• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 FY05 Hopeful

Status
Not open for further replies.

boobcheese

I suprised so few selects. In the past there have typically been over 400 selects with about a 25% overall success rate (an even better success rate if you don't count those who weren't even qualified to go to board).

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Wow, not one single pilot alternate. Seems kind of odd on that.

STA21pilot

Flak already...

Man,

I called the NROTC guys at the school I'm trying to go to, and I'm already hearing.

"Blah blah blah, you won't be able to get an Aerospace degree. That's a 5 year degree and even with first year courses done your gonna be squeezing 4 years into 3. It's very improbable."

Geez. Does Satan ever stop!?! Lies, lies, lies. There's no way God got me this far to say I won't be able to do what I've been planning/praying on for the past 3 years. Guess we're all still gonna be overcoming people telling us we're not good enough, not smart enough, that we don't have what it takes. IT'S ALL LIES FROM THE DEVIL. We can do whatever we put our minds to. Keep the faith!

STA21Pilot

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
Don't worry about it. Talk to the academic advisor. I have a friend here at Purdue University that is getting an electrical engineering degree (normally 5 years) in 3, and he had very few credits going in to it. It's all about how bad you want it. He has taken on average about 21 credits a semester and 14 or 15 during the summer. It's pretty amazing, but he has maintained about a 3.9 GPA. We all heard the same thing when we got here, but it's just people trying to make themselves feel smarter. Go for what you want to do.

Crowbar

None
A large portion of our STA-21 students are/were engineering majors-Mechanical, Electrical, Materials, Wireless, you name it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's lies from the devil, but the people at your school of choice will know if anyone in the last few years has done it. Of course, if it comes down to it, there are plenty of other schools you can look into....

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Ask about the 6 month extension granted to candidates pursuing a 5 year degree program. The NSTC reps yesterday told us about that.
STA21pilot said:
Man,

I called the NROTC guys at the school I'm trying to go to, and I'm already hearing.

"Blah blah blah, you won't be able to get an Aerospace degree. That's a 5 year degree and even with first year courses done your gonna be squeezing 4 years into 3. It's very improbable."

Geez. Does Satan ever stop!?! Lies, lies, lies. There's no way God got me this far to say I won't be able to do what I've been planning/praying on for the past 3 years. Guess we're all still gonna be overcoming people telling us we're not good enough, not smart enough, that we don't have what it takes. IT'S ALL LIES FROM THE DEVIL. We can do whatever we put our minds to. Keep the faith!

STA21Pilot

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I'm not sure who gave you the gouge about the 6 month extention, but that's something that has been flying around since STA-21 was created. Hopefully it's true, but I know that in the past it has been shot down.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Since the person who told us was an NSTC representative (a LT), I imagine she knows about it.SHe was talking about a 6 month extenstion for a 5 year degree, not the other six month extension for someone who falls behind on a 4 year degree.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I don't want to piss in anybody's cheerios, but as far as I know, most engineering degrees are 4 year programs. The only one I know of is Arch. Engr that is prescribed as five years. At my school, ME required 138 credits, which meant averaging 17.25 credits a semester to graduate in four years. Now you can see why alot of people take 5 years to complete their degrees.

Do you guys have any summer obligations that would prevent you from taking classes? If not, then yeah, it's more than possible, because that's like having 3 semesters a calendar year instead of 2. Good luck to all.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I was referring specifically to programs slated as five year degree programs, which i understand most engineering degrees do not fall under.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Roger that, I was referring to the earlier posts saying that EE and such were 5 years...got in late on the thread

P.S. I went to Niskayuna High School, how do you like the capitol region? ;)

STA21pilot

For the new class of hopeful's

Hey everyone,

Just an update for those of you who had been following me for a while (thanks for the support), and also a little insight for those still seeking acceptance.

I got into my first choice school, the University of Colorado, and will be able to work toward an Aerospace Engineering degree. Being able to pursue this degree is due in LARGE part to the amount of school I was able to complete while serving on shore duty.

My family and I were able to find a nice home in CO and are planning on closing escrow early next month! It’s about 10-15 min from the campus and is in a great location to set-up base. It seems like a long wait now till I get to transfer and go to NSI. It’s odd now to see the circulation of e-mails around the command about the FY06 STA-21 program, and not feel like I am supposed to be part of that process anymore. It’s still very invigorating to feel like the future is very near and uncertain, but full of opportunity.

I hope everyone else is doing great. I know FC2spyguy is out there in BOOST now and so is etnuclearsailor and of course NukeWife’s hubby. I know all of them just because of the volume of support and insight they post to all of us acceptee’s and the new hopeful’s. Please keep your and our spirit’s up as we continue to reach for and live our dreams. Talk to you soon.

STA21Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.