• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA and Depth Perception

Ghunter

Do you guys know if they perform the alternate tests at OCS for depth perception? I failed the one at MEPS but passed the one given by my optometrist (stereo fly).

Last edited:

DesertRooster

The King of Nothing
I've seen many, many forums about failing depth perception test from the Air Force and the Navy from many current pilots. Why do they keep the same test if so many people fail and go to an optometrist and pass those test?

exNavyOffRec

I've seen many, many forums about failing depth perception test from the Air Force and the Navy from many current pilots. Why do they keep the same test if so many people fail and go to an optometrist and pass those test?

MEPS deals with nearly all enlisted applicants where in most cases depth perception doesn't matter, so they want to get the people through, it is very possible that they are not given enough time to do the test and so they fail, the MEPS my NRD dealt with in most cases administered the test in a way to give the applicant a proper test time, that would also explain why when one of our candidates failed and they then found a civilian doc that would pass them how they would end up failing depth perception later on down the road and be redesignated.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
that would also explain why when one of our candidates failed and they then found a civilian doc that would pass them how they would end up failing depth perception later on down the road and be redesignated.
I really hope that doesn't still happen, sounds like some serious bait and switch going on there. I can see how if there are thousands of candidates and dozens of spots, they might justify to themselves that it narrows it down, but I still think it's bullshit since there are a significant number of current military pilots whose eyes are up to standards, they just don't gel well with the AFVT, myself included.

My story is similar to those already posted. No issues whatsoever with the book and 3D glasses test, still haven't passed the AFVT DP test. I was so heartbroken when I couldn't get better than a Pass B at MEPS, and they told me Pass D was required for pilots. Coupled with feelings of "what the hell is going on, I've been flying for years, how am I still alive if I have no depth perception."

exNavyOffRec

I really hope that doesn't still happen, sounds like some serious bait and switch going on there. I can see how if there are thousands of candidates and dozens of spots, they might justify to themselves that it narrows it down, but I still think it's bullshit since there are a significant number of current military pilots whose eyes are up to standards, they just don't gel well with the AFVT, myself included.

My story is similar to those already posted. No issues whatsoever with the book and 3D glasses test, still haven't passed the AFVT DP test. I was so heartbroken when I couldn't get better than a Pass B at MEPS, and they told me Pass D was required for pilots. Coupled with feelings of "what the hell is going on, I've been flying for years, how am I still alive if I have no depth perception."

I would guarantee it still is, you try enough doctors you will find one that will get you the answer you want/the candidate will get lucky and pass.

Ghunter

Do they administer the other two tests at OCS (random dot / titmus or Verhoeff test) if you fail the normal one?

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
MEPS deals with nearly all enlisted applicants where in most cases depth perception doesn't matter, so they want to get the people through, it is very possible that they are not given enough time to do the test and so they fail,

So we are telling possibly good candidates that they aren't qualified because we are lazy? That sounds about right. Why would we ever want to fix that issue?

Ryan Ensor

Went to my civilian doctor today after failing the depth perception at MEPS (depth to line b). Took the randot/stereo fly test and the dots still didn't pop out to me. Ended up not passing the pilot standard. I thought I would be more sad about this but when I really thought about it, I realized I want to be an officer in the Navy and serve my country, which is way more important than whatever position I am in. And I realized that the NFO really is key to the mission in every way just like the pilot is. I am officially applying as an NFO now and couldn't be more happy about it!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Went to my civilian doctor today after failing the depth perception at MEPS (depth to line b). Took the randot/stereo fly test and the dots still didn't pop out to me. Ended up not passing the pilot standard. I thought I would be more sad about this but when I really thought about it, I realized I want to be an officer in the Navy and serve my country, which is way more important than whatever position I am in. And I realized that the NFO really is key to the mission in every way just like the pilot is. I am officially applying as an NFO now and couldn't be more happy about it!

You sound like the perfect candidate to be @Brett327 's executive assistant.

Lesh

pilot
To add another data point- was called by recruiter two days ago of my SNA DQ due to depth perception (made it to line C). Instructed me to get an exam with an optometrist. Exam done same day, passed with flying colors (Titmus Fly- 40 seconds of arc). Sent paperwork to recruiter.

Heard back the next day that I was cleared. Easy-peasy.

KAK6060

Yep, I failed at MEPS, only got to line B. I did three months of vision therapy just to make sure, and passed the civilian tests no problem and was cleared for OCS. I'm so nervous about having a repeat situation at OCS though. Does anybody have any insight to the OCS dp test? Is it the same bs as the MEPS one? Its probably going to be the most terrifying 20 seconds of my life lol.

Igloojam

pilot
I got the randot test at OCS.
@RUFiO181

My good friend was an optometrist at the San Diego VA.... He told me that the reason why people pass the Randot and not the AFVT is because the Navy has their standards wrong.

He said that getting through Part D of the AFVT or Donut Test means you have to have a depth perception of 20 seconds of arc... HOWEVER

The Steronet Randot (book and glasses test), you only have to get to line 7, which is 40 seconds of arc...

Hope that makes sense...

In short, why does the AFVT (donut machine test) require a higher standard of depth perception.

Rufio I tagged you in the hope that you may have insight on this.

blackbeard

pilot
Like many of you, I also failed the depth perception at meps and was informed by my recruiter that I would be unable to apply for SNA. I asked him if I was able to get a second opinion from a civilian eye doctor after reading this thread and he was persistent in saying no and that I had to pass the test via meps. Any advice as to what I should say to him or what the waiver might be called for him to ask someone if he actually is unclear about the restrictions?