• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNFO slots/ OCS availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglefo2001

I have seen some posts that SNA/OCS slots were full until JAN 03, and I was just wondering if anyone has any information on SNFO/OCS slots and availability because I have just recently started the process for NFO and my recruiter tells me if I get my paperwork together in the next week or two that I should be able to go to OCS in July. Any info on the accuracy of this date from anyone who has recently heard about an SNFO/OCS date would be appreciated. I hope the earliest isn't next year.

Thanks
Mike

cman

Mike, I think that you'll find conflicting information about availability for SNFO slots. I can tell you that when I first talked to my recruiter at the beginning of June, I was told, if accepted, I could expect to leave for OCS around February. He did say that there was a posibility that I could leave earlier. I think (and this is speculation on my part) that there are probably a number of variables that are constantly affecting the availability of slots. ie. attrition, changing of designators, people having to reschedule their OCS leave dates, and things of that nature.

I've read poster's comments that they were told by their recruiters that there were no SNA slots available until 2004, only to see a post a month later where an individual had just received a SNA slot and a OCS leave date before the end of this year. Also, unless I'm mistaken, I seem to remember reading that one or two people have recently been accepted for SNFO slots and were scheduled to leave in the next few months.

Hope this helps,
CMS

ryan77

I applied for SNA as my #1 choice and SNFO as #2. I was informed today that I got SNFO but my OCS date would be 9/03. That's a hell of a long time away.

Anyways, my recruiter says all SNA slots for Fiscal Year 2003 are full and SNFO will be full in the next couple weeks.

Slick

I submitted my package a few weeks ago and got my second choice, NFO. My leave date is Aug. 03. They are pretty booked with all of us wanna be fly boys. I think a lot of us will be in OCS together...hope I can keep up with you young punks.

Slick out

cman

Slick-- hey buddy, I think we're in the same boat. I just turned 28 last Jan. Just remember, anything we've lost (which I doubt is very much) we make up for in experience. Or, at lest that's what I like to tell myself.

By the way, is that Aug 03 2002, or 2003? I hope the former.

CMS

Hudson

slick and cman
Good to know that there are a few of us "older guys" trying to get in. Good luck guys.
Hudson

USN4LIFE

I have to say the samething, glad to know that I'm not the only old guy trying to get in. I am 29 years old but can still keep up with all the young pups out there.

cman

Just a quick question: I thought the age limit for NFO was 31, but today I saw something that said it was 30. Anyone know for sure?

cman

frogggystyle

You need to be commissioned by your 32nd birthday to be qualified for NFO is you are a prior enlisted, 30 if you are new to the military. Pilots are are to 31 for prior enlisted, but only 27 if you are new to the military. If you need more info, follow this link -

http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/1420/seven.pdf

Edited by - frogggystyle on 07/23/2002 07:07:02

Slick

CMS,

No, my date is 2003. I am a prior dude also. I worked on the F/A-18 as an electrician, got out in 96'. I work for the Dept. of the Navy as a civilian avionics engineer on the Hornet. I have one more semester at SDSU, my major is EE.

I talked with an NFO today. He's at the Navy Test Pilot School. Even as an NFO his job is to go up and actually fly all these cool birds...F-18's, F-16, T-2, T45, T38...He provides statistical data and tech. info. He told me he does everything but takeoff and land.

Endless possibilities gents...Stay motivated.

Slick out

Edited by - Slick on 07/23/2002 17:36:35

ryan77

Hey Slick,

How did you get in touch with an NFO? He probably gave you lots of useful insight.

We're stuck with early fall 2003 dates - the anticipation is already killing me. I spent some time at SDSU too so I'm sure you're having fun in sunny SD.

Ryan

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Glad to see some older guys were selected. I was hoping I would not be the only one. I get to OCS in December and by the time I start API I will be 31. Hopefully I can give the younger guys a run for their money.

Rainman

pilot
Probably doesn't apply to those posting. . .but for many reading; USMC does (and has had a habit of) waiver(ing) for age for both SNA and SNFO. Of course you've got to want to be a Marine Officer and compete physically with 22 year olds. ...OOOOOOOOOOO RAH!

Dave Shutter

Very true. The USMC recruiters I talked to said they can pretty much make up their own rules as far as age goes and this was proved when I got to API and met a Marine SNA who was 32 with no prior service, and yes, he was in great shape and I assume had a great app. as well. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.