• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Chances?

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
How do you hit all of the wickets necessary before your DH look with that kind of timeline?
I'm a yut yut type, but the fundamentals are the same - remember that everyone else in your peer group is likely in similar circumstances WRT how long it took them to finish flight school, so the playing field is generally level. The proverbial "time window" for DH isn't so narrow that a bad few years in CNATRA will crush an entire peer group, and field grade manning being what it is I don't think many communities will have issues with billet availability for the next few years.

You live the life of a flight school student- it's kind of like being in college again, except you're getting paid to be there. Some people get jobs while they're not in a class, but once you start a phase of flight school you're sole focus is to learn to be a good aviator.

And no, there are plenty of aviators who get out at the end of their commitment and do other things in life. Some go to the airlines, some go to graduate school, law school, med school, so go back to the family business, some stop flying altogether. This may blow your mind as you're trying to get into the club, but there are a lot of folks who are happy and ready to leave when their commitment is up. What gets you in at 24 doesn't keep you in at 34.
Thanks. I guess if you are getting paid as an officer while waiting for your pipeline, then maybe it won't be so bad. Perhaps one can work our hard, catch up on reading, or take a class and second job in the interim.

Thanks. I guess if you are getting paid as an officer while waiting for your pipeline, then maybe it won't be so bad. Perhaps one can work our hard, catch up on reading, or take a class and second job in the interim.
True. I know an Air Force Academy graduate who flew bombers and now is a real estate agent! He told me that he was interested in flying for the airlines and wanted to try something different.

@wallythenycat , you still haven’t answered my question.
So far, I have a 3.5 GPA, and I trying decide between physics and applied math. Would one major be more helpful or preferred than another? I think physics and pure math (all those proofs and analysis) would be harder than applied math. But, maybe harder looks better on paper.

Any thoughts, please?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So far, I have a 3.5 GPA, and I trying decide between physics and applied math. Would one major be more helpful or preferred than another? I think physics and pure math (all those proofs and analysis) would be harder than applied math. But, maybe harder looks better on paper.

Any thoughts, please?
Solid start so far. Any technical degree is good. In the end, you’ll end up doing lots of math in either degree. Don’t shy away from hard. One of my classmates graduated with a double degree…Nuclear Science and Computer Science. Dude was wicked smart….he was scoring in the 100+ on our Physics class mid-terms while the class average was in the 30s.

Solid start so far. Any technical degree is good. In the end, you’ll end up doing lots of math in either degree. Don’t shy away from hard. One of my classmates graduated with a double degree…Nuclear Science and Computer Science. Dude was wicked smart….he was scoring in the 100+ on our Physics class mid-terms while the class average was in the 30s.
Thanks. It IS hard. And, that is one reason why I am wondering how much time ROTC will take from the studies.

umijs

Thanks. It IS hard. And, that is one reason why I am wondering how much time ROTC will take from the studies.
Not sure about NROTC but I did AFROTC for a bit and it definitely took up a chunk of time. There were a lot of little things that we needed to do every week and it added up. Lots of hours that could’ve been used for finishing homework or studying were instead spent on AFROTC things. If you live on campus it’ll make things a lot easier.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you spoken to any NROTC advisors? They will gladly talk to you, and tell you if you are even eligible for the program. They will also tell you how much of a time commitment is required for NROTC.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Any thoughts, please?
Doesn't really matter honestly. You may be able to do both if your Physics program allows you to specialize in Statistical Mechanics. I would lean towards Applied Math being more useful since you will likely get more exposure to R, Python, machine learning/AI, and other compatible programming instead of being stuck in proofs.

As far as the Navy is concerned, your degree doesn't matter much except for some slight favor given to STEM degrees for designator selection and some lenience given for low GPAs. Otherwise, you could have a music or art history or archaeology degree (I have friends with these degrees) and still get commissioned and selected for Aviation. Caveat this with the fact that if you ever decide you want to go Restricted Line, your degree matters depending upon the designator/field.

Thanks, all. Lots of useful gouge here. I have not yet spoken to an NROTC advisor, but I plan to do so.

Applied math does seems to be the best of both worlds: a STEM without many proofs or labs.

Although it would be an honor to serve in the navy as an officer, my priorities now are getting the best grades possible. If I can do that will working towards a commission, great. If not, then OCS may better for me.

Thanks again and happy holidays.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Navy ROTC is NOT hard by any means. You take one Navy course (normally 3 credits) a semester and maybe spend 10 hours week on Navy ROTC activities, such as physical training, drills/labs (training, guest speakers, actual drills / cadences, etc.), and maybe other community service + team building events. Sometimes there may be mandatory study hours at the Navy ROTC building but you can use that time to do homework and/or study for non-NROTC classes.

Those events are normally allocated to not impact your classroom duties, since Navy ROTC is intended to set you up to earn a commission.

Like what @ea6bflyr said, have you talked to a local (or whatever university you plan on attending) NROTC unit? That would be a solid start…

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thanks, all. Lots of useful gouge here. I have not yet spoken to an NROTC advisor, but I plan to do so.

Applied math does seems to be the best of both worlds: a STEM without many proofs or labs.

Although it would be an honor to serve in the navy as an officer, my priorities now are getting the best grades possible. If I can do that will working towards a commission, great. If not, then OCS may better for me.

Thanks again and happy holidays.
No labs? Dude, labs were the best part of my engineering and science courses.