• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stand by for high seas, heavy rolls in NSW and JAGC

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I seem to remember an admiral getting an early change of command (and his follow on order re-detailed) a few years ago when the OBOGS scandal came to a head. That was an ambivalent firing too.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Remaining charges?

He is officially an SO1 now.

For now, Gallagher’s pay grade is officially petty officer first class. Although Bolivar had not signed or certified the verdict, he was automatically reduced after 14 days and Naval Special Warfare contacted him so that he could report in the correct uniform, officials told Navy Times.
Now Richardson gets to make the call on whether he’s permanently an SO1 or, following the regulations, busted down to the lowest enlisted rating.

I guess he is temporarily a SO1?

exNavyOffRec

Right, but why the ambivalence? It seems shady. If she merits firing, then fire her.

I have seen this before, does "relieving early" prevent any challenges later? I had a Reactor Officer that was fired who then challenged it, and the result was that it was decided he shouldn't have been fired, of course the result was the same, his career was over, as it should have been.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For now, Gallagher’s pay grade is officially petty officer first class. Although Bolivar had not signed or certified the verdict, he was automatically reduced after 14 days and Naval Special Warfare contacted him so that he could report in the correct uniform, officials told Navy Times.
Now Richardson gets to make the call on whether he’s permanently an SO1 or, following the regulations, busted down to the lowest enlisted rating.

I guess he is temporarily a SO1?
My understanding is that a more senior convening authority can reduce the severity of a sentence, but cannot not increase it. I haven’t looked it up yet, or know whether CNO can trump that standard. He has already dismissed several other changes in related cases. Clearly a very complex decision, though the fact that he’s a short timer may give him more political leeway.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No. No Court-Martial Convening Authority can impose more punishment than the members gave. Only suspend it or make it lighter.

Edit: Simo run, simo run . . . :)

azguy

None
I seem to remember an admiral getting an early change of command (and his follow on order re-detailed) a few years ago when the OBOGS scandal came to a head. That was an ambivalent firing too.

The most senior Fitz/McCain firings were handled this way too. SWO Boss Rowden retired a few weeks early; and more seriously, had to retire as a 2-star, vice 3. ADM Swift (then CPF) was passed over for what had become a de-facto promotion to PACOM and retired unexpectedly.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So, fired, but not fired? I’m confused.

I've seen this firsthand. CO was allowed to have a change of command about 3 months early. Everyone knew he was "fired" but since he had an actual CoC, he wasn't technically "fired".