• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, do you like it? Flying in the military? What about living on a boat?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
If you really want to go to Law School, why don't you do that, then you can be a JAG.
Haven't you seen the show, they get to fly F-14's from the backseat!!!

ice

Oh boy, you're gonna get torn to shreds, in an internet sense, at least.

Anyway, you can search this site, which has been repeatedly answering this question for almost a decade, to fix your lack of knowledge.

I've searched the internet high and low. This was kind of a last resort. I know I'll get torn to shreds, but then again it seems like you'll get torn to shreds for asking where the bathroom is around here. So I can deal with it.

As for your very, very, ignorant attitude about, I don't know, the value of a BS degree (or SB, as my institution called it), well, you're just going to have to fix that on your own.
If I wasn't ignorant then I wouldn't be here.

I can answer your last question. Air Force.
Thank you.

If you really want to go to Law School, why don't you do that, then you can be a JAG.
Haven't you seen the show, they get to fly F-14's from the backseat!!!

Sarcasm or serious? I'm going to guess sarcasm. If I'm going to join the military I'm going to be a pilot. It's what I've wanted to do ever since I can remember.

Yeah, go AF.

He's very troll-ish...."ice"

Trollish? What the heck did I do?

And yes, "ice" as in "iceman". I suppose I'm going to get criticized for my username now.

E26

I've searched the internet high and low. This was kind of a last resort.

Respectfully, it doesn't seem you searched too hard, considering that you posted this in General Aviation when there's an entire forum dedicated to OCS [not OTS, remember: Navy].

CAMike

None
Contributor
ICEMAN Are you the kid that went snorkeling last year off Catalina Island AFTER he dumped the bucket of chum in the water?

Just read the threads here for a while longer- no need to reply.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I guess I'll search harder.

That's the spirit!

Seriously, though, we do want to help. However, we really like to help people who help themselves. Take a few days, do some serious digging around the site and if you have some specific questions feel free to start a new thread.

ice

Living on a boat.

Does anyone have a problem with it? Living on a boat is one of the things that draws me away from Naval Aviation and into Air Force aviation. I'm afraid I'll go mad sleeping in a tiny bunk on a floating piece of metal for 6 month deployments. Now don't get me wrong, if that was the only way I could fly I would do it without looking back. But in the air force one lives on land, which appeals to me.

Does anyone here mind the whole ship life thing and wish they had gone AF or at least be able to live on land if that was an option? Or is it not such a big deal and you get used to it?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
How about you go to Baseops.net ? Plenty of USAF brethren who you can chat with about flying and not living on a boat.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This lends itself real well to a T-Rex cartoon...

So, do you like it? Flying in the military? What about living on a boat?
Do you find it fun? When you wake up in the morning, do you look forward to going to work and flying? Even for those of you who have been doing it for quite some time?

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of becoming a military aviator. I have no idea which branch, but the ANG looks good from where I'm standing. If you do like it, what about it do you like?

My parents are also two of the most anti-military people there are. They believe that if I join, I will become a mindless order following killer, a malevolent heartless minister of death. Now, I highly doubt this is true, however has the training and experiences in the service changed you for better or worse?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
How about you go to Baseops.net ? Plenty of USAF brethren who you can chat with about flying and not living on a boat.

Or he can chat with WEBMASTER and some of other winged guys here who are land based... Or you can let someone with fleet experience answer his question... ass.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Or he can chat with WEBMASTER and some of other winged guys here who are land based... Or you can let someone with fleet experience answer his question... ass.

I wasn't being an ass. Maybe he didn't know there was a USAF forum similar to ours where he can get these questions answered for him. By the context of his post I figured he made up his mind whether he wanted to go Navy or Air Force.

Nobody "without fleet experience" was attempting to answer his questions that only someone with fleet experience could answer.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Does anyone have a problem with it? Living on a boat is one of the things that draws me away from Naval Aviation and into Air Force aviation. I'm afraid I'll go mad sleeping in a tiny bunk on a floating piece of metal for 6 month deployments. Now don't get me wrong, if that was the only way I could fly I would do it without looking back. But in the air force one lives on land, which appeals to me.

Does anyone here mind the whole ship life thing and wish they had gone AF or at least be able to live on land if that was an option? Or is it not such a big deal and you get used to it?

Based on my experience, you get used to it pretty quickly - it's a pain-in-the-ass in some respects, but you also get extremely close to your roommates, and close to a lot of the other pilots in the squadron. (There is a possibility that you will not be able to choose who you room with, depending on how junior you are.)

Do you find it fun? When you wake up in the morning, do you look forward to going to work and flying? Even for those of you who have been doing it for quite some time?

While I am still only a know-nothing applicant waiting for final select, I think you should spend some time looking at the thread "The great constantly changing photo gallery." How many people working for AT&T and Microsoft create never-ending photo galleries of what they do for a living. Not to mention the countless Novels, Feature Films, Coffee Table Books, etc. depicting the rich history of military aviation.

No job is always fun and perfect, but from the aviators I have spoken with, they much prefer their chosen career.