• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Chances?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
No labs? Dude, labs were the best part of my engineering and science courses.
You know it, boss!

And you know what’s better than labs? Being a freaking lab instructor! As a senior in college majoring in geology, I was hired by the school to be an oceanography lab instructor since oceanography was part of the geology department…anyway, all the super-hot freshman girls who were trying to get their science requirement out of the way would take oceanography [because it was stupid easy] which included an oceanography lab. So…I’m the freaking oceanography lab instructor…hitting on the super-hot freshman girls in oceanography lab. Did I score? Nope! I blew it…bajillions of times! But at least I was an oceanography lab instructor…and made some $$$. ?

You know it, boss!

And you know what’s better than labs? Being a freaking lab instructor! As a senior in college majoring in geology, I was hired by the school to be an oceanography lab instructor since oceanography was part of the geology department…anyway, all the super-hot freshman girls who were trying to get their science requirement out of the way would take oceanography [because it was stupid easy] which included an oceanography lab. So…I’m the freaking oceanography lab instructor…hitting on the super-hot freshman girls in oceanography lab. Did I score? Nope! I blew it…bajillions of times! But at least I was an oceanography lab instructor…and made some $$$. ?
LOL! That is awesome!

But, anyone here enjoy proofs?

Physics vs Pure Math vs Applied Math

Any preference? And why? They each seem to have their plusses and minuses (I guess like anything else in life).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Physics vs Pure Math vs Applied Math

Any preference? And why? They each seem to have their plusses and minuses (I guess like anything else in life).
The Navy says to get a degree and don't suck too bad at it.

Don't overthink it. Get a degree in something you'd want to use if you don't get into the military, if you don't get to fly for the military, or you decide you don't want to stay in the military.

FWIW, I have a degree in theater.

The Navy says to get a degree and don't suck too bad at it.

Don't overthink it. Get a degree in something you'd want to use if you don't get into the military, if you don't get to fly for the military, or you decide you don't want to stay in the military.

FWIW, I have a degree in theater.
Thanks, Swanee. How did you get commissioned and what did you fly as a pilot?

So, what happens if you get SNA or NFO for OCS, get commissioned, but then wash out of flight training?

You then get placed into the Surface Warfare pipeline, even though you would go kicking and screaming? Why would the navy want a surface/division officer who has no desire to be in such a role? Isn't that a tad fair to both the officer and the sailors serving under such an officer? I don't propose a solution, but just a question nonetheless.

And, is the SWO commitment now 5 years or 4 years?

Thx.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would really recommend you poke around the site more and do some reading. A lot of the questions you're asking are answered here. Even if the answer is from several years ago, most of it still applies. I know the site search engine isn't very good, but you can use Google to search AW for your specific questions.

And, is the SWO commitment now 5 years or 4 years?

It's your commissioning source that determines your commitment. Unless something has changed recently with OCS, OCS and ROTC incur a 4 year commitment and USNA is 5 years active duty. All three also require a total of 8 years, with the balance of time not on active duty as part of the Inactive Reserve IRR. Generally speaking, that IRR time doesn't require anything of you.

Anything that requires specialized training will usually incur an additional contract extension (like aviation) with specific detailed commitments.

Dboom85

Banned
Congrats on your selection…I hope it works out for you. You still have many hurdles before you commission and earn your wings.

The bolded section above proves my point that it’s all a competition. The better you do, the more competitive you are. This applies to all selection boards.

As for offering others advice, stick to what you know. Your example above about your school’s NROTC is suspect. Do you personally know how many at the NROTC got aviation? How many got subs? Please provide specific statistics, otherwise it’s all hearsay. Or is this a “a friend of a friend said…”
Thank you sir. What I post on is what I’ve learned through this, so far, 3 year process of joining that will likely end up being 4 years. It is not meant to be misinformation. I do not have statistics just word of mouth information from NROTC alum of my year. No doubt each route has its perks, I did try to go NROTC but was unable since I was a community college transfer. Anyways my point is OCS takes a lot of variables out of the equation which I’m sure people like, I’m just reporting on what I’ve experienced up until this point. Also if your handle is accurate, I’d assume this whole process has changed since you were applying yourself.
Hi Dboom,

What was your GPA and major, if you do not mind me asking? Congrats on getting SNA.
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, 3.85 at university and 3.67 at community college.

Last edited: