• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Special Forces for NAs/NFOs

Pags

N/A
pilot
Perhaps, but not the word I got from a couple of HCS sources, including my CO who would go over and socialize with "Gorgeous" over in your building (they were both at -5 together). The policy put out for a period of time (for FTS) was no HSL/HSM. That said, I know I ran into this in 2007... -60 desperately needed bodies and me and my buddy were snapped up due to our HSL records.
I had heard there was a "60H only" policy/business practice from higher after the Ft Pickett mishap. My buddy was rushing 84 and things were looking good until that mishap; he was told the squadron couldn't accept him due to him only having 60S experience. As to whether that was a "soft brush off" or actual policy, I'll never know.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If that was the killer tarp of death, it might have been a brush off. However, that was the timeframe when the word was put out. From then until the end of 2012, at least from the word that was being passed on to me (as someone not rushing, just trying to stay in the loop for others).

Pags

N/A
pilot
If that was the killer tarp of death, it might have been a brush off. However, that was the timeframe when the word was put out. From then until the end of 2012, at least from the word that was being passed on to me (as someone not rushing, just trying to stay in the loop for others).
Yeah, tarp of death. My bud was rushing, 84 had invited him to go on det to Nellis, and then the tarp happened and it all got turned off. My understanding was that HSCWL actual had been the one to make that call.

For what it's worth, SBT-12 (sort of "special forces" at least) wasn't too picky about what helo squadron was used. In CONUS we did a lot of cast and recovery, roping onto boats, and much more I would classify as "just fun" stuff with the whatever Navy helos were available at North Island. While deployed, it was pretty much whatever air assets the JTF or exercise commander could grab (usually Army, Marine, or the AF rescue squadron 60's) to help out. Again, I don't think the SBT's are anywhere near the level of a SEAL platoon, but it seemed like while we were deployed, the other services were able to support NSW just fine. It seemed to me our sister SEAL platoon worked pretty much the same way.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
OP: If you are interested in getting some experience as a ground-dude, why not apply for a Marine aviation contract? You will get a decent amount of walking around with heavy things on your back at OCS/TBS. If flight school doesn't work out for some reason, you also have much better chances of being a ground-dude (also we don't have SWO's). Finally, if you have your heart set on controlling aviation (and other) fires from the ground, we have a lot of FAC tours which involve you being out in the field with ground-dudes (Everything from MARSOC to regular infantry, to tanks/LAVs/AAVs/etc...).

If you get skids or harriers/2-seat bugs you can even be a FAC(A) which lets you control air and ground fires, have a great view of the action, AND sleep in a comfy bed at night after getting a beer at the warrior club or the Mirage or wherever...

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
That's an interesting option that I definitely will consider. I still think the Navy is the better choice for me (at the risk of verging into "jets or bust" territory) because of the higher chance of selecting something with a tailhook, but I'm open to anything flying related at this point.

Is it a little messed up that I can't wait until I graduate so I can put my OCS package in?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ It's understandable, but shit ain't all roses and candy here in the real, deployed world. Enjoy what you've got, don't F it up, and set yourself up for success.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
That's an interesting option that I definitely will consider. I still think the Navy is the better choice for me (at the risk of verging into "jets or bust" territory) because of the higher chance of selecting something with a tailhook, but I'm open to anything flying related at this point.

Is it a little messed up that I can't wait until I graduate so I can put my OCS package in?

Your original post which mentioned the 160th made it sound like you wanted to work with NSW face to face. If tailhook is really your goal your interaction will probably be over a radio, or the slight possibility of a JTAC tour (although that may be drawing down/gone by the time you would be at that point in your career). If you want to work face to face with them on a weekly basis, rotary is probably the way to go. For a little over a year I was their POC for air support from our squadron, which allowed me to over see and participate in NSW training regularly. I can't speak for HSL/HSM, but in the HSC world you will get plenty of hands on face to face interaction with NSW.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I know we're all Naval Aviators here, but what about USAF? How much involvement do they have? I know they have some "secret" fixed wing assets and I'm sure their rotary wing gets into it, too but to what extent.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Roger that, heading back to the books.
Your original post which mentioned the 160th made it sound like you wanted to work with NSW face to face. If tailhook is really your goal your interaction will probably be over a radio, or the slight possibility of a JTAC tour (although that may be drawing down/gone by the time you would be at that point in your career). If you want to work face to face with them on a weekly basis, rotary is probably the way to go. For a little over a year I was their POC for air support from our squadron, which allowed me to over see and participate in NSW training regularly. I can't speak for HSL/HSM, but in the HSC world you will get plenty of hands on face to face interaction with NSW.

Roger that. I was asking more in a general sense regarding Navy spec ops as opposed to being specific to my (hopeful) career path, sorry if my wording was a little ambiguous.

Anyways, I'm glad to see that both pointies and helos have the opportunity to work with special ops (albeit in very different ways).