• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

So, do you like it? Flying in the military? What about living on a boat?

Ryan-90

I'm sure it would suck to be on a ship for 6 months, but what about as a pilot? Does it really bother you that much?

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Ship life is hard from a separation standpoint but you are a young guy and it seems easier if you don't have kids. I've been in for 15 years with 8 as enlisted on subs...my two 7 month cruises as an officer were tougher since I was separated from my kids. As far as life on board...the close knit group of guys in the squadron make all the diffence and you will get to leave the ship for 1.5 to 7 hrs a day depending on how and where you are flying.

Ryan-90

Ship life is hard from a separation standpoint but you are a young guy and it seems easier if you don't have kids. I've been in for 15 years with 8 as enlisted on subs...my two 7 month cruises as an officer were tougher since I was separated from my kids. As far as life on board...the close knit group of guys in the squadron make all the diffence and you will get to leave the ship for 1.5 to 7 hrs a day depending on how and where you are flying.

Well hopefully during the first few years of doing that I wouldn't have kids, but that does sound pretty damn fun even with being gone that long

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
You have to remember work-ups as well. You'll spend a lot of time in Fallon, NV which leads right into weekends in Tahoe. You also spend 3 or 4 weeks on the boat several times in the year leading up to deployment. These training events are where the squadron learns how to live and operate on the carrier and the aircrew practice every aspect of warfighting prior to getting in the big game.

Ryan-90

You have to remember work-ups as well. You'll spend a lot of time in Fallon, NV which leads right into weekends in Tahoe. You also spend 3 or 4 weeks on the boat several times in the year leading up to deployment. These training events are where the squadron learns how to live and operate on the carrier and the aircrew practice every aspect of warfighting prior to getting in the big game.

Yeah that's true. I think I would be more than willing to go through the obstacles to be able to fly though.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being on the ship doesn't suck, per se. The best flying, the whole reason for being a naval officer, are at sea. You stay busy. You feel like you have a real purpose. The camaraderie is great, the ports, a blast. As stated, the hard part is the separation, and you learn how to deal with that. After a couple months, it can get routine. Then the weeks get a bit longer. Of course the routine and tempo can be dramatically different from week to week and cruise to cruise, what with the war and all.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
With all I've said, I enjoyed being on cruise and getting to experience things that most can't imagine. I can't even do it justice by explaining it to you. Coming back to "Mom" at sunset or flying with one of your bro's and doing fly-by's of every ship in the battle group because you are just the air spare that wasn't needed. Those are just some of my good (flying) memories of cruise.

Ryan-90

Well it looks like this is the direction I want to go. Air Force is definitely out of the question now.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being on the ship doesn't suck, per se. The best flying, the whole reason for being a naval officer, are at sea. You stay busy. You feel like you have a real purpose.

THAT depends on what you're doing on cruise... while you may be doing something in the "great scheme of things", it's hard to feel like you have a purpose sometimes...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
THAT depends on what you're doing on cruise... while you may be doing something in the "great scheme of things", it's hard to feel like you have a purpose sometimes...

Hey, I will take that over wondering if my TPS report actually helps the company out or not.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Hey, I will take that over wondering if my TPS report actually helps the company out or not.

Well I can tell you one thing, if you don't start putting the damn new cover sheet on them, it is most definitely NOT helping the company.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Cruise is GRRRREAT !!! -- where else you gonna' get BBQ like this??

And FREE, too: :eek:

dsc01908smallvp5.jpg

Photo by A4sForever