• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spare the rod, spoil the child (child-rearing tips for aviators)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'm not a parent, but couldn't this be [partially] solved by telling the child to listen to any grown up like they'd listen to mommy and daddy, and subsequently giving other grown ups around the permission to discipline said child if he or she acts up?
And then the grown up says "come with me little girl....." I taught my kid to walk away from any strange grown-ups.

Plus you think I'm going to let some stranger disioline my child?

Yup - you're not a parent.

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
LOL! Huggy, actually, there's SEVERAL fantastic websites for Christians that offer sex advice with biblical references. Many of them are operated by preachers and their wives, even. :)

Yes, I know as I've been to them! Very informative and helpful... :)

Belle - your post so reminded me of when our 8 year old was first born.
She was a bit premature (but healthy minus hip dysplasia? spelling and the need to wear a rhino kicker for MONTHS). I had been through failed external versions and tons of heartache the weeks before delivery and fell into labor. On our way for her 2nd appointment (she was 2 weeks old) I was SO CRAVING a slice of pizza from my favorite pizzeria.. mindful that I had not slept (c-section = discomfort plus trying to breastfeed when the milk just wasn't come in due to the surgery)... and had not been out in public at all (too uncomfortable going up and down stairs and getting into a car). It was on the way and very early in the a.m. (hardly anyone there!)

You know that it would figure that to old birds came walking in.. they took one look at our little sprout (in her carrier, asleep!) and 'tsk-tsk'd me' and said, 'Such a shame, such a shame.. out and so young' They said that directly to my face! I was a puddle of tears.. (and hormones).

.. By the time our 2nd child was born, seriously, bring it on if you've got something to say. I must exude that, as no one that I can recollect has ever said anything! I must just give off that vibe.. lol!

AJB37

So, I found out today that you can't jokingly ask a little kid if he has ADD when he is dicking around and not paying attention. Apparently it hurts their feelings. I found out that little "life lesson" from a nanny after I finished my lacrosse practice today.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
And then the grown up says "come with me little girl....." I taught my kid to walk away from any strange grown-ups.

Plus you think I'm going to let some stranger disioline my child?

Yup - you're not a parent.

I was speaking of the social situations in which you know the adults, ie mando fun, xmas parties, etc. I wasn't talking about being in a supermarket and letting some random stranger do it. Probably should've specified that better.

And it was a question more than a suggestion. Maybe they're just one of those "uphill both ways" stories, but I recall hearing many stories from my parents and grandparents generation re: being disciplined by neighbors.