• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Somewhat StUpID qUestIoNs aBouT cOaSt GuARd AvIAtiOn

JTB7

I was looking into USCG aviation, and was wondering what the main differences from the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]HH-65 Dolphin and the [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]HH-60 Jayhawk are. They are both rescue helicopters, why wouldn't the Coast Guard use only one universal helicopter?
[/FONT]

sardaddy

pilot
Why doesn't the Navy only use one universal airplane?

Different missions, different capabilities. The H-65 can land on any CG cutter with a flight deck and has about 3 hours max of flight time. The H-60 can't land on most cutters and can fly for up to six hours and conduct relatively long range missions.

JTB7

Why doesn't the Navy only use one universal airplane?

Different missions, different capabilities. The H-65 can land on any CG cutter with a flight deck and has about 3 hours max of flight time. The H-60 can't land on most cutters and can fly for up to six hours and conduct relatively long range missions.

Thanks for renaming my post...:mad:
My question was wrong about asking why they use a universal helicopter. I wanted to know the differences between their missions, how long they can fly(which you answered), etc. I just knew they were both rescue helicopters and was wondering the variations between the two. Which one goes after drug traffickers? Or is that a job for the Hercules?

MasterBates

60Js have 3-Wet tanks (RH, LH, LHEP) and I THINK their drop tanks may be bigger. They used to be down at AUTEC a lot when I was there. The internal cell is the same IIRC (4000 pounds) And I think the AUX's are close to 1K each (I asked and used to know it, but its been a few years)

Not being stuffed full-o-crap like the 60B, it probably is not overweight with all that on.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thought the 60J was the same as a 60H, just painted white...? Or not? Some other onboard gizmos?

Bevo16

pilot
If they have the size external tanks as the F/H carry they would go for 816 pounds per. With 4012 in the mains, that would be 6460 totally bagged out. I have no idea if it has an inernal aux (like 714 IntAux the Fox has) but that would bump total gas up to 7174.

In technical terms, that's a "metric-fuck-ton" of fuel.

I have burned more than that on single events several times, and my ass still has not forgiven me for it. I would not want to have the capability to fly with that much gas on a regular basis. They may actually want me to do it.

sardaddy

pilot
JTB7,

I didn't rename your post. The original name is still the same and has all those stupid random capital letters in it. What I did was try to point out that we have two types of helicopters for the same reason the Navy has multiple types of airframes.

I just knew they were both rescue helicopters and was wondering the variations between the two. Which one goes after drug traffickers? Or is that a job for the Hercules?

The variations between the two is like asking the difference between a Humvee and an M-1 tank too many to mention. You have seen both right? We ALL (surface, helo, fixed wing) go after drug traffickers. That has been part of our job since 1790. How we go after them is a different story.

For folks asking about how the 60J stays in the air so long, I will have to admit that I have ridden in the back of an H-60 for about ten minutes and that is where my expertise stops. I do know that when they max out on fuel they are maxed out in gross weight as well which I think is somewhere around 21,800. I also know they have a lot of crap inside that aircraft and that they have one external fuel tank on the left and two on the right. No idea how much each holds though. A source I found says it can hold 6,460 lbs of fuel but I don't know for sure. Sorry.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thought the 60J was the same as a 60H, just painted white...? Or not? Some other onboard gizmos?
It is in the same way that a 60B is the same as a 60F. It's the same basic airframe and engines, but different avionics and fuel tanks.