• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA- Who wants it?

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I figured I would start a new topic based on the fact that the majority are all caught up in this waiting game and should maybe think about other things. Anyways...

Who here has had people find out your applying to the program and tell you stuff about how they should have applied? I just wanted to hear some of your stories.

I had a few people come up to me and talk about how they are going to do it and so I ask them what they have done to start working on it. Most say nothing or say they have NJPs. Its a shame that I can look back and see a time where I was in the same position and thought about how I would do it someday, only to let the years pass by. I am glad that I did everything I could do to apply this year and got it done. Maybe I wont get accepted, but I put up one hell of a fight as I am sure all of you did too. Congrats on getting your packages in and I pray you all made it.

The Stoic

All my friends are damn liberals and still think the military is bad. So they are all shocked that i'm applying and think i should do something like ride a cubicle... :sick_125: Which makes me sick to even think of. Pretty much the only people supporting me are my dad and my best friend from college. Everyone else thinks its crazy to give up all the joys of a 9-5 job to "earn" the privilage to go get smashed on friday and saturday, lay around sick on sunday and then do it all over again. Hmm now that I think of it I MUST be crazy to give that up for a chance to fly jets or helios. :eek:

In all honesty I can't think of anything that could replace that feeling, unless ofcourse I get there and hate it. Although everyone who is post-military who was an officer says it was the greatest thing they ever did. I hope I feel the same.

Nose

pilot
Stoic,

I doubt you will hate it if you get there. It's not even 'just flying'.

It is leading men and women - usually the some of the best you will come across at their age. Taking care of them and being amazed at how hard they will work for their country and for YOU.

It is being responsible for a multi-million dollar aircraft that your CO and his Uncle (Sam) lend your for a while and making decisions that sometimes are REALLY life and death decisions. And whether that aircraft is a strike fighter or a helo (<--note the spelling there) you will enjoy and learn every day.

If you do your time and find out it isn't for you, then more power to you, thanks for your service, go kick your college friends asses in interviews. If you love it, keep kicking ass and see how far you can go.

Nose

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Nose is right, I work around aircraft every day and see the officers, get their plane ready, and launch them out. I look up them every day and think of them as the most bad ass mothers alive today. I would give anything up to get that status and have the opportunity to lead others while flying for the Navy.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
All my friends are damn liberals and still think the military is bad. So they are all shocked that i'm applying and think i should do something like ride a cubicle... :sick_125: Which makes me sick to even think of.

I was working a civilian job too, I took a big pay cut, but once I made the decision to join and entered OCS, I couldn't go back. I'm glad I didn't. Your friends don't know what they are talking about thinking the military is bad. Unless they have served and have seen it for themselves, they don't know. Nor do the probably care too much.

Pretty much the only people supporting me are my dad and my best friend from college. Everyone else thinks its crazy to give up all the joys of a 9-5 job to "earn" the privilage to go get smashed on friday and saturday, lay around sick on sunday and then do it all over again. Hmm now that I think of it I MUST be crazy to give that up for a chance to fly jets or helios. :eek:

9-5 is safe. You'll meet good friends in the military and you'll party with them. You will still lie around on Sundays being sick. BTW, helios is a Greek airline that crashes. Helos are what warriors fly.

53Crewman

FY09 STA-21 Pilot Alternate
I have been in the "njp" category for about 4 years. I just stress to people that are interested in this program that anyone can do it with some hard work and dedication. Who, in their right mind, would pass a free college education (while collecting full pay), job security with great pay and benefits, the opportunity to lead others while making a difference, awesome retirement, and the chance to fly everyday (err everyday you're on the schedule)!! You can change anything, there is always time to turn things around. It's what you did after the mistake, not the mistake itself. If I can do it, anyone can.

On that note, I have motivation for one last package :D

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
My friend got an NJP for DUI, was labeled as a real shit bag. After a lot of work and showing others that he could improve, he became one of the best AM's that I have ever seen and was considered the best member of my last squadron. That guy motivated me to do better with my life and try to help others who deserve a second chance like he did. You never know what a person can do until you give them the tools and the chance, even if they mess up once. I hope you make it 53Crewman and can inspire others to do the same.

The Stoic

Well apparently I wasn't too far off. I looked up helios and apparently he rides across the sky from day to night, but then the story strays to him plaguing people and what not. So helos it is, well thanks for the lesson in etymology and for the great advice.

Deep down I know what I am doing is right for me. As far as the pay cut goes i'm not to worried about that, its not all about the money anyways.

I agree, people wont know unless they do it for themselves, its all a preconceived notion. Good words though guys.

I should know more about the Greeks, being a stoic and all.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
My friend got an NJP for DUI, was labeled as a real shit bag. After a lot of work and showing others that he could improve, he became one of the best AM's that I have ever seen and was considered the best member of my last squadron. That guy motivated me to do better with my life and try to help others who deserve a second chance like he did. You never know what a person can do until you give them the tools and the chance, even if they mess up once. I hope you make it 53Crewman and can inspire others to do the same.

Even more significant are the sh!t-hot guys who haul off and get themselves busted like a lightning bolt in a clear blue sky. I've had several of those guys in my platoon as a plt sgt and as a plt cmdr the last couple years. I pushed all of them to put in packages. Three out of I think five got accepted to various programs (one WO). The two who never put in packages still completely recovered their careers to the point where one would never know they had troubles at one time. Bottom line: 1. DUI's are not career killers necessarily. 2. Nothing can replace the valuable combination of hard work, dedication, and passion.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I just don't understand myself why so many people get DUI's. I don't find it that hard, you just don't drink and drive and you don't Get a DUI. Any ideas?

k_smittay

I just don't understand myself why so many people get DUI's. I don't find it that hard, you just don't drink and drive and you don't Get a DUI. Any ideas?

Because people are immature and irresponsible. If the navy treated DUI like a true crime, navy guys might be a little more cautious when drinking. I think you should get brig time for DUI's. Period. Not 45/45 and half months pay times 2, which most people circumvent via allotments. The way the navy handles DUI's is a complete joke. You get the same punishment, as if you show up to work late too many times.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Its really sad to see that happen. I have seen some good people get kicked out based on drinking issues. I agree with you K_smittay, the Navy doesn't punish correctly for DUI's and it can destroy people that don't get the hint the first time.

navybackseater

None
Nose is right, I work around aircraft every day and see the officers, get their plane ready, and launch them out. I look up them every day and think of them as the most bad ass mothers alive today. I would give anything up to get that status and have the opportunity to lead others while flying for the Navy.

If I can influence even one junior sailor the way your officers have influenced you to better yourself, then it will all have been worth it. It will be six years from the time I found out I got picked up for STA-21 to my winging (NOVEMBER!) and I wouldn't trade a single day of it to do anything thing else. If you want it bad enough, you'll get it. Stay out of trouble (as others have said, alcohol will take you down quicker than anything else!), take some misc. classes here and there and just keep trying.

And good luck!

DeltaVictorFC2

First off, no I did not get a DUI. Keep in mind when determining appropriate punishment, that people deal with things on the civilian side as well. I knew a guy that spent christmas leave in jail (first offense) because VA is hard on DUIs. Not to mention all the money lost on insurance and court fees. I know the military is held to a higher standard than civilians, so thats why we have NJP to add on top of what a "normal" person gets. If what you are saying about the navy not being hard enough is true, then the civilian punishment is way off as well.

k_smittay

First off, no I did not get a DUI. Keep in mind when determining appropriate punishment, that people deal with things on the civilian side as well. I knew a guy that spent christmas leave in jail (first offense) because VA is hard on DUIs. Not to mention all the money lost on insurance and court fees. I know the military is held to a higher standard than civilians, so thats why we have NJP to add on top of what a "normal" person gets. If what you are saying about the navy not being hard enough is true, then the civilian punishment is way off as well.

Agree to disagree.