• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So long HGU-55/P

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hate that shit. There are so many parallel programs across DoD trying to solve the same problems and wasting billions annually because we refuse to work together.
The private sector has its own flavors of stupidity. Different flavors, but still stupid.

Random8145

It's not just reflectivity, it's the color white to contrast the green or blue of the water. Is that helpful with lots of white caps? No since it gives false positives, but it can be helpful in larger swells and/or when the sun is at certain angles.

People absolutely disappear in heavy sea states, even when you're hovering right next to them. This is also why downed airmen and Rescue Swimmers are trained to make big splashes when the RU is in sight. It helps break out the person from the water.
Just curious, but if white blends in with the white caps and yet is meant to help identify a downed person, why not paint it something like a bright orange? Or use bright orange tape?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I hate that shit. There are so many parallel programs across DoD trying to solve the same problems and wasting billions annually because we refuse to work together.

Like how the USMC only spent $200,000 on the development of good digital cammies, but then everyone else has to come up with their own shmish-shmortion of cammies uniforms.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just curious, but if white blends in with the white caps and yet is meant to help identify a downed person, why not paint it something like a bright orange? Or use bright orange tape?

Because it wouldn't look cool? That's about the only reason I can come up with. Your logic is sound. This is also why there were/(are?) high-viz orange flight suits for certain locations in the past.

To me, the Marine approach seems like the best compromise...put a helmet cover on that is "cool" in whatever accepted fashion of the time is, and then make the actual helmet a high-viz/reflective material underneath.

Although that might greatly reduce the number of gashes and chips in the reflective tape which makes it a true salty helmet to be respected by the newer guys.

Last edited:

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
IIRC in the day there had to be a certain % contrast color from white on the Bone Dome.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Because it wouldn't look cool? That's about the only reason I can come up with. Your logic is sound. This is also why there were/(are?) high-viz orange flight suits for certain locations in the past.

To me, the Marine approach seems like the best compromise...put a helmet cover on that is "cool" in whatever accepted fashion of the time is, and then make the actual helmet a high-viz/reflective material underneath.

Although that might greatly reduce the number of gashes and chips in the reflective tape which makes it a true salty helmet to be respected by the newer guys.
Can you explain or perhaps just comment that neither the USCG or USAF have adopted the USN approach? What do they know that USN does not?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Like how the USMC only spent $200,000 on the development of good digital cammies, but then everyone else has to come up with their own shmish-shmortion of cammies uniforms.

I don't know what you're talking about. Blueberries were awesome. I want to blend in with the ocean again.

:D

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Can you explain or perhaps just comment that neither the USCG or USAF have adopted the USN approach? What do they know that USN does not?
I don’t think the AF thinks in terms of at sea rescue at all. As for the USCG, I can’t say but they do have reflective tape on their helmets…just not all over them…maybe they fly over deep enough water!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I think Griz is right...the AF just doesn't think in those terms.

For the USCG...I don't have an answer, but I do wonder about a couple of things. First, I wonder if the CG has a significantly lower experience of their aviators going in the water, percentage wise. Thinking about what they fly, it's multi-engine fixed-wing and multi-engine helos. They of course have had their share of mishaps, but does that compare to the sheer number of jets the Navy has put in the water off the boat? Again, I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing the Navy has thought about that, which leads to...

The second thing is more about risk mitigation. Yes, the CG has reflective material on their blue helmets, which works in certain conditions. But if you're the Navy, why wouldn't you make your helmets both reflective AND contrast the water?

These are guesses, and maybe it's all poop. But from the Navy's standpoint, there doesn't seem to be a downside of having white helmets versus non-white ones other than coolness points (which I'm not opposed to, for the record).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Some parts of the Air Force do. They even carry a raft, wear an orange pressure suit, and fly a lot of their missions over water.

As for the helmet, I'll stick to mine.
You are right and I didn’t mean to imply they didn’t care or have no clue, it just isn’t as ingrained as it is in the sea services. BTW, nice dome but don’t U-2 guys wear an astronaut like helmet?

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Some parts of the Air Force do. They even carry a raft, wear an orange pressure suit, and fly a lot of their missions over water.

As for the helmet, I'll stick to mine.
Those are cool, Did you bribe *ahem* motivate the your riggers to create them?