• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some Random Questions and a specific PRT question

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Alright don't laugh at this one. But is the movie An Officer and a Gentleman very representative of OCS? In other words, are you able to leave at night/ and weekends to go to bars or see the local women??

yes, and if your DI pisses you off..just ask him to meet you at the parachute hangar for a quick judo lesson.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
I'm still in college and have somewhat thought about Navy OCS. I have zero knowledge about military so sorry if i sound retarded.

1) What does SNA and NFQ mean?
2) Are ALL OCS people sent to Newport, or are there other cities/options?
3) From the time you walk in the door and talk to a recruiter, how long does it take to get into OCS? Some posts on here make it seem like a while, but i always had the stereotype that the military is desperate and will take anyone and sign them up on the spot??
4) I've also seen posts about stress and crazyness at OCS. Is that just for the first couple weeks, or is it like that the whole way through?
5) Let's say, one person had a dream of being a navy pilot and other just wanted to do office work on an aircraft carrier, would they both go to the same exact OCS?

I'll have more later, so check back. Thanks.

"NFQ" means Not Fckn Qualed. Don't be "that guy"

Nikki2184

3. the time it takes between when you apply and when you get a commission depends on what field you are looking to enter and the needs of the navy. If you are in a HIGH need area with a lot of turn over, like swo or supply, you can get picked up quicker then a more applicant rich field like intel or pilot.
4. OCS is crazy. The first 6 weeks are the absolute worst. You don't sleep hardly at all and you get beat all the time. 7-8 get better but are still painful. Plus you are worried about passing your classes when you can't even stay awake for more than 20 mintues. by week 9 you've passed the out PFA and all your classes so stress goes down but you still don't sleep. Week 10 you are under instruction learning to run the regiment. week 11 & 12 you are preparing to graduate and running the regiment and are sleeping less then you thought humanly possible. Then you graduate and it was all worth it any way.
5. Everyone is an equal at OCS. As for in the fleet, every community is a click. some are more tighter than others. But, every job has it's place.

the PROJO Site is best way to get an idea of what OCS is like. Only picture yourself not sleeping and under constant stress and fear. BTW, GySgt Sandra Center was my DI. You're damn lucky if you get her. She's the best DI at OCS. Just don't call her SIR!

cha02

OCS PRT Question

I don't have the best upper body strength,and it looks like the Navy PRT standards will require me to do mid 40s with push-up. Right now i can do about 25. So my question is-what happens if a person shows up to OCS and can't pass the in-prt? Is he just sent to "H" for however long until he can finally pass? Any of yall know what the absolute minimum (male-25) is for the in-prt?

cha02

. So my question is-what happens if a person shows up to OCS and can't pass the in-prt? Is he just sent to "H" for however long until he can finally pass?

navy09

None
If you show up to OCS not doing 40 push ups, go jump off a bridge. If you don't, I would hope they'd throw you off one.

EDIT: Re-read OP. If you can only do 25 pu's, go jump off a bridge.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Get on it

. So my question is-what happens if a person shows up to OCS and can't pass the in-prt? Is he just sent to "H" for however long until he can finally pass?

There is nothing magical about being at OCS that will boost you from 25 to 40 pushups so if your plan is to show up knowing you can't pass, you've got a plan for disaster. AND if that's really all you can only eke out now, you're probably not taking into account that DIs will likely discount your pushups. If you want to be an officer, you need to take your fate into your own hands.

This may sound harsh, but you need to face reality (that's why others are advising you the way they are). So you never addressed your upper body strength? Then get on it. Expecting OCS to nurture you in H company is no plan and won't work anyway because you have the PRT before you get Final Select. You first started posting 8 months ago so have you wasted those months without surmounting this obstacle? You need to get to a gym or with a trainer if you can't discipline yourself to improve and pass a relatively easy physical test. Note: just making the minimum will make your experience at OCS unnecessarily unbearable and increase your chances to be attrited.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You do a PRT before OCS where you have to hit your number, which is 47 for me. You can't go without passing that. At least that's how it is for my command.

Do more push ups. A lot of them. In my experience. weight lifting like bench press only helps push ups marginally compared to doing a lot of them.

25? Come on man I'm a lazy BDCP college guy and I can hit my mins :icon_tong

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why does everyone keep saying going the enlisted route is a mistake? What's so bad about it?

This is another topic that has been discussed at length. Do a search, you'll find lots of opinions and advice from those who were prior-enlisted officers.

To sum up: Enlisting is a mistake if your ultimate goal is to be an officer. You have the most control of your fate coming in off the street. Once you're in, you become subject to the Needs of the Navy and the Navy may or may not need you to become an officer.

Seriously - your questions so far have been asked and answered many times. Take advantage of the wealth of knowledge here and do a search. Welcome aboard!

Incidentally, if you have no interest at all in flying, why are you posting on a Naval Aviation forum?

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot

you'll sit in H while you watch your class progress without you. some people have sat in H long enough to help set up for their original class to graduate, and even attend their graduation still not classed up. when in H your progress does not continue AND if you roll into H the first week you don't get rid of the poopie suit and chrome dome. you'll do PRT's until you pass two IIRC then you class up.

do pushups, do them often. that is the only way you'll get numbers up. do them properly, too. HOLD the pushup position for the full 2 minutes even if you cannot push any more. don't crank out 20 weak ass pushups and then go ok done and stand up, stay in the up position for the remainder of the 2 minutes.

if you're having push up problems you need to be pushing BEYOND your max AT LEAST three times a day and holding the position for the full 2 minutes each time. searching will provide more suggestions.

m26

Contributor
If you're having push up problems you need to be pushing BEYOND your max AT LEAST three times a day and holding the position for the full 2 minutes each time. searching will provide more suggestions.

How do you push beyond your max? :confused:

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i always had the stereotype that the military is desperate and will take anyone and sign them up on the spot??

You need to read up here a bit more. Like most organizations, all the services are akin to a pyramid. Criteria at bottom rung is low enough that a high school diploma or equivalency will get you in the door. Sounds like you may have gotten a false impression that all entry points into the pyramid are open to whomever wants to sign on the dotted line. Even enlisted rates has specialties that are highly competitive, but commissioned officer accession is further up the pyramid and since it offers better pay/more responsibilities at entry and opportunities like flight school, it is even more highly competitive and consequently requires more education/grades/physical ability/extra curricular activity

5) Let's say, one person had a dream of being a navy pilot and other just wanted to do office work on an aircraft carrier, would they both go to the same exact OCS?

If you want to go into the Navy to do "office work", you need to look into navy a bit more. navy officers are leaders, not office workers. Or talk to a recruiter and let them explain jobs available at enlisted and officer entry points.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
How do you push beyond your max? :confused:
You do a few more after your form goes to shit.

But I think what he was saying is not to settle for your "max." Someone who can only do 25 pushups can easily tack on an extra pushup or two the first few days he starts working out seriously.