• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Splash one SU-22 (merged threads)

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
Nations have been handing out medals for air-to-air kills since the get-go. Germany even had a points system (so many kills = so much flair on your Iron Cross) during WWI and II. So it's neither new, nor American.
Yeah, until people get to Erich Hartmann's level, it's all chump change really. (352 kills)

RHINOWSO

None
My dad works with the pilot of that crew. If his bar story about the engagement is truly "TINS" it's an eye opener. Great guy though!
Yeah I've seen the tapes, everyone in the world has heard the audio.

-2 did great work though, it would have sucked for lead if he had got both of the Gypsy kills.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Nations have been handing out medals for air-to-air kills since the get-go. Germany even had a points system (so many kills = so much flair on your Iron Cross) during WWI and II. So it's neither new, nor American.
Blue Max!

For the group, where the only USN kills in DS by Hornets or did the VFs get any kills? (I know, read the book...).

RHINOWSO

None
For the group, where the only USN kills in DS by Hornets or did the VFs get any kills? (I know, read the book...).
VF-1 got a MI-8 Hip helo kill.

There were other opportunities for the Tomcat, but none that were realized or resulted in a kill for the F-14 during Desert Storm.

The F-15Cs had the game set for them in Desert Storm, however if you read some of their engagements, some weren't so textbook - like the 4-ship of Eagles that fired 8 x AIM-7s for no kills.

Proof that we measure with a micrometer and cut with a chainsaw sometimes.

Pags

N/A
pilot
VF-1 got a MI-8 Hip helo kill.

There were other opportunities for the Tomcat, but none that were realized or resulted in a kill for the F-14 during Desert Storm.

The F-15Cs had the game set for them in Desert Storm, however if you read some of their engagements, some weren't so textbook - like the 4-ship of Eagles that fired 8 x AIM-7s for no kills.

Proof that we measure with a micrometer and cut with a chainsaw sometimes.
So, just between you and I, how much shit talking occurred between VFA and VF over the fact that the hornet drivers had more kills?

How many kills did the 15s end up with?

RHINOWSO

None
So, just between you and I, how much shit talking occurred between VFA and VF over the fact that the hornet drivers had more kills?

How many kills did the 15s end up with?
It was well before my time, so I can't speak to smack talking between the Turkey and Hornet drivers.

USAF F15s ended up with somewhere in the low 30 kills during and immediately after the war.

jmcquate

Contributor
Yeah, until people get to Erich Hartmann's level, it's all chump change really. (352 kills)
That's what happens when your combat rotation schedule is "fly till you die". And didn't he get shot down like 7 times?

RHINOWSO

None
Yes, Hartmann (and lots of the other high ranking German aces) were shot down / bailed out multiple times during the war.

Hartmann said his secret was never get greedy. Swoop in for a single easy kill and get away. Wash, rinse, repeat for years. Flying multiple missions per day, it adds up (and yes, he got multiple kills on missions but it wasn't his normal MO).

And let's remember the line between HERO and ZERO is mighty thin... as evidenced by the USAF F-15C shootdown of 2 x UH60 US Army Blackhawks in the Northern No Fly zone and other, less well known "ah FUCK" incidents.

jmcquate

Contributor
... as evidenced by the USAF F-15C shootdown of 2 x UH60 US Army Blackhawks in the Northern No Fly zone and other, less well known "ah FUCK" incidents.
..........not to mention USMC Infantry's love/hate relationship with A-10s. Blue on blue is a nightmare.

RHINOWSO

None
..........not to mention USMC Infantry's love/hate relationship with A-10s. Blue on blue is a nightmare.
I know, I don't get that either.

I read about a Marine who was strafed by A10s in both Desert Storm and OIF...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, Hartmann (and lots of the other high ranking German aces) were shot down / bailed out multiple times during the war.
According to Wikipedia: "During the course of his career, Hartmann was forced to crash-land his fighter 14 times due to damage received from parts of enemy aircraft he had just shot down or mechanical failure. Hartmann was never shot down or forced to land due to enemy fire."

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Never thought I'd say it, but does anyone know of SIPR at Whiting?
99% sure they do, somewhere at the wing.

Here's what you do: get a group of IPs and bring it up with the front office that you know the video is on SIPR, you know how to search for it, and you want to watch it together. There are plenty of red-blooded, gold-wing-wearing people in the chain of command who will want to watch it too.

RHINOWSO

None
According to Wikipedia: "During the course of his career, Hartmann was forced to crash-land his fighter 14 times due to damage received from parts of enemy aircraft he had just shot down or mechanical failure. Hartmann was never shot down or forced to land due to enemy fire."
Shit, that's twice in one day. He did, however run himself out of gas on his first mission.

If we are taking Wikipedia a face value, that is. I have his autobiography around here somewhere.