• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

starbucks open letter re guns

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
If someone chooses to open carry, it's ultimately their choice, as well as their right to do so.

However, it doesn't change the fact that it's a bad decision. If someone decides to walk around town with an AK over their shoulder while pretending to be Benjamin Martin, that person has no one to blame but himself when others decide to call the police.

Me personally, I prefer to not be hassled by the cops. My handgun remains concealed, and if I bring the rifle, it stays in the trunk. I'll let others play "militia-man" in public and end up on the FBI watchlists, or in GITMO.

exNavyOffRec

If someone chooses to open carry, it's ultimately their choice, as well as their right to do so.

However, it doesn't change the fact that it's a bad decision. If someone decides to walk around town with an AK over their shoulder while pretending to be Benjamin Martin, that person has no one to blame but himself when others decide to call the police.

Me personally, I prefer to not be hassled by the cops. My handgun remains concealed, and if I bring the rifle, it stays in the trunk. I'll let others play "militia-man" in public and end up on the FBI watchlists, or in GITMO.

even I would go WTF if I saw someone walking around with any type of rifle

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Wink,

Fair enough dude. I think you were (and still are) a little off-base in jumping to conclusions. Who knows, I didn't see this guy roll into your Arabic Ruby Tuesdays - maybe we're all wasting breath and he just really doesn't care about anyone's opinions. It's his complete right do so. Doucherocket or not.

It's not a big deal. It's not like I'm not going to go off and start my own website or something.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wink,

Fair enough dude. I think you were (and still are) a little off-base in jumping to conclusions. Who knows, I didn't see this guy roll into your Arabic Ruby Tuesdays - maybe we're all wasting breath and he just really doesn't care about anyone's opinions. It's his complete right do so. Doucherocket or not.

It's not a big deal. It's not like I'm not going to go off and start my own website or something.
Fact is, we agree far more than disagree. "Arabic Ruby Tuesdays". I'm stealing that. My new name for the place.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I certainly can't speak for others but in CA I happen to reside in a "Free" county. In Fresno County, CCW's require good cause and the cause of general personal protection falls into that criteria. In the Bay Area and greater Los Angeles basin, most counties have a good cause threshold that the vast majority of citizens can/will never rise to.

The Open Carry folks in CA seem to be the disgruntled law abiding types that reside in counties that almost never grant CCW's. In fact even if perp threatens your life in a court of law, almost every judge will never grant you a CCW in those larger counties due to political favoritism. Democrat favoritism.

In my county, as a CCW we are strictly forbidden to participate on Open Carry events. To do so would revoke your CCW permanently and would bring significant negative media attention to the Fresno County CCW process. We're such a progressive state you know. ( btw- Our Sheriff is a Dem but believes in the US Constitution as written.)

So I empathize with the open carry folks in CA. They are simply making a statement that it's totally unfair, unethical and possibly illegal to grant people like me in a free CA County a CCW when the citizens of SF and LA are automatically denied their ability to obtain a CCW even with a documented threat. That said, I do feel just a bit safer with my firearms while dining and enjoying the great Bay Area weather and related cultural festivities.

Open Carry Protestors here are mostly making a political protest...at least before Jan 2013. Jerry Brown and the DEM regressives made CA Open Carry illegal after that date. Firearms are just too scary to be seen by the eyes of the more intellectually evolved. lol!

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CAMike

Couple thoughts. First, I understand frustration with the patchwork county by county policy in CA. Especially when the answer is usually "NO". But again, I don't see how making a spectacle of yourself helps the cause, particularly liberal place like most of CA. But practically speaking, I thought the law in CA was that when carrying open in public, even on your own property I am told, you couldn't have the weapon loaded. So what again was the point of carrying an unloaded weapon on your hip but to make an unhelpful point?

I also thought that the CA county sheriff approved CCW was only valid in the county of issue. You implied your Fresno County issued permit allowed you to carry in the Bay area while enjoying the culture.

Thanks in advance for the education.

CAMike

None
Contributor
CAMike

Couple thoughts. First, I understand frustration with the patchwork county by county policy in CA. Especially when the answer is usually "NO". But again, I don't see how making a spectacle of yourself helps the cause, particularly liberal place like most of CA. But practically speaking, I thought the law in CA was that when carrying open in public, even on your own property I am told, you couldn't have the weapon loaded. So what again was the point of carrying an unloaded weapon on your hip but to make an unhelpful point?

I also thought that the CA county sheriff approved CCW was only valid in the county of issue. You implied your Fresno County issued permit allowed you to carry in the Bay area while enjoying the culture.

Thanks in advance for the education.

Hi Wink,

Open Carry only refers to the "Visible in Public" scenario. Any Californian can carry OWB or Exposed while on their legally owned property.....less any local ordinances against, say in your front yard where liberals could become scared and freak out. OK front yard open carry is already banned in almost every Bay Area and LA County. As far as loaded goes, on you property being locked and loaded is your business, again subject to local laws.

In regards to CA CCW reciprocity: ALL CA counties are obligated to honor the CCW of any and all other counties. Yes I CCW on BART, Muni, AC Transit, museums and pretty much everywhere I go. No weapons carry in Federal Bldgs, State Bldgs, public schools, sterile parts of airports and US Post Offices. You got it- only criminals carry in those prohibited areas. We law abiding types are merely fodder for the criminals thanks to Jerry's kids.

Kind of ironic that the krazies and criminals prefer to have their shooting last stands in those firearm sterile areas. CA is becoming more like NY and IL all the time. We have the most stringent gun laws in the country and highest per capita incidents of firearm related crimes. Should every mentally stable person carry a firearm? Probably not but they darn sure should have the opportunity to do so if they understand the consequences of any bad judgement related to use of a weapon. You see in CA, if you use your weapon in self defense and the DA determines that the use was legally justified, the surviving family members are legally allowed to sue you in civil court. CA attorneys always have to make a buck at every opportunity and the progressive philosophy continues to empower them. Think of it like an STD social disease.

The arrogant Progressives here in CA want to tell every American how to behave and how to hate all firearms. I personally just sit on the sidelines and watch. Mostly because someday they'll likely need my assistance and it's gonna cost them BIG bucks for the knowledges! Yup- I have quite a few liberal friends that politically disagree with me but don't want to sever the ties completely...just in case. Go figure.

CAMike

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The exact scenario related to me was in LA County. Arrested for carrying openly while mowing his lawn. I had heard from others that if he had been unloaded it might have been OK. The patchwork of gun laws in CA is insane. Glad you benefit though. If It were up to Sacramento the whole state would be like San Francisco .

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't open carry as for one, it's not legal in Texas and two, not a fan. However, if folks want to, so be it. I am 100% a concealed carry type person. I don't want folks to know that I carry...well, except for those who read this on AW :)

Renegade One

None
...carrying openly while mowing his lawn..the patchwork of gun laws in CA is insane.
No…seriously, the whole thing about "carrying" while mowing the lawn is insane. I'm a huge 2nd Amendment guy, but people need to know how/when to pick their fights. Mr. Lawn Mower was TRYING to elicit a reaction, and he succeeded.

Winna winna…chicked dinna!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I still don't understand why I am trained, have an M-9 carry card, a security clearance, and the ability (and training) to carry live missiles, but must check my firearm at the front gate of the base. Like those fucking rent-a-cops will really be able to respond quickly or effectively when someone realizes how soft a target many of our bases are (I mean, besides Hasan and Alexis)
Pickle

Renegade One

None
I still don't understand why I am trained, have an M-9 carry card, a security clearance, and the ability (and training) to carry live missiles, but must check my firearm at the front gate of the base.
Harkening back to your Sesame Street days: "One of these things is not like the other…one of these things is not the same…"

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I don't open carry ..... I am a concealed carry type person. I don't want folks to know that I carry....... :)

I do not "carry", neither open nor concealed, for several reasons. But a hearty thanks to those that do; my bacon was saved on at least four occasions when "they" thought that I might be armed. One very serious situation, threats from a "mini-mob", was averted when I reach for the glove box and asked "which of yall should I shoot first". They all left posthaste.

jmcquate

Contributor
I still don't understand why I am trained, have an M-9 carry card, a security clearance, and the ability (and training) to carry live missiles, but must check my firearm at the front gate of the base. Like those fucking rent-a-cops will really be able to respond quickly or effectively when someone realizes how soft a target many of our bases are (I mean, besides Hasan and Alexis)
Pickle
.....not to mention wearing a cover indoors :)