• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stash Jobs in A-pool

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Maybe this is blasphemy, but why do only a handful of A-poolies stand QD watch while there are at least 30 hands at a given time available to fill the schedule? Its not like you can't have a concurrent stash job AND stand watch. It just seems weird coming from NROTC where everyone stands BDO/watch regardless of schedule or billeting. And no, I'm not on the watch schedule so I'm not complaining....just wondering if there is a reason? It seems jacked up to me...

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Maybe this is blasphemy, but why do only a handful of A-poolies stand QD watch while there are at least 30 hands at a given time available to fill the schedule? Its not like you can't have a concurrent stash job AND stand watch. It just seems weird coming from NROTC where everyone stands BDO/watch regardless of schedule or billeting. And no, I'm not on the watch schedule so I'm not complaining....just wondering if there is a reason? It seems jacked up to me...
Those are the kinds of questions that get you a stash job on watch.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

Feel free to volunteer for a quarterdeck watch stash job. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

To answer, IMO, while misery does like company, someone along the way realized that it is not necessary to put everyone on the watch bill. That will come soon enough, for everyone. So, if people can get by not being on the watch bill. It seems like a good thing.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
haha...I figured those would be about the kind of responses I'd get ;)

Well, if nobody cares then I guess its no big deal...it just seems a little strange. I guess everyone gets screwed over at one point or another (not that a 6 hr shift is really being screwed over) so whatever

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
When I got to A-pool, I was classing up the following week, so there was no sense to put me on the watchbill, only to take me off in a few days. Maybe that's not the explanation but whether I'm wrong or right, I was glad to not have to stand QD watch....lord knows I did enough at OCS...

Folks on watch are usually the ones in for the long haul in A-pool.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I got to A-pool, I was classing up the following week, so there was no sense to put me on the watchbill, only to take me off in a few days. Maybe that's not the explanation but whether I'm wrong or right, I was glad to not have to stand QD watch....lord knows I did enough at OCS...

Folks on watch are usually the ones in for the long haul in A-pool.

Yeah, I mean that's my deal too (most likely classing up this week), but it seems like there are a lot of long haul SNFO's in particular who spend months waiting around for IFS, and then after IFS not doing a whole lot while a select few get $hit on week after week. But I guess thats the way things go.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
That same stuff happened in my primary squadron too, but I think it was more for those not doing well. I had no problems in primary and stood watch less than 5 times IIRC in 7 months or so, yet others I knew on SMS or had some pink/yellow in their jacket stood watches around 15 times. Keep your head down and dont let anyone learn your name, my .02c.

Josh

IrishEagle85

I got offered a Stash job at Cortramid West... and I took it :p

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I got offered a Stash job at Cortramid West... and I took it :p

good deal...with the right attitude, that could probably be a good time. Not bagging hours in the trunk of an F-5F or Hornet good time, but you can at least pretend to be a middie while making O pay and perusing the SD clubs by night. Have one for me at the Bitter End...

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
There are two ENS shifts per day, 7 days a week. So one only needs 14 Ensigns on the watch bill for each person to only have to be on watch once a week.

Also, coming from someone who was on the watchbill for close to 6 months (I had surgery, I'm special) I didn't think it was that bad. I got to know most of the instructors and I actually know how NASC is organized. I also know what my actual chain of command is, and I watched many a DVD.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are two ENS shifts per day, 7 days a week. So one only needs 14 Ensigns on the watch bill for each person to only have to be on watch once a week.

Also, coming from someone who was on the watchbill for close to 6 months (I had surgery, I'm special) I didn't think it was that bad. I got to know most of the instructors and I actually know how NASC is organized. I also know what my actual chain of command is, and I watched many a DVD.

Cool, well there's a whole other perspective then. Roger on the ambiguity of our CoC.....lucky you :)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor

Of course, atm there are only 9 of us on the watchbill...which means a watch (or sub) every 3 days.

By all means, continue your inquiry :)

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I stood many a QD watch while in a-pool (another surgery guy). Aside from those who have a short wait, if everyone was on the watch bill, then the guy on watch would continually be new, and therefore, terrible.