• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Spare the rod, spoil the child (child-rearing tips for aviators)

Pags

N/A
pilot
I have even been known to weasel out of taking both kids with me to the commisary because I do not have all of the great mommy skills to distract 2 kids while filling a shopping cart.

For my sanity while commisary shopping and for everyone else reading, please avoid the temptation to take the kids to the commisary with you. Leave em at home, they just get in the way. Both your life and my life will be easier. Thanks.

MasterBates

Screaming children in the commissary/mall/nex drive me nuts.

Running kids make me think I'm gonna get sued if "little billy" runs into me and gets a bo-bo.
Screaming kids make me wish I was totally deaf, not just kinda deaf.

I blame the being unable to beat kids anymore. I remember when if you acted like that at the grocer or mall, MOM WOULD KICK YOUR ASS! And it would HURT!

(so you didn't do it)

249941924_66a0aec8f7.jpg

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
Though I'm not very old (25), I remember getting my ass kicked as child when I was acting like a little shit. All in all I think it served me well. I didn't grow up and get piercings, dress in all black, paint my fingernails, and whine to a shrink about how damaging my childhood was. Too many tree-embracing parents nowadays.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
From a practical standpoint, I too was beat as a child and it definitely did me good.

However, if we're going to get all pseudo-intellectual about it, from a psychological standpoint beating your kids has absolutely zero positive effect on them whatsoever in the long run.

...but it does keep 'em quiet in the grocery store.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
From a practical standpoint, I too was beat as a child and it definitely did me good.

However, if we're going to get all pseudo-intellectual about it, from a psychological standpoint beating your kids has absolutely zero positive effect on them whatsoever in the long run.

...but it does keep 'em quiet in the grocery store.
That all depends on which school of thought you prescribe to for behavioral training and its effects on personality development. I do believe Carl Rogers would be against it.:D

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
All I can say is that I dearly love my children.

Still.. I have 3 blissful hours a day that they are *both in school.

I do not shop at the commissary, but Publix really is where 'shopping is a pleasure' if I go between 9-12, Monday through Friday.

Now, if I can convince the bakery lady to enroll me in the free cookie club without son in tow... Hmm..

Sincerely, I do bring at least one on occasion. They enjoy shopping with mommy.
But, I do avoid bringing both at all costs. This entails networking with other moms when husband is underway for child watch swap.. yes. And, I do mean simply to go grocery shopping sans kids. (especially over the Summer when kids are out of school!)

It is not only for my sanity, but it is a proven fact that a mom spends MORE money when children are in tow during a grocery shop. (Children can encompass husband here.. especially if he wanders alongside the meat cases)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
It is not only for my sanity, but it is a proven fact that a mom spends MORE money when children are in tow during a grocery shop. (Children can encompass husband here.. especially if he wanders alongside the meat cases)

"Ooohh...Ribeye!"

Bevo16

pilot
I take my son (turns 5 in 26 days) everywhere I go. The only exceptions are when I am going someplace where I know he won't have any fun (like a deer stand at 4:30 AM when it is 30 degrees out).

Little Bevo and I (and his mother for that matter) have been through hell and back just to still be together and we have a bond that is pretty strong. If you think that it's hard to take your kids to the grocery store, try 11 rounds of chemotherapy, two major surgeries, a bone marrow transplant, and 23 days of radiation. Not to mention 15 (of 18) rounds of maintenance chemo. That has been a cake walk.

I don't want to sound self-righteous and I don't pretend to be a better father than anyone. I just know better than to feel like it is a task to get up in the morning and fix breakfast, because there have been to many mornings where I would have cut off an arm just to get LittleBevo to take a single bite. You think diapers suck? Try being up in the middle of the night holding a puke bucket because your 30 pound 3 year old is throwing because of chemotherapy.

My kid is a blessing, and I do everything in my power not to waste a day with him. I hope nobody would have to go through what we did, but take it from us, don't take your children for granted.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guys like the meat case. Women however, will blow ridiculous money on Ice Cream/Chocolate.

Don't forget the personal care products....body washes, moisturizers, anything with a fragrance, and then there's makeup (but that's not at grocery store)...that can be insane

H60Gunner

Contributor
My boys ages 7, 13 and 19, go everywhere with me too. Commissary included, as we always end up with more than one cart to push. Of course I wouldn't take the little one on a two week back country pack trip to slay wapiti, but he'd go if I let him! I guess I am lucky, none of them act out, yell, scream, throw fits, etc... They aren't perfect by any means, but aren't out of control either, that's extremely annoying to me and Mrs Gunner aka COMNAVWIFEPAC.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
The best was when I was new to the "wives' club" (just moved to NASPensacola. the first time). I was at Corry, doing our grocery shopping. I was feeling like a big girl, as this was my first "NEX/commisary experience" by myself.

There were two kids screaming their fool heads off in one of the aisles. (in retrospect, I think they were approximately my kids' ages- still in an infant carrier and toddler-ish 2 1/2 maybe?) She finally looked at them, like she 'just' heard them... Opened a can of SODA, poured 1/2 in a baby bottle and the other half in a sippy.

Saw it with my own eyes. All I could do is stare and say WTF!?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Opened a can of SODA, poured 1/2 in a baby bottle and the other half in a sippy.

Saw it with my own eyes. All I could do is stare and say WTF!?

Indeed, soda can rot their young teeth and gives them a sugar boost on top of that...I always take a nice red beer like Killians in a thermos and give my grandkids that...slows 'em down and makes 'em very docile. I'll see if I can find a picture. ;)

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
LOL! Evidently, sugar and empty calories is the answer!

I wonder how that worked out for her.. :)

When I bring the kids out on non-grocer shopping trips, they like to come equipped with their own lists.. They are honestly a lot of fun, I just am on a rigid grocery budget and preference to shop alone! As for the commissary, as soon as I go and see that flies are not flying around the meat cases and produce dept and all meat juices are concealed INSIDE the plastic wrap, I'll be glad to continue my patronage there! Until then, Publix is my friend.

Someone PM me when conditions improve! Or, maybe I've only gone on bad days??