• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So long HGU-55/P

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Like BikerBoy said, we do a lot of "low" stuff (below FL450).

You also may be surprised to know the AF has dedicated SAR Wings, using the HC-130 and HH-60. They can effect rescues over 1,000 nm off the shore... much further than USCG air assets can (or so I'm told). CA ANG has a wing at the old NAS Moffett.
Yep, I have a friend that flies for the guard SAR unit in New York (106th). As for FL450…as a helo guy I start getting scared at 4000 agl.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Like BikerBoy said, we do a lot of "low" stuff (below FL450).

You also may be surprised to know the AF has dedicated SAR Wings, using the HC-130 and HH-60. They can effect rescues over 1,000 nm off the shore... much further than USCG air assets can (or so I'm told). CA ANG has a wing at the old NAS Moffett.
We did some work with the rescue squadron and their mini 53's back in Clark.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some parts of the Air Force do. They even carry a raft, wear an orange pressure suit, and fly a lot of their missions over water.

As for the helmet, I'll stick to mine.
I'd hate to think how far over the water y'all would have to be before you can't just point the nose towards shore and sailplane your way back. That jet has got to be able to glide for ages from FL600.

I mean assuming ejection isn't imminent and all . . .

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like how the USMC only spent $200,000 on the development of good digital cammies, but then everyone else has to come up with their own shmish-shmortion of cammies uniforms.

Easy to keep it cheap when the Canadians did all the work for them! Good on the Marines for saving money but the claim I've heard from many Marines that they came up with on their own is more myth than reality, except for the little EGA. Still annoys me that we don't wear Type II's in the desert because a Commandant got his kickers in a twist that they were too similar to the Marine desert cammies.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Easy to keep it cheap when the Canadians did all the work for them! Good on the Marines for saving money but the claim I've heard from many Marines that they came up with on their own is more myth than reality, except for the little EGA. Still annoys me that we don't wear Type II's in the desert because a Commandant got his kickers in a twist that they were too similar to the Marine desert cammies.
The new Navy at sea uniform (2POC, I think) isn’t that great. The center version shown below looks totally Soviet…you never go full Soviet.

IMG_1562.jpeg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The new Navy at sea uniform (2POC, I think) isn’t that great. The center version shown below looks totally Soviet…you never go full Soviet.

View attachment 38734

They look like prison lunch lady uniforms. I had seen the khaki and solid blue, is the two-tone blue actually one of the options or just a proposal?

For the love of all that is holy, why don't we just steal the Coastie's blue fatigues and call it good?

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Commander (Honorary) Daniel Craig, RN with ADM (Sheriff/Professor) Hans Gruber, RN.
As I said at my retirement (though a colleague of mine actually coined the saying): "If 'Commander, Navy Reserve' is a good enough rank for James Bond and Magnum, P.I., it's a good enough rank for me."