• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Some Random Questions and a specific PRT question

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Usnavyocs.com and sailorbob.com are other Navy forums. Also, there is a general forum at the Navy.mil website where people can answer any direct questions about the Navy you have as well.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
you'll sit in H while you watch your class progress without you. some people have sat in H long enough to help set up for their original class to graduate, and even attend their graduation still not classed up. when in H your progress does not continue AND if you roll into H the first week you don't get rid of the poopie suit and chrome dome. you'll do PRT's until you pass two IIRC then you class up.

But you have to get into OCS first. With plenty of applicants applying that are at hight end of PRT performance, inability to do minimum amount of pushups isn't going to help your package.

MasterBates

Dude, if you are a 25 year old male and can't do more than 25 pushups, OCS will DESTROY you.

Get your ass off the couch, lift some weights and eat some protien.

Gunny ain't gonna care if you can run a 1.5 in 8 flat, if you can't do 60+ pushups.

You are going to have to do 87 situps 72 pushups and a 10:30 1.5 to graduate OCS (maybe just a bit slower/couple less due to age, but that's about the level).

scottwith1t

east coast
pilot
How do you push beyond your max? :confused:
just keep pushing. don't stop till muscle failure -- that is how it'll be at OCS at least a few times. make noises, faces, tense up, whatever it takes to get just one more out. and then one more beyond that. wash, rinse, repeat.

besides, the more you can do prior the better off you are once you get there. know your minimums for the in-PRT and sandbag it so that your mid and out PRT's look that much better. OCS is a game, the earlier you catch on and start playing it the better off you will be. i'm sure someone will post up about how that is a dick thing to do and people who sandbag the in-PRT are garbage but that'll probably be someone who makes your life hell once you get there simply because they never understand the game enough to play it. you'll see what i mean if you get there...

MasterBates

I was a max-effort all the time guy for PT. I started off strong, got meh in the middle, and then back to where I started for all but the run with a slight Pushup improvement at the end.

Don't game the game or it will game you.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Dunno if this falls under "sandbagging" or not, but going into OCS I was able to do about 70 pushups. Come in-prt, I only did about 55 or so, but I made damn sure that each one was perfect, and I spread them out for the entire two minutes. Ditto for situps, except I did 60-ish.

You don't get any points for being a hero on the in-prt, and you run the risk of getting zeroed and sent to H for poor form just because you wanted to set a new personal record. You also have to hold the pushup position for the entire 2 minutes, so cranking out one last rep before collapsing at 1:37 isn't going to help your cause, either. The DIs and CPOs picked on the guys who stopped when I was there...they don't care if you just did 110 pushups, if you're not moving then they're focusing on you.

m26

Contributor
just keep pushing. don't stop till muscle failure.

That's what I do now.

You do a few more after your form goes to shit.

But I think what he was saying is not to settle for your "max." Someone who can only do 25 pushups can easily tack on an extra pushup or two the first few days he starts working out seriously.

I guess I'll try that. I go until muscle failure, but keep perfect form. I'll see how many more I can push out.

I don't settle for my max, but my max is still pathetic.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
For me, the two biggest things that improved my pushups while at OCS were: 1. bear crawling friggin everywhere and always using my arms to hold me up and 2. having to hold the down position of a pushup for long periods of time often. The two combined increased my muscle endurance to the point that once I get to the 70 mark, I can pause for a few seconds and crank out sets of 5 into the 90s.

So yea, you can also try to alternate workouts between cranking out a max number and holding the down position as long as possible.

nugget81

pilot
just keep pushing....know your minimums for the in-PRT and sandbag it so that your mid and out PRT's look that much better. OCS is a game, the earlier you catch on and start playing it the better off you will be....

Did you just tell him to keep pushing and then condradict yourself by saying he should sandbag?:confused: WTF? Give it your all or go home....

OCS is a game, but like Masterbates said - don't try to game the game--especially when you don't know how the game is played (which you don't at the in-pfa).