• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Speed bumps to OCS

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
When were you diagnosed with asthma?
I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma in middle school, so maybe around 12-14 They didn't do the exercise test on me because I told them I was short of breath after an exercise. I was young, what did I know?
I did talk to a former officer recruiter at my current job and he told me that it would be fine to get retested. I did get retested and the Dr said nothing was wrong at all.

P.S. I never had any symptoms for asthma at any time during my life after I was diagnosed. Therefore, I never took any medications or used an inhaler.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma in middle school, so maybe around 12-14 They didn't do the exercise test on me because I told them I was short of breath after an exercise. I was young, what did I know?
I did talk to a former officer recruiter at my current job and he told me that it would be fine to get retested. I did get retested and the Dr said nothing was wrong at all.

P.S. I never had any symptoms for asthma at any time during my life after I was diagnosed. Therefore, I never took any medications or used an inhaler.

If they didn't do an exercise test then they can't truly diagnose you with asthma, but since that word was floated out there they needed to prove you are ok, it sounds like you should be fine.

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
If they didn't do an exercise test then they can't truly diagnose you with asthma, but since that word was floated out there they needed to prove you are ok, it sounds like you should be fine.

Exactly. I just wanted a clean conscious going in. I have my first meeting with a new recruiter on the 22. If everything goes well, I think I can submit before the next SNA board. I think I just need more up to date LOR's and a motivational statement. Unless I am missing something else then my recruiter will let me know. Updates to come.

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
Thanks guys, I talked to a former officer recruiter supervisor that I work with. He said I was well on my way, just a few things I need to take care of first for a less than rough course. My coworker also told me he would get me a letter of recommendation since he was a captain, mentioned it usually doesn't matter but it wouldn't hurt. I will contact a recruiter asap, closest one is about 40 minutes from me unfortunately. I see the next board for SNA is in October, so that is what I am shooting for.

Good Luck!

My GPA is below 3.0 and I got picked up for SNA. It's certainly not a death sentence but I'd imagine your kit must make up for it in other areas (i.e. ATSB, Aviation experience, LORs, etc.)

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
My GPA is below 3.0 and I got picked up for SNA. It's certainly not a death sentence but I'd imagine your kit must make up for it in other areas (i.e. ATSB, Aviation experience, LORs, etc.)
Yea, I havnt seen too many people on here with GPAs lower than 3.0. Seeing someone else get selected with a similar GPA gives me hope. I am a fairly certain that I can get good LORs because i work with mostly retired pilots and servicemen. I havnt been to MEPs yet which has me worried for not getting the next board. Only time will tell I guess.

Are you from VA BTW? I see you graduated from Liberty

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
Yea, I havnt seen too many people on here with GPAs lower than 3.0. Seeing someone else get selected with a similar GPA gives me hope. I am a fairly certain that I can get good LORs because i work with mostly retired pilots and servicemen. I havnt been to MEPs yet which has me worried for not getting the next board. Only time will tell I guess.

Are you from VA BTW? I see you graduated from Liberty

Nope, I'm from upstate New York and I've since moved to Texas, post graduation. Loved my time in the Blue Ridges though and I miss the area a ton. Attending LU was one of the best decisions of my life.

And while I did have a lower GPA, my flight experience and degree helped balance it out so really try to sell everything you can in your kit. Think hard about your accomplishments and don't leave anything out.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Exactly. I just wanted a clean conscious going in. I have my first meeting with a new recruiter on the 22. If everything goes well, I think I can submit before the next SNA board. I think I just need more up to date LOR's and a motivational statement. Unless I am missing something else then my recruiter will let me know. Updates to come.

You need to be smarter with your responses with MEPS otherwise you're going to shoot yourself in the foot just like you did with asthma.

onlycraigdarlin

pilot
Sorry, I do not understand fully. Can you elaborate?

Don't volunteer any unnecessary information.

To immediately clarify, I am not saying lie but unless asked, don't answer.

Specifically, you've never been officially diagnosed with asthma. So when they ask, have you been diagnosed with asthma, don't say well I might have it but I've never been diagnosed. That's just going to make them pick you apart further in your medical, all because you were once short of breath during a gym class.

Last edited:

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
Don't volunteer any unnecessary information.

To immediately clarify, I am not saying lie but unless asked, don't answer.

Specifically, you've never been officially diagnosed with asthma. So when they ask, have you been diagnosed with asthma, don't say well I might have it but I've never been diagnosed. That's just going to make them pick you apart further in your medical, all because you were once short of breath during a gym class.

Oh yea, I understand. Since the Dr said I do not have it now, i'm going to say no regardless at MEPS. Recruiter knows though and i'm showing him the paperwork when i meet with him next week. I'm not worried about MEPS though, just telling them the need to know. All of this information is greatly appreciated.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
I don't intend to highjack your thread, corey11gray, but I have a question that is indeed a roadblock to OCS and figured it best I just post it here rather than clutter the Navy OCS section of the forum with another related thread, so please excuse me. I started my journey at NORS Norfolk, despite telling them that within 7 months I was relocating to NORS Phoenix. They insisted they wanted to start me off and then a proxy here could finish it all when it became necessary etc. etc. Fast forward, contact was dismal before I left Virginia, if it existed at all, so much so that I wasn't able to even finish my physical in the form of a 2 part Commissioning Physical, nor make the last Intel board. So I am now in Arizona and having to essentially start over with MEPS instead. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. But here's the wrinkle, I do not want Norfolk handling my kit anymore. I have been frustrated to an incredible, breathtaking extent trying to get that office to communicate with me the entire time, and now that I am 3 time zones ahead and unable to march into the office in person, fugeddaboudit. They have all of my only copies of important, completed paperwork, LORs and all (they would not give it to me to bring here with me when I moved) and my new recruiter here has been consistently ignored in a request to get my partially completed kit. I called today and managed to get someone to request an official email from me requesting the switch with my new recruiter CC'd, so we will see where that goes. My current recruiter is almost certain that I will have to start entirely over anew, as he can't even locate my NASIS stuff, but I sincerely do not want to disturb the authors of my LORs again because the struggle the first time to wrangle them all, was very real (people work and are very busy, you know?). My question is has anyone personally gone through, or handled an applicant who has had to do this? Have you successfully had your packet transferred/had an applicant's packet transferred? I've already taken the intuitive leap to reorder my college transcripts but I just want to mentally prepare for this seeming uphill battle that just completing my kit is going to be. I want to know if I need to mentally prepare anymore than I already have, to be crushingly disappointed in missing yet another board as I turn 26 in approximately 2 weeks. (It was a personal preference of mine not to be any older than 26 when I enter the Navy).

Sorry if this is rambly but I have been really frustrated with this and I didn't know where else to turn to ask, "has anyone else managed such a clusterfuck before?"

Thank you.

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
I don't intend to highjack your thread, corey11gray, but I have a question that is indeed a roadblock to OCS and figured it best I just post it here rather than clutter the Navy OCS section of the forum with another related thread, so please excuse me. I started my journey at NORS Norfolk, despite telling them that within 7 months I was relocating to NORS Phoenix. They insisted they wanted to start me off and then a proxy here could finish it all when it became necessary etc. etc. Fast forward, contact was dismal before I left Virginia, if it existed at all, so much so that I wasn't able to even finish my physical in the form of a 2 part Commissioning Physical, nor make the last Intel board. So I am now in Arizona and having to essentially start over with MEPS instead. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. But here's the wrinkle, I do not want Norfolk handling my kit anymore. I have been frustrated to an incredible, breathtaking extent trying to get that office to communicate with me the entire time, and now that I am 3 time zones ahead and unable to march into the office in person, fugeddaboudit. They have all of my only copies of important, completed paperwork, LORs and all (they would not give it to me to bring here with me when I moved) and my new recruiter here has been consistently ignored in a request to get my partially completed kit. I called today and managed to get someone to request an official email from me requesting the switch with my new recruiter CC'd, so we will see where that goes. My current recruiter is almost certain that I will have to start entirely over anew, as he can't even locate my NASIS stuff, but I sincerely do not want to disturb the authors of my LORs again because the struggle the first time to wrangle them all, was very real (people work and are very busy, you know?). My question is has anyone personally gone through, or handled an applicant who has had to do this? Have you successfully had your packet transferred/had an applicant's packet transferred? I've already taken the intuitive leap to reorder my college transcripts but I just want to mentally prepare for this seeming uphill battle that just completing my kit is going to be. I want to know if I need to mentally prepare anymore than I already have, to be crushingly disappointed in missing yet another board as I turn 26 in approximately 2 weeks. (It was a personal preference of mine not to be any older than 26 when I enter the Navy).

Sorry if this is rambly but I have been really frustrated with this and I didn't know where else to turn to ask, "has anyone else managed such a clusterfuck before?"

Thank you.

That is weird. I, too, started in Virginia as well, Little Creek to be exact. My recruiter up there didn't have any trouble at all allowing me to continue with a different recruiter. He gave me the phone number to a recruiter here and said good luck. I even asked if he could still represent me and he said no need. Although, I did not give him all the official copies of my paperwork, just copies of them so I still have everything from when I first started. Like i said, I saw the new recruiter over a year ago and had to put a pause on the process for reasons. I am meeting my newest recruiter on Monday and hopefully get to OCS asap.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
That is weird. I, too, started in Virginia as well, Little Creek to be exact. My recruiter up there didn't have any trouble at all allowing me to continue with a different recruiter. He gave me the phone number to a recruiter here and said good luck. I even asked if he could still represent me and he said no need. Although, I did not give him all the official copies of my paperwork, just copies of them so I still have everything from when I first started. Like i said, I saw the new recruiter over a year ago and had to put a pause on the process for reasons. I am meeting my newest recruiter on Monday and hopefully get to OCS asap.

I went to Little Creek for my Physical Part 1 haha to Boone. I wouldn't have given them my official copies but they'd told me my LORs needed to be ink signature so I figured rather than have my references give me 2 copies of everything, I'd just give my processor the originals. Didn't think it would be a concern. A tough lesson in CYA if there were one. It's nice to know your recruiter was willing to let you go. I cannot say the same thus far of mine. I am hopeful though.

1AO_MR_GRAY

Fly High, Fly Fast.
Just an update for everyone. First meeting with new recruiter yesterday. It went very well. He actually just graduated OCS this year so he has some insight for me. I wont be able to make the next board but there is one in early January so I am shooting for that one. I just need new LORs because old ones are over a year old and has old recruiters name on them. He said my ASTB scores are good where they are at but he also suggested I retake it if I really wanted to since I have time. I may just do that. So to sum it up, MEPS, LORs, retest(maybe), and Motivational statement is all I need for the December submission date.

exNavyOffRec

Just an update for everyone. First meeting with new recruiter yesterday. It went very well. He actually just graduated OCS this year so he has some insight for me. I wont be able to make the next board but there is one in early January so I am shooting for that one. I just need new LORs because old ones are over a year old and has old recruiters name on them. He said my ASTB scores are good where they are at but he also suggested I retake it if I really wanted to since I have time. I may just do that. So to sum it up, MEPS, LORs, retest(maybe), and Motivational statement is all I need for the December submission date.

so a few concerns, a true OR wouldn't have just graduated OCS, he is probably a stash ensign on temp duty, or he failed out of flight school and is being stashed there while waiting for redes, your scores are iffy but the risk of doing worse is a possibility so you should go with scores you have then if not picked up retest.