• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space Available flights

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Yea, I did a Norfolk, VA--->Rota, Spain----->Sigonella, Sicily for 3 straight summers between 2002-2004. I thought it was funny how they board and depart the aircraft according to rank. As a Midshipman, I pretty much didnt exist and therefore last to get on and last to leave. Good times.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Yea, I did a Norfolk, VA--->Rota, Spain----->Sigonella, Sicily for 3 straight summers between 2002-2004. I thought it was funny how they board and depart the aircraft according to rank. As a Midshipman, I pretty much didnt exist and therefore last to get on and last to leave. Good times.
Exact opposite of my experiences, with me I did the "No, no, no, I'm just a Midshipman" but they ignored my protests and had me boarded with the O's and Chiefs.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I'm not normally one to not help and just tell you to do a search, but seriously...same day?

I did a search specifically for "Air Mobility Command flights", got zilch, and only now heard it referred as Space A. Not everyone uses the same search criteria or terminology.

I was just wondering if you tried Googling the term. I thought it was weird way of referring to it because even when I was at an AMC, the phrase was usually Space A[vailable]. Anyways, I just thought I would bring it up so that if you wanted to make a drive or fly between AMC's, you could find destinations between bases.

BackOrdered

Contributor
... and by Googling it, I'm talking about "Air Mobility Command flights."

Yes, I did (yahoo). The usually result sent me everywhere but to a sign up form, list of flights, or how to properly pursue these flights, usually to some Airforce Command site. Since I wasn't familiar with the phrase "Space A", I didn't know enough to look into it.

That, and I actually wanted BDCPers opinions on these flights specifically; there isn't a specific "Space A" topic on the BDCP board. Upon searching for "Space A" on the BDCP board (now that I know what Space A means), one topic seems relevant, (though not aimed at my question) recommending this following link: http://www.afvclub.com/default.asp. I found another site that supposedly searches for flights for you and signs you up, however I don't trust it at all as it asked for you and your dependants' SSN without using https:// (the yellow tint over the address bar). If it is a scammer, that is pretty low. Yet another reason I ask questions here.

Well, I know enough now on more levels than one to aid myself on Space A travel from here. Thanks anyway for the informative responses.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I started a thread about this today "Space A Travel"

If any other BDCPers want to do some traveling either out of Pt Mugu, or North Island, let me know. I want to try to take advantage of Space A while the living is easy.

Threads merged and stickied due to similarity and interest

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Exact opposite of my experiences, with me I did the "No, no, no, I'm just a Midshipman" but they ignored my protests and had me boarded with the O's and Chiefs.

Despite the common idea that Mids are a bunch of bottom feeders, they are (or should be) afforded several courtesies similar to being a commissioned officer. That doesn't mean be a dick about it, but being grouped with the O's shouldn't come as a surprise.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Despite the common idea that Mids are a bunch of bottom feeders, they are (or should be) afforded several courtesies similar to being a commissioned officer. That doesn't mean be a dick about it, but being grouped with the O's shouldn't come as a surprise.

When I was an STA-21 OC, I enjoyed wearing Khakis at the Chief's Exam. :)

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
I'm looking at the Space-A Travel Index at spacea.net and I can't find any Oregon locations. Does anyone here know if the Air Guard bases in Oregon do Space-A travel (Portland, Klamath Falls)?

Otherwise I'd be having to go to McChord or Sea-Tac. Which of those two would be better?

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Sorry, it looks like I've been taking some stupid pills for a while...

My MIDN friend and I are trying to take Space A travel over spring break, but, are both very new to it and are having some difficulties getting our ducks in a row. If anyone can answer these questions, that would be great.

How far in advance can you find the schedule of flights? Does one do that by calling base operations? Is it hard to find out where the planes are heading?

We were planning on pretty much just getting on the first flight, preferably OCONUS, that comes up... good idea?

We're trying to leave from the Bangor ANG base or Brunswick... but I don't know if Brunswick will be doing flights in March with the base closing... suggestions?

I've checked spacea.net, the air mobility command website, and searched around AW but still have these questions. Thanks for any replies.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've done the whole space-a thing a couple of times going from the east coast to rammstein/rota.

1) It seemed to be base specific as far as release of flight times/destinations. None of them gave me the flight times until 48 hours out, although I could get a list of flight destinations as early as 72 hours out. You'd do it by calling the specific base's pax terminal number. This site has a list of all the conus and oconus pax terminals' numbers. The numbers check out with a list I was given this summer at Dover AFB. http://www.spacea.net/

2) Depends on where you want to go, and whether your destination has regular flights back into conus.

3) No idea, although I'd say you probably have a better shot getting the flights you want if you go out of a major base.

And just to reiterate what's said earlier in this thread, put yourself on the list for flights back to the US as soon as you get to your destination. You can do this at the pax terminal desk, or you can fax/email a copy of your leave orders in advance.