• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sig vs Sig

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
You are right, I meant matching numbers M-1's that had seen some use.

There is no way to have a "numbers matching" M1. The only serial numbered parts that were tracked were the receivers. You can have a date of mfgr correct gun (matching other parts date range s/ns with the receiver), but there is no way to tell if it is by chance or original. Virtually every single Garand in the US inventory has been rearsenaled at least once, and often several times.

/owns 4 of them

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Thank you squeeze. Obviously I don't know much about garands. I guess I was reffering to the guns you see that have stocks that are 2 different colors and beat to hell, and the blueing on the barrel doesn't match the reciever, vice the ones that actually look the way they should. I wouldn't mind having one, but they just aren't my thing. I was just using the garand to illustrate the point that there are far better collectible firearms out there if that is your intention with a "Limited Production" gun. How about an HK 94 semi-auto which could be had in 1984 for $600 and today will fech $5k? The list goes on and on.

Old NFO

None
squeeze said:
There is no way to have a "numbers matching" M1. The only serial numbered parts that were tracked were the receivers. You can have a date of mfgr correct gun (matching other parts date range s/ns with the receiver), but there is no way to tell if it is by chance or original. Virtually every single Garand in the US inventory has been rearsenaled at least once, and often several times.

/owns 4 of them
Actually there was one auctioned a couple of months ago on the CMP site. It WAS a documented orginal never issued, never reman'ed in the original date stamped paper, with the original paper twist still in the barrel. I "remember" the bid getting up to $13k before I quit watching it.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Old NFO said:
Actually there was one auctioned a couple of months ago on the CMP site. It WAS a documented orginal never issued, never reman'ed in the original date stamped paper, with the original paper twist still in the barrel. I "remember" the bid getting up to $13k before I quit watching it.

That's the gun I was referring to when I said "an unissued NIB M1." But "numbers matching" is a misnomer when it comes to Garands, as the guns s/n is stamped in only one place, the receiver, so there are no numbers to match, only date of mfgr lot #'s for parts.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Old NFO said:
Actually there was one auctioned a couple of months ago on the CMP site. It WAS a documented orginal never issued, never reman'ed in the original date stamped paper, with the original paper twist still in the barrel. ...
It figures ... I wasn't "here" and thus remained clueless while passing time in the Territory in a squeezed lime-induced fog.

An unissued Garand? Hardly any extant. I would have jumped for that particular piece .... dollars be damned. You can't take $$$ with you --- but you can a Garand.

Old NFO

None
A4sForever said:
It figures ... I wasn't "here" and thus remained clueless while passing time in the Territory in a squeezed lime-induced fog.

An unissued Garand? Hardly any extant. I would have jumped for that particular piece .... dollars be damned. You can't take $$$ with you --- but you can a Garand.

Agreed A4, I gave up at $10,000. THat was WAY over my budget... dammit... I've shot/owned quite a few of them. The one I have now is a reissued 1951 Springfield, new WWII stock, new WWII sling, etc. It has about 200 rounds through it and is shooting about 1 MOA (much better than I can). My only problem is every time I take it to Quantico, everybody wants to buy it!!!!:(

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where'd you find a "new" (production?) WWII-profile stock? I've heard CMP's are WWII profile, but I've only seen that one grainy picture on their site and its a really blonde stock. DGR does nice work, but they are $$$. And Boyd's, well, Boyd's is a late profile and sucks.

Do tell.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
How about an HK 94 semi-auto which could be had in 1984 for $600 and today will fech $5k? The list goes on and on.

A product of the 89 Import Ban and the 94 Assault Weapons Ban (it still exists in some states...)... oh and the fact that HK = overpriced

That being said, I wish I had one...

Old NFO

None
squeeze said:
Where'd you find a "new" (production?) WWII-profile stock? I've heard CMP's are WWII profile, but I've only seen that one grainy picture on their site and its a really blonde stock. DGR does nice work, but they are $$$. And Boyd's, well, Boyd's is a late profile and sucks.

Do tell.
I grew up in Texarkana, AR. There was, and still is, a little place called Red River Army Depot out there. They had literally thousands of M-1's and 1911's along with spares that were surplused in the 1960's. An old family friend worked out there and he picked up four brand new WWII M-1 stocks that had never been on a rifle. I "think" I paid $50 for it back in the 70's. It has all the correct cartouches, marks, etc. I got the sling from him too, and it came from the same place. There used to be a gun store in town that had barrels of M-1's for $17.50 each, you pick it, and barrels of 1911's $50 each, you pick it.... Wish I had been smart enough to pick a few back then.

GMan1976

Banned
Hey everyone... thanks again for the help. I made a purchase today of a pre-owned Sig P226R Grade 1 Condition from a dealer. It's all black and has a black stainless slide. I liked the silver stainless model better, but couldn't find a quality pre-owned one online or out in town. A new silver stainless was just too expensive compared to an equally good pre-owned no frills black model. The difference being aroun 300 bones. Anyway, I'm very happy with my choice and I pick it up on Fri! (3 day wait).

Now to decide what the next item on my arsenal menu will be... :)

"Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle!
Mrs. Parker: No, you'll shoot your eye out. "

Attachments

• SIG226Rblackstainless.jpg
    SIG226Rblackstainless.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 77
  • SIG226Rblackstainless2.jpg
    SIG226Rblackstainless2.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 59

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
A product of the 89 Import Ban and the 94 Assault Weapons Ban (it still exists in some states...)... oh and the fact that HK = overpriced

That being said, I wish I had one...

Actually HK was very proactive in taking the 94 off the market. They actually did so before the ban. There has been alot of pressure to produce them again at their plant right here in Georgia, but they won't have it. Even after sale of "HK clones" in the last few years has sky rocketed. HK, like Colt, would much rather have the more lucrative military and police contracts than civilian sales. An HK rep I spoke with about a year ago said that the higher ups are of the European mentality that civilians don't need firearms. They don't want to have to deal with the political and media headache of building what is essentially a semi-auto MP-5. A large part of the reason 94's cost so much today is because people want them to use their auto sears in. Having a registered HK sear allows you to have a full auto G-3, MP-5k, Navy, SD....

Old NFO

None
GMan1976 said:
Hey everyone... thanks again for the help. I made a purchase today of a pre-owned Sig P226R Grade 1 Condition from a dealer. It's all black and has a black stainless slide. I liked the silver stainless model better, but couldn't find a quality pre-owned one online or out in town. A new silver stainless was just too expensive compared to an equally good pre-owned no frills black model. The difference being aroun 300 bones. Anyway, I'm very happy with my choice and I pick it up on Fri! (3 day wait)."
NICE! Much nicer than the old Colt that was my first gun....:D