• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space Available flights

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll have good luck getting out of Dover.

My Space-A travels:
1985: Alameda, CA to San Diego (multiple times) & back
1987: Hawaii to Travis AFB (San Francisco Area) & back
1988: Hawaii to Sidney, Australia & back.
Hawaii to Travis AFB & back
1999: Whidbey to San Diego & Back
2004: Dover, DE to Ramstein, Germany & back (Family of 4)
Ramstein to London (Family of 4)

We have had success using space-A, but you have to have a plan and a back-up plan. It is a waiting game with some stress.

cfam covered most of it. There are always flight flying somewhere. Some of the routes are covered 2-3 times a week (Dover to Ramstein). Check with the pax terminal and ask ow often flights go out to various destinations. They may not divulge the schedule over the phone....so face to face works really well.

There are lots of Space-A travel books published that have good gouge as well. Good luck.

-ea6bflyr ;)

navy09

None
Does anyone with recent experience know how easy/hard it is to get flights from NASNI to Hickam and back?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone with recent experience know how easy/hard it is to get flights from NASNI to Hickam and back?

To answer your question specifically no, but I will say it is WAYYYY easier if you go out of one of the big AF cargo bases. Dover, Travis, McChord...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To answer your question specifically no, but I will say it is WAYYYY easier if you go out of one of the big AF cargo bases. Dover, Travis, McChord...

Yup. Keep in mind that "Space-A" doesn't equal "free military airlines". It's exactly what it says: if there's a flight, and if it's going where you want to go, and if there's room, and if you're high enough on the list, you can go.

The AMC-centric bases like Dover and Travis have much more regular flights. If you want a decent shot at going somewhere, try those.

navy09

None
Thanks for the input. Sounds like AMC isn't the best way for an officer assigned to a fleet unit to get around anyway.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
For the guy who is a MIDN who wants to fly during spring break, please make sure you know the rules - it's not a green light to freelance.

Unless things have changed, only active duty are allowed to Space-A overseas if the destination is not a U.S. Territory. You can go to the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam. You technically cannot go to Europe. If you are a USNA mid, you are okay. If you are NROTC, then only states & territories. Not sure what status others fall into.

If NROTC, you obviously are not going to be in a leave status, but you need a form authorizing you to use Space-A transportation. Your NROTC unit ought to have it. It is DD Form 1853 and is good for 6 months.
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd1853.pdf

Places like Jax, Norfolk, Brunswick have two options. Call the AMC terminal or Base Ops and ask about Space-A or listen to the recording. If you get a voice on the line, they can often let you know of flights farther in advance. C-130 from norfolk to key west later today...

Option two is some bases that have a C-12 det often schedule outside of AMC and control their own flight schedule. Doesn't hurt to call them and ask what flying they are doing. Don't forget about other bases in the vicinity that might have something (Oceana, Langley AFB).

I always had good luck w/ the Reserve VP squadrons, even as a mid. I'd call Jax or Glenview and they'd ask where I wanted to go, check w/ a crew doing proficiency flying, and if no one objected and it was in their desired flight time, off we'd go. Ask for a phone number for their duty offices. Can't hurt to try.

Also, Andrews (ADW) is technically different from NAF Washington (NSF), although they share the runway. Be sure to call for both schedules.

The air force is a bit more constrained on the regs and won't typically bend rules. The Navy, especially at more remote sites, will often hook you up to get you where you need to go. I've had them sign me up on the manifest as part of the crew to get me home as a NROTC mid when my folks lived overseas. Just remember not to be a tool if you get stranded, and bring extra money to get home if needed.

Hawaii during spring break is very tough to get home from.

I have always had good luck going in and out of Pensacola (to include Mobile CGAS, Hurlburt, and Eglin). You could do worse than NPA for spring break... my last trip was NTU to NPA (C-9) to see my folks, then three days later, NPA to Albany, GA to Quantico, VA to NAS Norfolk (C-12). Seemed like it took a long time, but in reality, we only stopped long enough to pick up or drop off a couple of pax, so it was not much longer than a commercial flight PNS - ATL - ORF with an hour and a half in ATL transferring to a new plane.

I believe you can fly in civvies - long trousers, collared shirt, clean / neat appearance - although I've not done it. Might want to check the current rules. You won't get turned away in the states wearing a uniform. They might restrict travel overseas to civvies only.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Thanks man. Are you active duty Marines now?
Yeah boy, the Corps' newest and finest!

On the Space A front, everything went very smooth: hopped a flight out of NASNI to surprise my folks who just got stationed in Hawaii (sadly ran into one of my dads coworkers who was flying to San Clemente, he tipped off my dad that I was flying in... but my mom was still surprised!). The flight to Hickam was very comfortable; of the 56 seats that were available only 19 were in use (which has always been my experience). The flight was less than five hours, and between my books and conversations with the more "seasoned" travelers :D the time flew by (pardon the pun!)

Their website (NASNI's) does a very good job of listing and tracking the flights, but like always make sure you have a backup plan.

navy09

None
Good gouge, thanks.

OK Raptor, so Navy Mid turned Marine Recruit...what's the backstory there? That's a 180 career move if I ever heard one.

Did the MOI at your unit stick a Kool Aid IV in your arm? ;)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Good gouge, thanks.

OK Raptor, so Navy Mid turned Marine Recruit...what's the backstory there? That's a 180 career move if I ever heard one.

Did the MOI at your unit stick a Kool Aid IV in your arm? ;)
Call me a fuckin' recruit again! That's PFC Raptor to you (soon to be Lance Criminal if I signed the right contract).

Lets just say I'm following in the late Commandant General Barrow's footsteps.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Call me a fuckin' recruit again! That's PFC Raptor to you .....
Heyyyyy-y-y-y-y-y-y-y-y!!!

Raptor's back!! He's done more than most of you "wannabe's" ... so respect THAT if nothing else.

Welcome back, PFC. Well done!!

pmasters

Anybody ever Space-A'd to Souda Bay, Crete? I'm trying to plan me a little rampage around Europe before my study abroad (in Brussels) starts in June. I'm in proximity (more or less) to Dover.

lmnop

Anybody ever Space-A'd to Souda Bay, Crete? I'm trying to plan me a little rampage around Europe before my study abroad (in Brussels) starts in June. I'm in proximity (more or less) to Dover.

Your best bet is probably going through Rota--->Sigonella---->Souda. There are flights to Souda Bay all the time out of Sigonella.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a fair bet that there will be airlifters going through Rota, Sigonella, or Souda Bay (or all three) on their way to/from the Sandbox. It's a common gas/pax stop. Caveat that there are always LOTS of dependents also trying to get on those flights, go home and see Grandma for the summer or whatever.

You don't hear about it much, but Norfolk is also a big AMC hub. All my flights to and from CENTCOM but one have left or returned to there (and the one that didn't was just because it was a mass-lift for my NIACT group).

Out of curiosity, why Souda? That place is nothing but Bulgarian hookers and Russian gangsters. I'd go to Rota or Germany.