-deck watch" before you started your thread? Just had my one and only last Friday night. It was ridiculous. Thank God nobody actually needed me to do something. I observed for 30 minutes the day of the watch and was still clueless! I spent the entire time watching movies while reading the binders on what I should have already known. Is this typical Navy? I was non-prior OCS and still feel like most civilians know more about the navy than i do.

Haha...no my timing was just incredible I guess. And I take back everything I said. I did the AM watch, and spent at least 4 of the 6 hours feeling like a complete useless retard. There is no way you can effectively do that job for one day, and one day only. Too much random knowledge that you need to know....

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
MIDNJAC, did you know flight management was going to start, "Everyone in A-Pool stands a quarter-deck watch" before you started your thread? Just had my one and only last Friday night. It was ridiculous. Thank God nobody actually needed me to do something. I observed for 30 minutes the day of the watch and was still clueless! I spent the entire time watching movies while reading the binders on what I should have already known. Is this typical Navy? I was non-prior OCS and still feel like most civilians know more about the navy than i do.

Seriously, wait until you get to the TRAINING squadron....depending on the shift, it can get fairly busy and you will know jack squat about the squadron and what to do. You'll get phone calls about all sorts of stuff and no one really fills you in on everything. You just figure it out OTJ. ENS's and 2ndLTs who call the CDO (or ODO) for every little thing just perpetuate the uselessness of O-1s. I think MB mentioned at some point how we ENS/2ndLTs can't wipe our ass without consulting a LT/Capt. Seriously. If someone calls you/asks you a question/requests something of you, use logic and common sense and get the job done. If it really is something beyond you, call the appropriate person, but don't get ridiculous about taking it up the chain for the littlest request. Besides, your job is awesome...every once in a while you have to man a desk/phone. Most folks have to do it every day... ;)

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Seriously, wait until you get to the squadron....depending on the shift, it can get fairly busy and you will know jack squat about the squadron and what to do. You'll get phone calls about all sorts of stuff and no one really fills you in on everything. You just figure it out OTJ. ENS's and 2ndLTs who call the CDO (or ODO) for every little thing just perpetuate the uselessness of O-1s. I think MB mentioned at some point how we ENS/2ndLTs can't wipe our ass without consulting a LT/Capt. Seriously. If someone calls you/asks you a question/requests something of you, use logic and common sense and get the job done. If it really is something beyond you, call the appropriate person, but don't get ridiculous about taking it up the chain for the littlest request. Besides, your job is awesome...every once in a while you have to man a desk/phone. Most folks have to do it every day... ;)

It only gets better, too.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Seriously, wait until you get to the squadron....depending on the shift, it can get fairly busy and you will know jack squat about the squadron and what to do. You'll get phone calls about all sorts of stuff and no one really fills you in on everything. You just figure it out OTJ. ENS's and 2ndLTs who call the CDO (or ODO) for every little thing just perpetuate the uselessness of O-1s. I think MB mentioned at some point how we ENS/2ndLTs can't wipe our ass without consulting a LT/Capt. Seriously. If someone calls you/asks you a question/requests something of you, use logic and common sense and get the job done. If it really is something beyond you, call the appropriate person, but don't get ridiculous about taking it up the chain for the littlest request. Besides, your job is awesome...every once in a while you have to man a desk/phone. Most folks have to do it every day... ;)

Yeah, it wasn't a problem....I mean I got the watch done just fine, but it just would have been better served by someone who knew what there were doing.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I say this as a NASC CDO: When in doubt, if you don't know what to do, call the CDO. That's why he has a cel.

And as has been said - just wait until you're the FNG manning the duty desk on the boat and you get flame-sprayed by CAG for something one of your planes just did. Getting yelled at by a Captain for something you didn't do and you don't even know what he's talking about and he wants an answer now, damnit! That's a Navy good time right there. Have the XO's number close at hand.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I say this as a NASC CDO: When in doubt, if you don't know what to do, call the CDO. That's why he has a cel.

And as has been said - just wait until you're the FNG manning the duty desk on the boat and you get flame-sprayed by CAG for something one of your planes just did. Getting yelled at by a Captain for something you didn't do and you don't even know what he's talking about and he wants an answer now, damnit! That's a Navy good time right there. Have the XO's number close at hand.

To a much lesser extent, that's how a lot of my watch went. Looking forward to the future :)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Anyone else here think this is a good time to remind people that the number of posts you have on AW is in no way an indicator that you know your ass from a hole in the ground?!?!?!?!?

You're in the training pipeline - not "the squadron". When you get to "the squadron" there will be an E-3 to E-5 doing the job you do now as a training pipeline SDO - it's called the "Assistant Squadron Duty Officer". You are manning a phone watch, acting as a shit-screen for the guy that actually knows what the hell is going on.

One day, you will reach a Fleet Squadron, where, yes, it will take you a little bit of time to get up to speed. However, you're ASO & SWO will (or damn well better) take some time to get you familiar w/ what does and doesn't constitute a big deal in the world of watchstanding.

Until such time, just recognize the fact that you are in the training pipeline, and the watch you stand while in the training pipeline is also training - funny how that works.

Thus endeth the rant!

Reactions: Tom

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
You mean watches are going to get harder than looking up peoples phone numbers and telling them their schedules for the next day? WOW, wish somebody told me this sooner... Whats next, locking and unlocking doors?:rolleyes:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Until such time, just recognize the fact that you are in the training pipeline, and the watch you stand while in the training pipeline is also training - funny how that works.

So it is suckage for a reason....roger