• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space Available flights

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Space A Travel

Could someone make a thread that could be stickied regarding Space A travel?

I know a decent amount about it, and a lot is available online, but the actual details of how one goes about doing it is very unclear to me.

For one I am BDCP. And in order to get travel information it always says you have to be on leave. While I can take leave, my understanding if I go CONUS in a non-school period (summer), I do not need to take leave. So if I dont go on leave to travel, but I need to be on leave to get the information, it's a bit of a catch 22.

Any pointers, tips, etc. would be useful. I really want to get out to the east coast this summer and would really appreciate information on how best to do that.

Edit: Most useful info from searches so far.
http://spacea.info/

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
To get a rough schedule of their flights you either have to go see them in person or email them with a .mill account. When I did it (back in 04) I was able to get the info without being on leave but in order to be on their waiting list, you had to be. Then as soon as your leave starts you email them or physically go and get your name on the list, then each time they have a flight going anywhere you want to go you go hang out and hope they call your name. I recommend getting on the list for your return trip at the same time you get on for the trip there. That way you have the best odds of getting home. (I was very close to extending my stay in Germany by a long time.) That's my experience based on AMC at BWI and the guys in Frankfurt. Hopefully it's still up to date and helpful.

cisforsmasher

pilot
I flew from Dover to Ramstein the summer of '05. Always call the base ops to find the schedule, even then it might not be accurate. The first flight i tried to get on took off early and I had to wait till the next day. (on a side note, the base hotel is nicer than some 4 stars i have been in) When you sign up, it is required that you present leave papers. Once you get to your destination, immediately put your name on the list to return. I failed to do so and spent three extra days at Ramstein. There were no BOQ or hotel rooms on base so we spent two nights sleeping on the grass in front of the terminal. The terminal was closed from 2400-0400. Most of this is just reiterating what llnick said but it is essential to emphasize that SPACE A is by no means a sure thing. They can cancel passenger service on flights with little or no warning so be prepared to wait around and be flexible. Give yourself two to three days wiggle room on the return. I had other friends get stuck in Spain because they failed to do so. And dont forget your ten bucks for the boxed lunch, it is delicious.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Also check out this site here http://www.spacea.net/locations.htm it has a list of most space a locations their contact info... One of the most important (navy) space a hubs is NAS Fort Worth and they typically have very good coverage of their flight info online: http://www.freewebs.com/nfwpaxterminal/flightschedule.htm
They show where the plane originated all its stops and it's final destination GREAT RESOURCE.

According to the flight schedule if you left on the 13th from Pt. Mugu you'd be able to get to Brunswick, ME!

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Make sure you have enough money to fly back on a commercial flight if Space A can't accommodate you. Me and another guy flew to Japan a few winters ago, then after checking out Tokyo we went and literally hopped on the next flight going anywhere (Singapore as luck had it). Things were pretty sketchy at the Space A counters at both Singapore AND in Japan. Flight from Singapore to the states was $800, same flight from Japan was $1600, so we wound up paying to fly back.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
According to the flight schedule if you left on the 13th from Pt. Mugu you'd be able to get to Brunswick, ME!

Even better than that.... I can go to Spain on the same flight. I figure i'll never have a chance to do the kind of traveling I can do this summer ever again. I want to try to go as many places as I can.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Has anyone else in BDCP utilized these flights to travel anywhere and what was your experience with it?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I started a thread about this today "Space A Travel"

If any other BDCPers want to do some traveling either out of Pt Mugu, or North Island, let me know. I want to try to take advantage of Space A while the living is easy.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I have not because it seems like a complete pain in the ass and can suck up too many days. I just fly commercially.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
It is a pain in the ass, and if you see my other post, I wound up flying back to the states commercially IOT check in on time ($800).

However, when you are talking about flights that ordinarily would cost more than a thousand bucks (to go overseas), a bit of a pain in the ass more than makes up for it.

I doubt I would do a space-a flight conus unless I lived right next to an AMC airport or something though.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I used the spacea.net several times, it's got a good bit of info on it. Plus, it's usually a lot easier to Space-A once your overseas than getting a flight from CONUS to somewhere. Try and go out of the big airports, i.e, Dover, Andrews, etc, as you'll have a better chance of getting a flight you want. Plus, once overseas, do the same thing. For example, there's a lot of routes from Ramstein to other places in Europe, so it's easier to get those flights, i.e., easier for Ramstein-Italy than US-Italy, and it's easier to go US-Ramstein. So, if you were going to Italy, do a Dover->Ramstein->Italy leg, much easier. PM if you've got questions, I did a good bit of space A'ing when I was at USNA.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I'm not normally one to not help and just tell you to do a search, but seriously...same day?

snake020

Contributor
If you have a lot of time to spare and can be flexible, Space-A is great. I would advise anyone in college with an ID to take advantage of Space-A.

One of my friends who was a cadet at the time took a C-5 ride from Travis to my base (Elmendorf) without a problem. Getting back was a little bit trickier; flights kept dropping off the schedule and she ended up taking a C-17 flight to McChord and buying a Southwest ticket to get back to CA.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I'm a huge fan of Space A flights. The only difficulties I have had, have been flying out of an Air Force Base (Hickam) other than that I've loved it, no real hassle and you meet some great people. I've done three FT. Worth - North Island roundtrips and a Ft. Worth To Kaneohe and Hickam to Ft. Worth flight, if you are flexible and do your planning it's a GREAT way to save $$ They even let me jump up in the cockpit, try that on a commercial flight!

l_41b84a7858afd5ea885240b460e81e28.jpg