• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So long HGU-55/P

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
While Naval Aviation Enterprise and NAVAIR regard aircrew flight equipment as an after thought, and has a history of deploying deprecated designs (going back to Korea, Vietnam, until the present) or at the very least, pretending Naval Aviation has unique requirments over other services and re-inventing the wheel (HGU-68 and HGU-84 anyone?), the AF this week issued a major award for its Next Generation Fixed Wing helmet.

The U.S. Air Force has picked California-based LIFT Airborne Technologies‘ AV 2.2 helmet to serve as the Next Generation Fixed Wing helmet.

LIFT Technologies’ offering was competing in the prototype phase against two designs by Michigan-based aircraft helmet heavyweight, GENTEX Corp., and Idaho-based Aviation Specialties Unlimited, which teamed with Tennessee-based Paraclete Aviation Life Support

Here's the basic helmet design:

1657385098328.png .......and as implemented per AF requirements

1657385141652.png

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
I still have my custom fitted helmet from Flight Gear Unlimited, but it sits on the shelf now. That was a sweet piece of kit.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It still blows my mind how antiquated the F-18/T-45 gear setup is compared to the modern USAF harness. When I moved to F-35 gear (with no pilot-worn harness) it was an absolute revelation.
That’s what you get when your community has LT pilots that did a 4G inverted dive with a MiG-28 in 1986 sticking around so long that they’re still flying combat missions with their former RIO’s adult son in 2022 as an O6.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It still blows my mind how antiquated the F-18/T-45 gear setup is compared to the modern USAF harness. When I moved to F-35 gear (with no pilot-worn harness) it was an absolute revelation.

no idea what the F-35 gear is like, but the Viper gear sitch was pretty nice. We did have a harness, but you buckled it up at the jet with groin clips, and there was no navy vest (or at all).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You know, this has me thinking. Since everyone gets jittery when unmanned combat fighter jets are discussed maybe we could just get rid of all that helmet stuff and give those selected for jets terminator-like bionic eyes! That would eliminate all that heavy stuff on your head.

The only problem is you’d have to give them back when your service is over.

02A456A4-DB62-4DA3-A706-3CE3846CBAE7.jpeg

Last edited:

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
no idea what the F-35 gear is like, but the Viper gear sitch was pretty nice. We did have a harness, but you buckled it up at the jet with groin clips, and there was no navy vest (or at all).

With F-35 gear you just wear a G-suit and a full-sleeved survival "jacket" that has anti-flail arm restraints on the sleeves. We also have hot weather gear, where you wear a special flight suit that has the arm restraints built in, and you just need to wear a survival vest over it. Very clutch when walking to a jet in Lemoore when it's 110 out...

The biggest thing is the harness is built into the seat, so I walk to the jet wearing a g-suit and a vest most days.

We've done some Nellis flying lately, and seeing the Raptor/Mudhen dudes walking "stepping" to the jet wearing the USAF/F-16 style harness makes me feel for our Rhino brethren. Although they walk not wearing their helmets which I will never understand ;)

ChuckMK23

pilot
Lift Airborne Technologies recently published a dedicated product page for the USAF Next Gen fixed-wing helmet system:

ChuckMK23

pilot

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
In other ALSS news, looks like the Army high-speed/low-drag SOAR types are moving away from the HGU-56/p (first to adopt it) to something cooler!

But will we see it in the @Griz882 Griz-O-Copter? EMS use with @Gatordev ?

Old idea simply modified for military use…https://www.skycowboysupplyco.com/product-page/scsc-pilot-helmet-package-headset-included

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
My goodness those look so much cheaper and more comfortable than HGU-84/56. It’ll never happen for us.

Is that LIFT helmet the same thing as the MACH (modular air crew helmet)?