• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Somewhat StUpID qUestIoNs aBouT cOaSt GuARd AvIAtiOn

sardaddy

pilot
By the way, I do know they are going to be switching to the MH-60T in the next year or so. That airframe will have an all glass cockit with other cool bells and whistles as well.

Pags

N/A
pilot
By the way, I do know they are going to be switching to the MH-60T in the next year or so. That airframe will have an all glass cockit with other cool bells and whistles as well.

Is the 60T going to be the same basic design as the 60J just with new avionics, etc or is going to be "something cool I don't even know about?"

Bevo16

pilot
It will come with vibrating seats, standard.

Fuzzy dice hanging from the OAT indicator will be an expensive option.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fuzzy dice hanging from the OAT indicator will be an expensive option.

...and then Congress will try to kill the -60T because the fuzzy dice weren't made in the right Congressperson's budget and competing fuzzy dice makers are protesting. So the fuzzy dice (AN/AFD-1A Tactile-Enhanced Analog Number Generator/Rotary Wing) will have to be re-contracted with competing bids from fifteen different contractors, only two of whom actually make fuzzy dice. The winning bid will be an unlimited cost-plus contract awarded to a company that can't actually make fuzzy dice, but has made teddy bears in the past, and argues that it's pretty much the same thing, and besides, they gave Hillary Clinton's campaign a couple $$. So then they'll go way over budget and fall way behind timeline and finally produce fuzzy dice that weigh 140 lbs each and only have numbers on three sides. The GAO will go apeshit, Congress will demand investigations, the teddy bear contractor will blame the Canadian subcontractors who were supposed to make the number dots, and the Coast Guard will sigh and pull some 40-year-old fuzzy dice from mothballed HH-3s. :D

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
...and then Congress will try to kill the -60T because the fuzzy dice weren't made in the right Congressperson's budget and competing fuzzy dice makers are protesting. So the fuzzy dice (AN/AFD-1A Tactile-Enhanced Analog Number Generator/Rotary Wing) will have to be re-contracted with competing bids from fifteen different contractors, only two of whom actually make fuzzy dice. The winning bid will be an unlimited cost-plus contract awarded to a company that can't actually make fuzzy dice, but has made teddy bears in the past, and argues that it's pretty much the same thing, and besides, they gave Hillary Clinton's campaign a couple $$. So then they'll go way over budget and fall way behind timeline and finally produce fuzzy dice that weigh 140 lbs each and only have numbers on three sides. The GAO will go apeshit, Congress will demand investigations, the teddy bear contractor will blame the Canadian subcontractors who were supposed to make the number dots, and the Coast Guard will sigh and pull some 40-year-old fuzzy dice from mothballed HH-3s. :D

Test this man for amphetamines ASAP! :D

Bevo16

pilot
Uncle Fester has been around this dance hall a little to long.

(AN/AFD-1A Tactile-Enhanced Analog Number Generator/Rotary Wing)=greatness

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
AN/AFD-1A Tactile-Enhanced Analog Number Generator/Rotary Wing
Nice. But, technically that should probably be: Number Generator, Rotary Wing, Analog, Tactile Enhanced NSN 1111-22-333-4444

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
So I was at the Coast Guard Exchange yesterday and they were selling USCG coins with SWO and NFO pins on them...whats the deal with that?

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
So I was at the Coast Guard Exchange yesterday and they were selling USCG coins with SWO and NFO pins on them...whats the deal with that?
When you find one with dolphins on it, then let us know.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
A SWO Navy exchange tour is not uncommon in the CG; I've seen SWO breast insignia on quite a few Coasties in my day. As for NFO; well we had a few in the day (I'm not sure what program/airframe they supported...Hawkeyes?), but I don't believe we have any active right now.

JTB7

You've come a long way since this past October, when you were looking into being both a recon Marine and a pilot.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138656

Haha. Lol. I realized theres almost no way to become a Recon Marine and a pilot, so I looked into just aviation. Thanks to airwarriors, it hit me only 42% get jets:icon_wink so I looked into Marine Helicopters, thought they were awesome(especially the Cobra) and watched the movie the Guardian(pretty good, recommend it). Thats how I stumbled into Coast Guard aviation...

JTB7,

I didn't rename your post. The original name is still the same and has all those stupid random capital letters in it. What I did was try to point out that we have two types of helicopters for the same reason the Navy has multiple types of airframes.

The variations between the two is like asking the difference between a Humvee and an M-1 tank too many to mention. You have seen both right? We ALL (surface, helo, fixed wing) go after drug traffickers. That has been part of our job since 1790. How we go after them is a different story.

For folks asking about how the 60J stays in the air so long, I will have to admit that I have ridden in the back of an H-60 for about ten minutes and that is where my expertise stops. I do know that when they max out on fuel they are maxed out in gross weight as well which I think is somewhere around 21,800. I also know they have a lot of crap inside that aircraft and that they have one external fuel tank on the left and two on the right. No idea how much each holds though. A source I found says it can hold 6,460 lbs of fuel but I don't know for sure. Sorry.

Thanks for all of the info. Sorry for blaming you for renaming my post, I just didn't name it that. Since you were the first post, I blamed you:eek:

You say both go after drug traffickers, does that mean they have machine guns on 'em?:)

Scoob

pilot
Contributor
Haha. Lol. I realized theres almost no way to become a Recon Marine and a pilot, so I looked into just aviation. Thanks to airwarriors, it hit me only 42% get jets:icon_wink so I looked into Marine Helicopters, thought they were awesome(especially the Cobra) and watched the movie the Guardian(pretty good, recommend it). Thats how I stumbled into Coast Guard aviation...
Whatever you do, don't go see Ironman - we don't want to know what you'll be into after that!