• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So long HGU-55/P

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My goodness those look so much cheaper and more comfortable than HGU-84/56. It’ll never happen for us.

Is that LIFT helmet the same thing as the MACH (modular air crew helmet)?
I don't believe so.

However the new NAVAIR flight deck, maint and Helo pax cranial is about to hit the fleet at scale - and it's based on a Team Wendy non-ballistic "bump" tactical helmet with a low profile visor/goggle and ear-pro. Looks like a nice upgrade.
TW_EXFIL_LTP_RAIL3_COYOTE_BROWN_ANGLE_1.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
EMS use with @Gatordev ?

Only if I buy it myself (which is an option). I still sport a SPH-5 and it's terrible hearing protection.

Like Grizz said, not a new idea, but one that looks like a great option. I'm with HSMPBR...once the Navy FVL reaches SLEP, this might finally show up in the fleet.

Random8145

You know, this has me thinking. Since everyone gets jittery when unmanned combat fighter jets are discussed maybe we could just get rid of all that helmet stuff and give those selected for jets terminator-like bionic eyes! That would eliminate all that heavy stuff on your head.

The only problem is you’d have to give them back when your service is over.

View attachment 35695
No way, as a civilian taxpayer, I demand my pilots look cool while flying into combat, and helmets look way cooler.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's not just reflectivity, it's the color white to contrast the green or blue of the water. Is that helpful with lots of white caps? No since it gives false positives, but it can be helpful in larger swells and/or when the sun is at certain angles.

People absolutely disappear in heavy sea states, even when you're hovering right next to them. This is also why downed airmen and Rescue Swimmers are trained to make big splashes when the RU is in sight. It helps break out the person from the water.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
It's not just reflectivity, it's the color white to contrast the green or blue of the water. Is that helpful with lots of white caps? No since it gives false positives, but it can be helpful in larger swells and/or when the sun is at certain angles.

People absolutely disappear in heavy sea states, even when you're hovering right next to them. This is also why downed airmen and Rescue Swimmers are trained to make big splashes when the RU is in sight. It helps break out the person from the water.
Then just require that the helmet be painted white. I know how hard it is to find somebody in rough seas, especially when you're not right above them, but I can't believe that paint couldn't do just as good a job while being lighter.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Then just require that the helmet be painted white. I know how hard it is to find somebody in rough seas, especially when you're not right above them, but I can't believe that paint couldn't do just as good a job while being lighter.
Gentex developed a ultra reflective coating for helmets for USCG. Deployed with SPH-5. The tech was offered to NAVAIR who rejected it simply because they didn't come up with it first. The NAVAIR tradition of applying 100% white SOLAS or 3M reflective tape is one of those Naval Aviation "200 years of tradition, unhindered by progress" things.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gentex developed a ultra reflective coating for helmets for USCG. Deployed with SPH-5. The tech was offered to NAVAIR who rejected it simply because they didn't come up with it first. The NAVAIR tradition of applying 100% white SOLAS or 3M reflective tape is one of those Naval Aviation "200 years of tradition, unhindered by progress" things.
Hence the ball-grabbing harness.

number9

Contributor
The tech was offered to NAVAIR who rejected it simply because they didn't come up with it first.
At my previous employer (in the data center world) I referred to that as "Not Invented Here syndrome". It's infuriating..

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

At my previous employer (in the data center world) I referred to that as "Not Invented Here syndrome". It's infuriating..
I hate that shit. There are so many parallel programs across DoD trying to solve the same problems and wasting billions annually because we refuse to work together.