• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Solving the Navy's problems one RC squadron at a time

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
During an intermission at a NARG in 2015-ish, I was asking one of the NAVAIR guys about why we couldn't get new engines. He said they had done the initial EI and said to keep the existing tranny and not over-Tq it, the aircraft would need new blades. If I remember correctly, they're review was just looking at the Mike blades, but I'm guessing if they were truly going to re-engine them, they'd look at other options for thoroughness.

So is the 401D for FVL or potentially Seahawk? If you're able to say.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
During an intermission at a NARG in 2015-ish, I was asking one of the NAVAIR guys about why we couldn't get new engines. He said they had done the initial EI and said to keep the existing tranny and not over-Tq it, the aircraft would need new blades. If I remember correctly, they're review was just looking at the Mike blades, but I'm guessing if they were truly going to re-engine them, they'd look at other options for thoroughness.

So is the 401D for FVL or potentially Seahawk? If you're able to say.
Seahawk. You should see a NATOPS IC this summer(ish). No notable change to performance, limits, etc. Happy to pass more specifics over NIPR.

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot
Care to expand on that? Are the the 701s more delicate in the maritime environment? I get that to actually use them and still keep the same tranny, the blades would need to be changed, but was curious if there was something specific about 701s that make you say what you did.

When I was at the 60G schoolhouse, the canned response for that was that the fit tolerances were slightly different, presumably to permit more salt in the 401 vs 701 (or some kind of coating to limit the corrosion). Water washes only got performed every phase vs every day/60 hrs in the overland environment, but I’d imagine that they’d use a different schedule if operating from a ship for more than a few days.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I was at the 60G schoolhouse, the canned response for that was that the fit tolerances were slightly different, presumably to permit more salt in the 401 vs 701 (or some kind of coating to limit the corrosion). Water washes only got performed every phase vs every day/60 hrs in the overland environment, but I’d imagine that they’d use a different schedule if operating from a ship for more than a few days.

And yet, somehow shaft rub is still a problem. I kid...kind of.

This thread has gone way off track. @Gatordev thread split?

Well that was painful.

red_stang65

pilot
Air Boss’s letter in the latest Rotor Review ahead of the 2023 NHA Symposium is interesting. Nice shoutout to Navy Reserve units!

Only…5 of the 6 units he references are either already closed (HSC/HSM SAUs, both TSUs closed in 2021), or about to close (HSC-85 this year). So much for that “Total Force” or that “incredible level of skill and experience.”

What’s the over-under on HSM-60 getting cut next? They narrowly dodged a bullet only a few years ago… 1685516819590.jpeg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Air Boss’s letter in the latest Rotor Review ahead of the 2023 NHA Symposium is interesting. Nice shoutout to Navy Reserve units!

Only…5 of the 6 units he references are either already closed (HSC/HSM SAUs, both TSUs closed in 2021), or about to close (HSC-85 this year). So much for that “Total Force” or that “incredible level of skill and experience.”

What’s the over-under on HSM-60 getting cut next? They narrowly dodged a bullet only a few years ago… View attachment 38190
Talk about being out of touch.

Even if he didn’t specifically know these units went away (which I doubt, AirBoss is a sharp dude), his staff absolutely should’ve known.

And for the guys in these units, of whom I know quite a few, what a slap in the face. Get specific recognition from the boss for your experience and value to then get shut down.

red_stang65

pilot
@insanebikerboy, my sentiments exactly. I mean, he’s gotta know, right? Or at least his staff or whoever wrote/edited the piece?

Worst case, if neither he nor his team were tracking, then what does that say about the coordination between CNAF and CNAFR? Yikes… ??‍♂️

croakerfish

pilot

What’s the over-under on HSM-60 getting cut next? They narrowly dodged a bullet only a few years ago… View attachment 38190
Oh cool don’t even mention the only HSC reserve unit that we still have.

red_stang65

pilot
Oh cool don’t even mention the only HSC reserve unit that we still have.
Right? SCORE/FSD does a lot of great work for SUBFOR, but probably doesn’t get a lot of love since they can’t deploy or offload much else from AC HSC. Unsung heroes offloading tasking from the AC, though.